The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You can still technically become a clinical psychologist with a social psych degree, but as post grad training it so competitive, they might look favourably on people who have more experience of it. Modules in a normal psych degree will cover lots of clinical elements which the lough one will not. I was going to apply there as the course does look incredible, but I didn't like the university.

Sorry to hear about your rejection, though you've got some other great offers!
Reply 2
Where does it say Bristol is top for Psych? A lot of people are saying that, but as I understood it the tops were (taken from The Times in rank order):
1) Oxford
2) Camebridge
3) York
4) St. Andrews

I'm sure it is really good for it, just wondering where the leaguetable as it were is from
Reply 3
sorry, by top I meant 'one of the top'...as in top 10, probably closer to top 5. But yeah, it's very competitive and I obviously didn't have the edge they were looking for! ah well...

Yeh I like the look of the loughborough course, but am not sure bout the university also...so I don't really know where I'm going!!

Thanks for replies :-)
Reply 4
Its tricky cause all your offers are at perfectly nice places aren't they, there aren't any horrible ones that you can discount. Apparently the staff at Exeter are very laid back and approachable though if that helps. Also at the uni day in Manc their representative was very nice when I asked a question and gave me playing cards a rubber duck - I was very inclined to go there lol! Its amazing what a rubber duck can do!!!!
Reply 5
Hey Marcia,
Sorry about your rejection from Bristol for Psychology, I got one too last week and I don't actually know of anyone who was successful so you're not alone if that helps! Its probably not that you didn't have the 'edge', I sent them an email and they said they had around 1500 applicants for 75 places so the odds are incredibly slim anyway. You've probably got to have a string of A*s to get in and have a perfect statement which is pretty difficult.
I've visited Exeter for Psych and the department seemed good and I've heard Southhampton is good for Psych too. I don't know much about which of your Uni's are good for clinical psych so I'm not much help there but perhaps you could do an MSc in Clinical Psychology after the Bsc which would definitely give you the experience?
Hope everything works out & good luck deciding!
Zoe x

Latest