The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy at UWE 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kirsty5
Hello :smile:

Sorry to intrude on your UWE thread, but just wondered if anyone could answer a few questions :smile: Somehow I managed to over look UWE I didn't think I would meet criteria academically but over looking it now think I could actually have a chance! I've already submitted my application and have an interview at Northampton and still haven't heard back from Bournemouth and ir noticed UWE has opened for clearing so if I happen to be unsuccessful at my previous options I thinking applying through clearing to UWE is my next step :smile: I've read all the information online but it's not the same as attending an open day and finding it all out face to face which I've done with other choices! So basically wondered if anyone can give me a bit more info on course content, e.g placements - how long for each year, places blah blah ... Like Northampton you do 6week, 9week, 12week according to each year of uni and you have the option to go somewhere within the EU for placement etc :smile: also what's the whole questionnaire thing about, confused! Lol, sorry for the essay and all the questions! Thankssss :smile:

Hey all welcome on the uwe thread....yes uwe do not look at academic side, they see the whole person, the talk we went to sat was great, 9 week placement in year 1 in May .....so they teach you stuff before you go. Uwe seem really good at OT and they have added extras in the course such as Grad professional development unit...helping you prepare for a job. I loved uwe, lovely campus, nice people and great well regarded lecturers in the field. You do a Biographical questionnaire - answer 5 -6 q's about yourself anf then a 1 to 1 interview, very relaxing and nice interview style. I would recommend you apply....tazig on the forum needs a few under 25's as at least 6 of us so far are over 35 ! Go for it !!!:smile:
Original post by footsteps
Just wanted to say how lovely it was to meet every one, I can't wait to start! TaziG I hope you will feel comfortable with all us oldies, I'm sure you will find lots in common with everyone even with the age gap!

Hi footsteps lovely chatting to you, don't be surprised you got in...we all have something to add to the course, you deserve it .....see you in sept ! tanned and raring to go....maybe I will be the warden on site to calm the youngsters on their first weeks with unrestricted booze!! Joy of joys !
Original post by Citrus queen
Sorry we missed you, hope all goes well for uwe and an interview, a group of us found a pub and had a good chat and the lecturer said there was lots of spaces left at UWE so not full and more interviews planned, so best of luck....
Sound's like you all had a great day, yes well it's just fingers crossed for now. I'll keep you all updated on here if anything happens for me at UWE
Reply 143
Hi footsteps lovely chatting to you, don't be surprised you got in...we all have something to add to the course, you deserve it .....see you in sept ! tanned and raring to go....maybe I will be the warden on site to calm the youngsters on their first weeks with unrestricted booze!! Joy of joys !

Thanks I think I figured it out! I sold myself to them as a traditional loyal NHS employee, while I think you and the others sold a more modern private sector worker! Shows again what a great place uwe is as it was looking for people that fit in all areas of ot, not just within the NHS! Unfortunatly I know whose more likely to get work at the end of the course so I'm really going to have to up my game so I'm able to work in both the private or public sector!!
I did lol at your comment about being tanned, I don't do tanned, I go red, sometimes peel, then go back to white lol, I will be the same shade of white that you saw me at the weekend lol!
If you or anyone else comes back to bristol let me know, I would love to meet up again, maybe we could meet up with sarasp on her lunch!
I don't think you should bother wasting your money going to soton lol you know you want to study with us lol! Where ever you do go, you will make a great ot!
Original post by footsteps
Thanks I think I figured it out! I sold myself to them as a traditional loyal NHS employee, while I think you and the others sold a more modern private sector worker! Shows again what a great place uwe is as it was looking for people that fit in all areas of ot, not just within the NHS! Unfortunatly I know whose more likely to get work at the end of the course so I'm really going to have to up my game so I'm able to work in both the private or public sector!!
I did lol at your comment about being tanned, I don't do tanned, I go red, sometimes peel, then go back to white lol, I will be the same shade of white that you saw me at the weekend lol!
If you or anyone else comes back to bristol let me know, I would love to meet up again, maybe we could meet up with sarasp on her lunch!
I don't think you should bother wasting your money going to soton lol you know you want to study with us lol! Where ever you do go, you will make a great ot!

