Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    It does seem unfortanate that you haven't got an offer from either Bath or York, despite being predicted three As. I'm not sure about York, but I suspect that Bath prefer applicants to have studied Economics for A-Level. That seems the most likely reason that I was rejected, despite Bath having the lowest requirements of all the courses I applied to.

In defence of people choosing Warwick ahead of UCL, there is more to choosing a university than the reputation of the institution in your chosen subject. I'm going to Warwick because I loved the campus and would much rather spend the next three years of my life there than in the centre of London. In any case, Warwick is harder to get into for Economics than UCL, it has more applicants per place and higher entry standards!

1 University College London
    2 Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics
    4 Warwick
    5 Nottingham
    6 Bath
    7 Durham
    8 Essex
    =9 Southampton
    =9 St Andrews
    11 York
    12 Queens,
    13 Manchester
    14 Oxford
    =15 Leicester
    =15 Lancaster
    17 Bristol 23
    18 Aberdeen
    19 Birmingham

this is how it ranks in the times university table for Economics. so your statement about warwick being better than ucl is questionable.

However, this table seems very dodgy to me. Oxford at 14? Sp Essex is better than Oxford at Economics? Nope

UCL rank 1 is a bold claim, surely cambridge and lse , and as you say Warwick are personally better than UCL? Bristol at 17? Nah, it is in the top 10 for economics.

ReputationRep:
    In which statement did I claim that Warwick is better than UCL? I have no problem in accepting that UCL has a better reputation for Economics than Warwick both in this country and internationally, as demonstrated by every published subject ranking I've seen. However, I simply stated that Warwick is more difficult to get into according to entry standards and applications per place for Economics.

A-Level Entry Standards:
    1. Cambridge 29.8
    2. Oxford 29.7
    3. LSE 29.1
    4. Nottingham 28.9
    5. Warwick 28.4
    6. Edinburgh 28.0
    7. Durham 27.8
    8. UCL 27.4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    1 University College London
    2 Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics
    4 Warwick
    5 Nottingham
    6 Bath
    7 Durham
    8 Essex
    =9 Southampton
    =9 St Andrews
    11 York
    12 Queens,
    13 Manchester
    14 Oxford
    =15 Leicester
    =15 Lancaster
    17 Bristol 23
    18 Aberdeen
    19 Birmingham

this is how it ranks in the times university table for Economics. so your statement about warwick being better than ucl is questionable.

However, this table seems very dodgy to me. Oxford at 14? Sp Essex is better than Oxford at Economics? Nope

UCL rank 1 is a bold claim, surely cambridge and lse , and as you say Warwick are personally better than UCL? Bristol at 17? Nah, it is in the top 10 for economics.
    in my humble opinion UCL and warwick are on a level playing field when it comes to economics, ive visited both departments and there's nothing between them. at the end of the day is a subjective decision where to go, which i am going to base on where i feel most comfortable

ReputationRep:
    AS-levels: Maths (A), Economics (A), Art (A), Government and Politics (A)

A-levels: dropped Governments and Politics, and predicted As for the other three.

University Applications: Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Newcastle, Leeds

Replies: Nottingham and Oxford rejected me. Bristol AAA, Durham ABB, Newcastle BBB, Leeds BBB

First Choice University: Leeds !!!

Would everyone else choose the same as me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_)

A-levels: dropped Governments and Politics, and predicted As for the other three.

Replies: Nottingham and Oxford rejected me. Bristol AAA, Durham ABB, Newcastle BBB, Leeds BBB

interesting choice....most people's first choice would be the one that require the highest grades ie Bristol and Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero101)
    You say that warwick has higher entry standards - however UCL want AAA whereas warwick ask for AAB

of course, the required grades are only a reflection of demand for places - but I bet warwick hardly give any offers to people offered AAB, as most people applying will have three As
    Does anyone know if the average A-level points on the Sunday Times Economics Table applies exclusively to the economics department or the institution overall? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    AS Levels: Economics, English Lit, Maths, Physics

A-Levels: Dropped Physics, predicted AAA.

Unis applied to: Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Warwick, York

Offers: Bristol (AAA), Manchester (BBB), Warwick (AABb), York (ABB)

Rejections: Oxford, Nottingham

First choice: Warwick
    Insurance: York

ReputationRep:
    AS Levels: AAAA / Economics, Physics, Maths, biology

A-Levels: Dropped biology, picked up further maths AS, predicted AAAA.

Unis applied to: Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, York
    Offers: UCL (AAA), Warwick (AAB), York (ABB) still waiting for LSE.

Rejections: Cambridge, Nottingham

First choice: LSE if offered, UCL if not.
    Insurance: Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    rajeeb,mangomaz, what gcses did you guys get?
    i got 4A*'s, 4A's and 2B's.. lol nothing compared to rajeeb. i had a dream about him a couple of weeks ago. ok this forum may just be taking over my life. almost reached 50 posts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    AS Levels: AAAA / Economics, Physics, Maths, biology

A-Levels: Dropped biology, picked up further maths AS, predicted AAAA.

Unis applied to: Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham, York
    Offers: UCL (AAA), Warwick (AAB), York (ABB) still waiting for LSE.

Rejections: Cambridge, Nottingham

First choice: LSE if offered, UCL if not.
    Insurance: Warwick
    ooh wow ur making the same decisions as me! i shud really have gone to visit warwick... what if i bugger up my A levels and have to go there? then again if i get a B in chem i think id retake and reapply next year cz i dont wna go warwick to be honest... *panic setting in about chemistry....*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    i got 4A*'s, 4A's and 2B's.. lol nothing compared to rajeeb. i had a dream about him a couple of weeks ago. ok this forum may just be taking over my life. almost reached 50 posts!
    dream about who? me? lol! should i be worried? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_)

Hello Emma, I also Did Maths, Economics and Art A-levels. But i applied to do Mathematics with Economics...I applied to LSE, UCL, Nott,Bristol, Warwick and York. I have an offer from Bristol AAB. and York ABB...Nottingham also rejected me.

To be honest Leeds is a great city and a v.good university but u have been predicted AAA!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajeeb)
    dream about who? me? lol! should i be worried? :-)
    lol yes a dream about u *embarassed* no dont be worried.. haha.. erm what happened in it... ah yes! for sum reason i happened to be walking with u outside edgware station (i hav no idea how i decided wat u looked like, the mind is a funny thing) and i sed sumthing about ur uni choices and u wer like ':O how did u no wer i got offers from???' and i was like 'aaaaah... hehe'

and yes.. thats all that happened from wat i can remember. actually maybe u shud b worried. i think i shud b worried too.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by emma_:

Purely based on academic reputation I would have chosen Bristol or Durham, then possibly put Leeds as my insurance. However, I haven't applied to or visited any of the universities you have listed so I'm unable to base my opinion on anything else.

Originally Posted by Mysticmin:
    Does anyone know if the average A-level points on the Sunday Times Economics Table applies exclusively to the economics department or the institution overall? Thanks.
    I think the average A-Level points on the Times Economics Table is for the department only, as the figures stated in overall table are significantly different.

Originally Posted by foowise:

AS Levels: Economics, English Lit, Maths, Physics

A-Levels: Dropped Physics, predicted AAA.

Unis applied to: Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Warwick, York

Offers: Bristol (AAA), Manchester (BBB), Warwick (AABb), York (ABB)

Rejections: Oxford, Nottingham

First choice: Warwick
    Insurance: York
    Glad to hear someone else on the forum is studying Economics at Warwick. Have you looked at campus accomodation yet? I'm struggling to decide which halls to apply for! Are you going to, or have you already been to, any of the Warwick Economics Open Days?

ReputationRep:
    Code:
    Glad to hear someone else on the forum is studying Economics at Warwick. Have you looked at campus accomodation yet? I'm struggling to decide which halls to apply for! Are you going to, or have you already been to, any of the Warwick Economics Open Days?
    Nope, I haven't been to any of the Economics open days, altho I'm beginning to think maybe I shud have. I got the invitation, but kinda never sent it back! But, I did go to the open day, so I did get to walk round the campus and I did like the look of the place, so that along with the quality of the Economics department kinda convinced me Warwick is the right place for me.

Once I've handed in my reply I'm probably gonna go down and check out the place again.

mg84 or anybody - have you been to any of the open days? did you check out the accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by foowise:
    mg84 or anybody - have you been to any of the open days? did you check out the accommodation?
    I went the Warwick University Open Day in September 2002, but I haven't visited since I finished my A-Levels last year. When I went, I looked at Whitefields Hall, which was the cheapest available at the time. It was arranged in what looked like small cottages for 10-12 people. They seemed slightly cramped, but very good facilities for the price. However, since I've been working for the majority of my gap year I should now be able to afford en suite, so I need to look the more expensive halls if I get the chance.

You should try sending the reply form back now, you might be able to get a place on the 10th March Open Day. I'll be spending plenty of time looking round Warwick in the next few weeks, as I'm going on that Open Day and have an interview for MORSE on the 3rd March. Hopefully I'll be able to find out more about accomodation and the local area while I'm there, then I'll report back.

ReputationRep:
    wo wo wo theres a form for warwick accomodation im ment 2 send back???? bugger i havent done anything for them! i did the same as a previous user sed and kinda erm.. ignored the inviation to come to an open day lol....
    ooh bugger i REALLY should go up and look at it before i put it down as my insuarance..

ReputationRep:
    No, don't worry! The form was only for the Economics Open Day, it has nothing to do with accommodation. Visiting Warwick before your put it as you insurance might be sensible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    ooh wow ur making the same decisions as me! i shud really have gone to visit warwick... what if i bugger up my A levels and have to go there? then again if i get a B in chem i think id retake and reapply next year cz i dont wna go warwick to be honest... *panic setting in about chemistry....*
    Yeah i'm not too sure about the insurance offer thing, oh btw people, i think UCL have changed their admission's policy this year, the standard offer seems to be AAA for economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Yeah i'm not too sure about the insurance offer thing, oh btw people, i think UCL have changed their admission's policy this year, the standard offer seems to be AAA for economics

the server seems to be very busy - anyways, i thought ucl economics always has been aaa?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.