personal statement for law? Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
But doing your personal statement is really hard. It flies against the British culture of playing yourself down, and requires great tact to create a balanced and favourable image of yourself. It isn't so much that people don't know how to create a personal statement, it is more that they want a personal statement as impressive as the rest of their application form.

Surely you can understand this?
I never thought it was that hard. Just gave it plenty of time to think about it, several hours in fact. That's not hard. If that's hard, I hate them trying to study medicine or law at Oxbridge and hope to get a first.
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I never thought it was that hard. Just gave it plenty of time to think about it, several hours in fact. That's not hard. If that's hard, I hate them trying to study medicine or law at Oxbridge and hope to get a first.
I find it quite offensive how flippant you are being about the whole process. Sure, there is no denying that almost everyone on this forum could create a perfectly good personal statement with no help whatsover. But the alternative view of someone else, especially someone objective, can really help. Surely you can appreciate that the more people who help with your personal statement, the more views you are exposed to and the more criticised it is, the better it will eventually be!

You obviously had sufficient confidence in your self to just do it, with out input from others. Why are you condeming others who lack this confidence?

[Note to other readers of this forum: 'confidence' is merely being used politely to mask my personal view that NDGAARONDI is incredibly arrogant]
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Surely it would be better seeking advice on booklets and such on what to put in rather than read other people's? We're all different. Any decent college will have this or tell where you can find help if they do not.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, but it is also useful to then look at how others have responded to and approached the task.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, but it is also useful to then look at how others have responded to and approached the task.
Yes but I thought it would be better to look for advice first. Looking at a few personal statements may or may not help you, it's really an individual thing.

When people ask about personal statements many (and I'm not implying those who have asked for help on this thread) just ask to look at others and try to 'match it up'. A lot of people are just plain lazy to think of their own ideas. This is all very well but I've known other people doing that and have found it better just to read the advice and give it plenty of quality time thinking and then edit the personal statement on the word processor on your computer.

What do you think?
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Yes but I thought it would be better to look for advice first. Looking at a few personal statements may or may not help you, it's really an individual thing.

When people ask about personal statements many (and I'm not implying those who have asked for help on this thread) just ask to look at others and try to 'match it up'. A lot of people are just plain lazy to think of their own ideas. This is all very well but I've known other people doing that and have found it better just to read the advice and give it plenty of quality time thinking and then edit the personal statement on the word processor on your computer.

What do you think?
Whilst I agree that it is almost cardinal for people to be so lazy about the personal statement as to just copy other people [saying a lot about their enthusiasm for university in general], I do feel that looking at a few approaches can help. Especially for law, where the task of opening the personal statement is particularly difficult, with most applicants having not studied law before.

I am currently on draft 31 of my personal statement, and only looked at five sample personal statements for the first 28 (by the way these five were medicine, english, chemistry, drama and art: great help my school offers!).
I then looked at several law personal statements, emailing students at cambridge who I have met if they could first of all just check what I've written and second of all send me a copy of their personal statement.

The result of their feedback and looking at their personal statement has given me a much greater appreciation [than I had already gleaned from my own working] of the importance of sentence structure and composition in the personal statement.

I can understand where your comments originate from, but it is my experience that few people here are lazy. I do think though that everyone has to do a large amount of the work for the personal statement before they look at other peoples as otherwise they can feel that they haven't reached a certain standard. My Biology teacher gave me a copy of her daughter's personal statement and asked for a copy of mine and said 'Well I guess her's wasn't much use', because she had a very different application to mine [lots of music, but not a lot of work experience/ uni stuff].

But looking at someone else's personal statement is generally very helpful. If for any reason more than anything, the reasons why people on this forum wanted to look at a copy of sunnyt's personal statement (which i guess we aren't going to now) is because he has places at the universities we desperately want to go to. If you go to a small comprehensive school you might not know anyone who has got in at a top university for law in the past few years. Consequently you are unsure of the standard you need to hit. Remember that more people who achieve 3A's don't apply to oxbridge than do- such is the percieved competition for places. [I think it is overexaggerated; everyone with the grades should give it a go if they like the course and place].
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
didn't i read somewhere that tom was going to a law week at oxford in august?!
maybe not, because all he seems to talk about is cambridge.
anyway, tom is spot on about personal statements.
it's all about playing the game and selling yourself shamelessly.
although LSE once called someone for interview who wrote "I'm boring and have nothing to say."
Alas there was one problem.
He wasn't lying.
[joke, probably fictional, courtesy of LSE schools liason officer]
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can understand where your comments originate from, but it is my experience that few people here are lazy. I do think though that everyone has to do a large amount of the work for the personal statement before they look at other peoples as otherwise they can feel that they haven't reached a certain standard.
I acknowledge that people on here are generally not lazy, previous to my comments I've experienced otherwise ,and I just felt so annoyed that students work so hard to get a place and others think it's just a ride and not being serious enough about personal statements.

Apologies for my earlier comments. I was trying to make a joke, but it was the wrong place to.

I agree with your other comments, they are most helpful
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
didn't i read somewhere that tom was going to a law week at oxford in august?!
maybe not, because all he seems to talk about is cambridge.
anyway, tom is spot on about personal statements.
it's all about playing the game and selling yourself shamelessly.
although LSE once called someone for interview who wrote "I'm boring and have nothing to say."
Alas there was one problem.
He wasn't lying.
[joke, probably fictional, courtesy of LSE schools liason officer]
Yeah I am going to a law week at Oxford in August, but am pretty certain that I want to apply to Cambridge. I don't only talk about Cambridge though!
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm going on one too as part of the oxford access scheme.
ill be a day late though cos im out volunteering in France.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's the one im going on!
Phonicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ill look forward to seeing you there...tom.
(do you know if we need to bring a suit or other formal attire seeing as we're going to freshfields for the day?)
starlet04
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Hey Sunny,
Jus wondered if u cud send me a copy of ur PS pleez, avin major problems writin mine n the deadline 4 first draft is loomin. I learn from the best!
Cheers mate.
PATEVANS
Report 14 years ago
Dear Sunny T

Am about to start writing my PS for law - would really appreciate a peek at yur winning PS
Any help at all would be great

Thanx

Pat
AGH
Report 14 years ago
Could you send me a copy of your Personal Statement please as I am having problems writing mine. Thanks.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Warwick student seems to have an infamous personal statement. Having said that I'm now curious, though I'm happy to send mine in return
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All these people asking for personal statements for law and do not have the incentive to read the rules of the forum and/or take advantage of the private messaging system. :rolleyes:
little_sweetiep
Report 14 years ago
u legend! help me then, i have no idea wat to write, how to even start, applied 4 bristol, notts, manchesta, leeds, brum. wat r they lookin 4? if i cud hav a little look at urs thatd b wickd :confused:
drab
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
any one need help gis a shout ive been accepted at all my universities unconditionally too

warwick accepted
notts accepted
brum rejected here! as if im bothered!
manc accepted
oxford! accepted
and leicester accepted

but only cus i got my qualifications but I had a wikid statement too so anyone need help gis a shout

sunny t
please can i view your statement as I'm really stuck--help
drab
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
any one need help gis a shout ive been accepted at all my universities unconditionally too

warwick accepted
notts accepted
brum rejected here! as if im bothered!
manc accepted
oxford! accepted
and leicester accepted

but only cus i got my qualifications but I had a wikid statement too so anyone need help gis a shout

sunny t
Please help me with my ps for lawas yours is obviously A1 - Many thanks
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?