Cheers for that...I had not thought about the type of ot but now you say it I think uwe are taking both types, yes I think kazzaC, me and sarah seem more industry ....BUT it will be great finding out all styles for ot, I think the course sounds fantastic and i am not going to go to southampton - Yes I will need to go back to Bristol for accom etc so yes we must meet up again, we will before sept, I am so scared of my Kenya trip in 3 1/2 weeks. Never worked in any medical setting so it will be challenging!!
Reply 145
Hi all - I think they take a real mix of people, but more than that, I think they take those who have enough transferable skills, who want to do the course and who came over well in the interview. I know the voluntary sector and commissioning really well, and I think I can communicate with people (!) but it's still a pretty big gamble, as like citrus queen I've never worked in a health or care setting.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're all in - so on day one, we all start at the same place, and learn lots about ourselves on the journey. I'm determined to keep an open mind and experience lots of different aspects of OT - I don't want to limit my options by trying to link my future career to my past one!

I'd be up for meeting up sometime before September - I don't get much of a lunch break (45 mins) and the summer at work will be hectic so I'll probably skip lunch a lot - but I'd be happy to do a Saturday again - or I can arrange to not be working one day ( I do 2 weeks work in 9 days so get a day off every other week). Anyway let me know if you want to arrange something at some point.
Reply 146
Hi I am debating whether to go to the applicant day on weds 7th march...as UWE is my top choice....decsions, decisions are a nightmare.....uwe is fab really and lovely people on the course, you are the only other person with a soton offer ! and jemima puddleducks daughter ..sorry I missed you sat :smile:

I reckon you should go to it, just so you don't regret it later on kind of thing :smile:
Lol I have seen a few people around the forums with offers from there but none I have spoken to other than you.
Reply 147
Hey all welcome on the uwe thread....yes uwe do not look at academic side, they see the whole person, the talk we went to sat was great, 9 week placement in year 1 in May .....so they teach you stuff before you go. Uwe seem really good at OT and they have added extras in the course such as Grad professional development unit...helping you prepare for a job. I loved uwe, lovely campus, nice people and great well regarded lecturers in the field. You do a Biographical questionnaire - answer 5 -6 q's about yourself anf then a 1 to 1 interview, very relaxing and nice interview style. I would recommend you apply....tazig on the forum needs a few under 25's as at least 6 of us so far are over 35 ! Go for it !!!:smile:

Lol. A guy I spoke to in the first year said he only has 2 school leavers in his class. So out clas may be the same, who knows. At least I'll have mummy figures whilst I am home sick haha.
Reply 148
Original post by SaraSp
Hi all - I think they take a real mix of people, but more than that, I think they take those who have enough transferable skills, who want to do the course and who came over well in the interview. I know the voluntary sector and commissioning really well, and I think I can communicate with people (!) but it's still a pretty big gamble, as like citrus queen I've never worked in a health or care setting.

I guess what I'm saying is that we're all in - so on day one, we all start at the same place, and learn lots about ourselves on the journey. I'm determined to keep an open mind and experience lots of different aspects of OT - I don't want to limit my options by trying to link my future career to my past one!

I'd be up for meeting up sometime before September - I don't get much of a lunch break (45 mins) and the summer at work will be hectic so I'll probably skip lunch a lot - but I'd be happy to do a Saturday again - or I can arrange to not be working one day ( I do 2 weeks work in 9 days so get a day off every other week). Anyway let me know if you want to arrange something at some point.

I feel exactly the same. The reason I want to do OT is the huge variety of options. I have no idea where I'll end up, but that's what the next three years are for. Every day I change my mind about my favourite bits and I'm sure that will continue to happen. I hadn't really thought about a career outside the NHS until my interview, but I got a place and that's the important thing at the moment!!!

Always happy to go for a drink too :colondollar: see.....rubbish PT :biggrin:
Reply 149
BTW those of you who are working at the moment....have you told your employers about leaving? How are you working it?

I can't really focus on work and maintaining marketing etc. but I need to earn as much as I can before I get there!
Reply 150
Original post by KazzaC
BTW those of you who are working at the moment....have you told your employers about leaving? How are you working it?

I can't really focus on work and maintaining marketing etc. but I need to earn as much as I can before I get there!

No - not told them anything. My Access Course final deadline is end of May so once I know I've completed everything I'll tell my boss. Fits nicely as I'm on 3 month's notice at work - so then I get to leave at the end of August and have a few weeks to get my head around everything (and hopefully go on holiday!!)

I agree though - my motivation is completely gone and I'm not sure exactly how to get through 7 more months!

Anyone else?
Original post by KazzaC

Hi I work part time and covering a maternity leave due to end sept so ok for me BUT I think my boss wants me to stay on - they do not know my intentions and I will just give notice OR commute for the first term and stay in Bristol 1 - 2 nights at Travelodge ! (unless I can find someobe who will put me up for 2 nights a week so I can keep my job here and my flat ! BUT if I can afford to move i WILL HAVE TO....so much to sort in 7 months which will fly by.....
Original post by SaraSp
No - not told them anything. My Access Course final deadline is end of May so once I know I've completed everything I'll tell my boss. Fits nicely as I'm on 3 month's notice at work - so then I get to leave at the end of August and have a few weeks to get my head around everything (and hopefully go on holiday!!)

I agree though - my motivation is completely gone and I'm not sure exactly how to get through 7 more months!

Anyone else?

I work part time and my course ends in June ! I have to sort quite a bit out....and feel I need 7 months to get my head around it....and the fact I am actually going to be at UWE for 3 Years.....living on beans/jacket potatoes and I mean POOR ! BUT with a career hopefully building....my bosses know nothing of my sept intentions !!!
Reply 153
Anyone on facebook? (:
Reply 154
Original post by TaziG
Anyone on facebook? (:

I feel like I should answer as no one else is! I don't use it that much but www.facebook.com/kazzacrockett and www.facebook.com/BuggyfitGloucestershire
Reply 155
Original post by KazzaC
I feel like I should answer as no one else is! I don't use it that much but www.facebook.com/kazzacrockett and www.facebook.com/BuggyfitGloucestershire

Hi - no I'm not on facebook I'm afraid!
Reply 156
Original post by KazzaC

Lol, I sent you a friend request. I'm not on it too much either to be honest. I only go on it to check up on the gossip lol.
Reply 157
I work part time and my course ends in June ! I have to sort quite a bit out....and feel I need 7 months to get my head around it....and the fact I am actually going to be at UWE for 3 Years.....living on beans/jacket potatoes and I mean POOR ! BUT with a career hopefully building....my bosses know nothing of my sept intentions !!!

Hi everyone! blummin eck, but life has got away from me the last few weeks- think I need to go to an open day at UWE soon so I can remind myself I am actually going to college, not just slogging away paying the bills in a rubbish job! given how little I earn anyway, three years of beans on toast won't be a major hardship for me! My bosses are oblivious of my intentions, but heyho, not going to rock the boat just yet!

The whole purpose of me applying for OT is so I can have a decent salary and a career I'm proud of. I'd love to work within the NHS, but I'm ok with the private sector. Sadly, this country is going to shift further and further away from public ownership of non-essential (read not life and death) healthcare, so I guess I just have to accept the inevitable!

As to care-type jobs, anyone thinking of applying for care work as a means of supplimenting their student income, please remember CRB checks can take a while. I'm going to start applying in july for agency and relief roles, as I know how long it can take, particularly if you haven't had a CRB for a while- my first job in care took 2 months before the CRB came back, though that was probably because I was out of the country for four years. I don't overly want to go back into support work, but its a means to an end.

Must start getting into this whole facebook nonsense. I have an account with them, but I never use it, as I find I get utterly sucked into checking what everyone's said, and suddenly I've spent an entire evening responding to people who I barely know and with whom I have nothing meaningful to say :smile:

again, I must accept the inevitable, I suppose...

Based on the open day, by the way, what did everyone think of the accomodation? Based on cost (glenside I think works out as £100 a week for 41 weeks. ouch...) it seems like the most expensive way to get a room (I'm used to renting rooms privately) but the easiest way to guarantee a room. What does everyone think so far?

I'd love to know if people are looking for private accomodation. I think its the cheapest way, and I have no desire to live in halls again if I can avoid it! :smile:
Original post by thebrigadier
Hi everyone! blummin eck, but life has got away from me the last few weeks- think I need to go to an open day at UWE soon so I can remind myself I am actually going to college, not just slogging away paying the bills in a rubbish job! given how little I earn anyway, three years of beans on toast won't be a major hardship for me! My bosses are oblivious of my intentions, but heyho, not going to rock the boat just yet!

The whole purpose of me applying for OT is so I can have a decent salary and a career I'm proud of. I'd love to work within the NHS, but I'm ok with the private sector. Sadly, this country is going to shift further and further away from public ownership of non-essential (read not life and death) healthcare, so I guess I just have to accept the inevitable!

As to care-type jobs, anyone thinking of applying for care work as a means of supplimenting their student income, please remember CRB checks can take a while. I'm going to start applying in july for agency and relief roles, as I know how long it can take, particularly if you haven't had a CRB for a while- my first job in care took 2 months before the CRB came back, though that was probably because I was out of the country for four years. I don't overly want to go back into support work, but its a means to an end.

Must start getting into this whole facebook nonsense. I have an account with them, but I never use it, as I find I get utterly sucked into checking what everyone's said, and suddenly I've spent an entire evening responding to people who I barely know and with whom I have nothing meaningful to say :smile:

again, I must accept the inevitable, I suppose...

Based on the open day, by the way, what did everyone think of the accomodation? Based on cost (glenside I think works out as £100 a week for 41 weeks. ouch...) it seems like the most expensive way to get a room (I'm used to renting rooms privately) but the easiest way to guarantee a room. What does everyone think so far?

I'd love to know if people are looking for private accomodation. I think its the cheapest way, and I have no desire to live in halls again if I can avoid it! :smile:

Hi Long time no hear.Brigadier !...you missed a great open day on 3rd march, 5 of us met up, had a snoop round and went to the pub in Fishponds, KazzaC, Footsteps, Sarahsp, me and debms - we had a lovely time. Listen I am trying to apply to be a student warden ! at Glenside as I need more money to even get to UWE!! That's desparate, I have even rung the accom area manager to persuade her of my suitability. I am happy to share a nice flat/house in Fishponds with car parking so I can walk to college and keep my battered Honda car...I think student houses RUN by UWE are pretty nice, so if anyone needs to rent a houseshare I could do with thinking about it, so stressed when i think 'can I even afford this !!!' Open day was really good, here are some UWE vote winners:
1. Placement is in May after they have taught you something
2. High tutor content
3. Graduate in May ....way before other unis so we are first on job market!!
4. Volunteering abroad options as OT students
5. UWE gave out 17 1st class stamps...(JK!!) DEGREES out of 45 last year, highest ratio of firsts in all UK unis for OT.
6. Key lectuer is UK OT authority and edits the OT bible by Jennifer Creek !!
7. Bristol zoo building is fab....and I love the clifton suspension bridge, !
8.Fishponds was dead nice/buzzy area
BTW... I HATE Facebook and will never use it but love this forum.....:biggrin:
Original post by SaraSp
Hi - no I'm not on facebook I'm afraid!

Hi sarah Sooooo glad its not just me who will NEVER use facebook, this forum is anonymous and fun and I have met some people in 'real life!!! - we can keep in touch via TSR..till sept !:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest