The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to university anymore?

Scroll to see replies

:smile::smile:
Reply 41
At the end of the day it depends what you want to do with your life.
With some professions it's pretty essential to get a degree, for instance there is no way round becoming a doctor or a fully qualified lawyer without a degree.
On the other hand, for some jobs a degree is a waste of time. For example, my brother is a commercial pilot, and for him, uni was a) not economically viable, and b) would have been a waste of time, as he already had a place on his course.
Reply 42
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
The job market won't stay terrible forever and there is still options to further your love for a subject through masters programmes and even PHDs as well as other ways of making yourself shine above the rest by volunteering, internships during the summer and being involved in societies.

Just wondering what uni do you go and what societies are you in?
How do societies improve your employability? Do you list them on your CV
Reply 43
Original post by ...mo...
What is better

1st, Economics at Leicester
2.1, Business at Birmingham
2.2, English at Oxford

I think they're on par with each other.
Reply 44
YES to answer your question

If your planning on going to uni: lets focus on our A Levels
If not: Look for jobs/training
Reply 45
Original post by charlie9872
In the real world? yes. You're only going to better yourself and career prospects by having a degree.

On TSR? It depends, if its in the top 10 and you're studying maths, physics, medicine, dentistry etc. then yes - If you don't or go to a 'dreaded' ex-poly then OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE!!!!

To sum up, if you want to go to University, go - don't let others influence your decision. Half of the people offering 'advice' and degrade people for where they go to University haven't even started their A-levels.

Definately doesnt progress you as a guarentee. An awful lot of the time, you could have been higher in your career if you worked up from the bottom after A levels in the same industry.

If you wish to work in a career which requires a degree to even work there (STEM) then of course. If you want to do 3 years of sociology to go and be a junior manager at top man, skip out the waste of three years. You will grow up more, learn more life skills and be more professional working your way up for three years than puking outside the SU.

In these jobs it is often the manner of the person that employers like. Just due to society, good hardworkers who are future stars tend to do well at school and tend to be pushed towards university. However, if you are a good egg, it will show and you will rise according to your merit anyway.

If you are good and hardworking, provided you choose a suitable industry, you will do well. No amount of degrees will compensate for being useless.

Why go to uni if your end goal is to do something you can attain in the same time frame without doing so?
Reply 46
Original post by littleone271
He is wrong though. I think perhaps you're missing the point. He was saying that you need a 2:1 or above from a really good university and that going to a lower university is a waste of time. If I get a 2:2 or above in a psychology degree at bedfordshire then because they're BPS accredited it means I can still go on to be a psychologist. I know women who have gone to really good universities and come out with degrees and even masters degrees and haven't actually put it to any use because they would rather be stay at home mums.

Obviously it makes a difference to job prospects and if I had an unconditional offer for Oxford or Cambridge then I highly doubt I'd be considering bedfordshire. My choice is between bedfordshire and portsmouth. Anyway the point is that he said unless you get in to a top university there is no point in going at all which is obviously wrong.

The second half of your post is what I was getting at. Obviously a degree from a less prestigious uni doesn't automatically mean you have zero chance at succeeding at anything, ever. All I was saying is that a better university will make better oppoprtunities easier to you, on average.

Probably should have said that "the other posters was partly right.
Just don't do a degree that puts you in the mindset of you being too overqualified for a normal job when in fact you're too underqualified for a graduate job. Besides you've not much to lose. If you end up without a job, you won't have to pay back much or any of the student loan and if you earn many millions, £30k+ of debt won't mean much to you over 30 years.
It depends for what course, many people graduate from university with 2:1 or 1st and get into graduate jobs, OP you didn't get the grade required by all graduate schemes you can only put that down to yourself for not working as hard enough - university and all aspect of life is to weed out the people who cannot do well, but there is still many opportunities for you to get training and find a job.

Personally, I want to study Computer Science at university and at the same time I like to meet like minded individuals and form friendships at uni, the environment, the free-mindedness etc and for me if I were on some half-witted IT training course I would never be able to compete with someone with a CompSci degree from a top 10 uni.

EDIT: sorry, my mind was on another thread, OP is not you I was referring to- but i stand corrected on the issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd say yes, it's definitely worth it. This is coming from someone who dropped out of uni after a term after starting in 2011, and faced the tough decision of going for 2012 entry with the new fees or just not going at all. I decided the experience is worth the money- you don't just get a degree, you get independence, get to meet like-minded people (through your course and also through societies) and make yourself more employable in the future. I really enjoyed my experience of uni, the only reason I left was because the course I was studying wasn't right for me.
Original post by ...mo...
Just wondering what uni do you go and what societies are you in?
How do societies improve your employability? Do you list them on your CV

Well, you'll probably think less of me now but I went to Bath Spa University. I admit, I didn't try the hardest during my A level years.

I was in the volunteering society (which I was vice president) and actively took part in Raising and Giving society as well as the subject society (but they are just excuses for drinking :p: ) I was also elected student representative for the School of Society, Humanities and Management for two years running.

I think they improve your chances of employability because they show you can do more than just study. I think they help you gain social skills and contacts that could be useful for later employment. Regardless they help you grow as a person and I think that counts for a lot.

I do list a lot of the volunteering projects I did on my CV. Some of which were quite large others required us to act fast such as the Japan relief aid (we raised thousands of pounds for that).

If you haven't gone to university yet I seriously recommend joining a few societies and taking an active part in them :smile: Where do you plan on going and what do you intend on reading?
Reply 51
The people with degrees who can't get jobs are those who get 3rd and 2:2 from ex-polys. Also it's not a debt and will never burden you financially. What a waste of bandwidth
Original post by cl_steele
well seeing as you wont pay back the money anyway untill you get a job theres no harm in it ... plus whilst many with degrees arent getting jobs even fewer with out are unless you want to be a bin man?

Excellent point well made lol.
Original post by c471
Definately doesnt progress you as a guarentee. An awful lot of the time, you could have been higher in your career if you worked up from the bottom after A levels in the same industry.

If you wish to work in a career which requires a degree to even work there (STEM) then of course. If you want to do 3 years of sociology to go and be a junior manager at top man, skip out the waste of three years. You will grow up more, learn more life skills and be more professional working your way up for three years than puking outside the SU.

In these jobs it is often the manner of the person that employers like. Just due to society, good hardworkers who are future stars tend to do well at school and tend to be pushed towards university. However, if you are a good egg, it will show and you will rise according to your merit anyway.

If you are good and hardworking, provided you choose a suitable industry, you will do well. No amount of degrees will compensate for being useless.

Why go to uni if your end goal is to do something you can attain in the same time frame without doing so?

Why not? The opportunities there for a lot of people, the government are offering loans with a pretty much un-noticeable payback rate and you'll have a lot of fun in the process. I'm not going to Uni in September just to go and work and get a degree, I'm going to get out of this ****-hole of a town that I live in, I don't just want to go and get a job, I'm still young, I want to live my life a bit more. One of my good mates decided to drop out of college and get a boring 9-5 job - he's on ****e pay because of his lack of qualifications, he never goes out after work because he's too tired, so he's got the weekend to do the things he wants then it just repeats... why would I want this now? This is the sort of thing I want to be doing when i'm 23/24, not when I'm still a teenager.

There's also hardly any worth while jobs going at the moment, I don't want to pass up the opportunity of a degree to have no guarantee of work, or an incredibly poor job. Ever thought of Uni being an escape for 3 years from our current job market? I want to join the police, but guess what, there's a freeze on recruitment, meaning there's **** all chance of getting there for the time being. Who knows, in 3 years when i've graduated it could be open and I'll walk into a steady job due to having a related degree under my belt, something other applicants won't. If its not, I can apply for various graduate positions where what degree and where you got it from doesn't matter and already having 3 years retail experience under my belt, with I'm sure more to come I'll have a good chance of landing a decent job, with a decent starting salary - most likely the same as what it would of taken me if I was to start at your bog standard 9-5 role that I would take if I don't go and get a degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Why not? The opportunities there for a lot of people, the government are offering loans with a pretty much un-noticeable payback rate and you'll have a lot of fun in the process. I'm not going to Uni in September just to go and work and get a degree, I'm going to get out of this ****-hole of a town that I live in, I don't just want to go and get a job, I'm still young, I want to live my life a bit more. One of my good mates decided to drop out of college and get a boring 9-5 job - he's on ****e pay because of his lack of qualifications, he never goes out after work because he's too tired, so he's got the weekend to do the things he wants then it just repeats... why would I want this now? This is the sort of thing I want to be doing when i'm 23/24, not when I'm still a teenager.

Oh no, how could you possibly work from the age of 18? its just too difficult, you do need 3 years to go drinking. Also, many many people 'live their life' while having a job.

I fail to see why it is acceptable to go to university because of your peter pan syndrome.

It is funny how the people who want to go to uni 'for mad timez lolz' and little more, are usually the ones who stomp their feet about being an adult when they are 18.

You are an adult when you act responsibly and control your own life. Going to uni to push back the time when you have to be responsible and grown, and actually like do work for your money, is about as far from an adult decision as possible.

Also, your mate is hardly a good example, there will always be exceptions and variations. Firstly, if he had A levels, that would be more appropriate to my point. Secondly, so what if he earns little money? If he does well in the job, when you graduate, I guarentee he will be on far better money. Also, he will probably be more mature, more life experienced and not have run up anywhere near the same debt to get to that position.

And my point was not you should not go to uni and take any old job. It was if you wish to take up a position like retail manager etc when you graduate, you should work in that industry and work your way up there.
Original post by c471
Oh no, how could you possibly work from the age of 18? its just too difficult, you do need 3 years to go drinking. Also, many many people 'live their life' while having a job.

I fail to see why it is acceptable to go to university because of your peter pan syndrome.

It is funny how the people who want to go to uni 'for mad timez lolz' and little more, are usually the ones who stomp their feet about being an adult when they are 18.

You are an adult when you act responsibly and control your own life. Going to uni to push back the time when you have to be responsible and grown, and actually like do work for your money, is about as far from an adult decision as possible.

Also, your mate is hardly a good example, there will always be exceptions and variations. Firstly, if he had A levels, that would be more appropriate to my point. Secondly, so what if he earns little money? If he does well in the job, when you graduate, I guarentee he will be on far better money. Also, he will probably be more mature, more life experienced and not have run up anywhere near the same debt to get to that position.

And my point was not you should not go to uni and take any old job. It was if you wish to take up a position like retail manager etc when you graduate, you should work in that industry and work your way up there.

This doesn't happen 'just like that' anymore. Having worked at Asda, where they 'talk' of opportunities of working your way up, its simply not the case anymore. I remember the examples of the retail managers that they showcased, they had all been working at the store for at least 15 years, meaning they've been working for pretty crap pay for a significant amount of time before they'd reap the benefits of this experience. So then compare the three or four people that had worked their ways up, to the 6 or 7 graduates they had working there, fresh from University where they didn't endure the years of **** working as a shop floor assistant (something I've personally experienced and never want to ever again) and are straight on an even playing field and equal pay. Because of the current job situations, promotion within the company isn't like it used to be and even if you can work your way up, it takes years, more than the 3 years it takes to get a degree. Even then, while at Uni you can get a part time job working in retail and be in an even better situation.

Also, talking about acting 'responsible'. I've had a job since I was 15, and since then I've never been out of employment, I pay for literally everything I need, and don't get any help from my parents, nor have I for years. - I fail to see how not wanting to work for a few years to have some fun, study a subject I'm interested in and further myself academically makes me irresponsible.

About my mate. Yes, he might be on more money, but, over time when I gain more experience in the relevant field, when I try and get a higher position, because I have the degree I'll instantly become more attractive to the employer.

You can speak all you want about people going and getting jobs instead of going to University, but in reality its not the better option. It might be in the short term, but in the long term, the person with the degree will come out on top.

Edit: just read one of your threads... So you're a mature student? So contradictory its untrue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
This doesn't happen 'just like that' anymore. Having worked at Asda, where they 'talk' of opportunities of working your way up, its simply not the case anymore. I remember the examples of the retail managers that they showcased, they had all been working at the store for at least 15 years, meaning they've been working for pretty crap pay for a significant amount of time before they'd reap the benefits of this experience. So then compare the three or four people that had worked their ways up, to the 6 or 7 graduates they had working there, fresh from University where they didn't endure the years of **** working as a shop floor assistant (something I've personally experienced and never want to ever again) and are straight on an even playing field and equal pay. Because of the current job situations, promotion within the company isn't like it used to be and even if you can work your way up, it takes years, more than the 3 years it takes to get a degree. Even then, while at Uni you can get a part time job working in retail and be in an even better situation.

As iv said before, this is often due to the attitude of employers. If genuine talent started seeing university as a tool for qualification, rather than fun times, a degree would not be seen in the same light in many jobs.

It is this way because the social attitudes are generally the clever, talented people go to uni, most who leave school at gcses are less academicly gifted.

It was actually in the other thread on virtually the same topic, in fact (I do apologise i thought it was this one, hence i was carrying on some points from there). Higher calibre alternatives are the way forward. Going to uni to study a subject you have no intention of working with often provides no benefit to the individual, employer, or tax payer. a credible college/uni level course in areas like management would be far better.

About my mate. Yes, he might be on more money, but, over time when I gain more experience in the relevant field, when I try and get a higher position, because I have the degree I'll instantly become more attractive to the employer.

no you wont! It is the nature of the beast. Talented people go to uni, it is societies attitude (and wrongly so).
They specify degree because of the above points i made. Your degree (unless in a subject in which you work), doesnt matter two hoots to the employer 9/10 times. It is just a convenient guage of certain skills and hard work. They look for attributes, almost certainly non of which are gained at university.

You can speak all you want about people going and getting jobs instead of going to University, but in reality its not the better option. It might be in the short term, but in the long term, the person with the degree will come out on top.

Not really. As iv said, society pushes talent into degrees. There are many many high succesful non-grads, and many unemployed graduates. This is because a degree doesnt change you. A harder worker will be a hard worker whatever they do, a degree is only a bonus is you are a good worker. If you are not, a degree is of little to no benefit.

Edit: just read one of your threads... So you're a mature student? So contradictory its untrue.

care to explain? When have I said university is bad?
I consistantly say it should be used for the right reasons. Why on earth do people believe they are entitled to shirk life for a few years?
Such a first world problem 'oh no, I dont want to get a job and work all the time', it is completely self centred, when people have the opportunities to make something of themselve very easily, by whatever means. People across the world would kill to have the opportunities that young people in the UK get, yet our teenagers persist to make out they have it so rough and are entitled to a break.

FYI, I am a mature student, who served 5 years in the army before taking a degree in engineering. This is an industry where you cannot achieve responsibility without a degree. And my leaving was not based on lack of potential, but the fact I wish to have a family and not spend 6 months out of every 2 years picking up the body parts of what used to be my friends.
How is this contradictory?
Reply 57
Yeah of course university is about having fun but its still about what you do there. I myself have **** A-levels I didnt want to go to uni two years ago, I've worked hard climbed the career ladder but in the end you hit a brick wall because theres absolutely no way you can hit a top earner job without a degree in the relevant field.

Defiantely go to uni if you have a certain career in mind and know why your taking the course whatever the cost. But dont go not knowing if it will actually put you in a career like alot of the **** unis will tell you it will.
Original post by Moooooooose
I'd say yes, it's definitely worth it. This is coming from someone who dropped out of uni after a term after starting in 2011, and faced the tough decision of going for 2012 entry with the new fees or just not going at all. I decided the experience is worth the money- you don't just get a degree, you get independence, get to meet like-minded people (through your course and also through societies) and make yourself more employable in the future. I really enjoyed my experience of uni, the only reason I left was because the course I was studying wasn't right for me.

Sorry the same thing happened to me! I was wondering what you were originally doing? and what you changed to do? are you enjoying it? I'm currently reapplying for exactly the same reasons
I don't know more UK students don't venture out into Europe with the £9k fee introduction. It's a lot cheaper and some places you could be I'd of love to have gone to. Probably comes down to there being a lack of students taking MFL to A-Level.

ETH Zurich is a good example. Absolutely amazing university in an equally amazing location. They teach both in German and English I believe and costs less than £500 a semester for students to attend. The only downside is living in Switzerland is way, way, way more expensive than Britain. They estimate (quite generously) that it'd cost 22000 CHF for everything a year which is around £15000, so the same as in Britain, but with the British NHS, I believe they'll cover in Europe.

Other countries like Germany and France are even cheaper when you consider total costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending