Newcastle's Top Clubs and Bars 2012 Watch

spektre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What are Newcastle's top clubs and bars for a night out, in your opinion? I'm thinking about sociable places where it is easy to meet people, music along the lines of Indie, Electro, House & DnB Mix, and which does not attract a predominantly 'chav' clientele.

I'm not sure if it is pertinent but it might be worth mentioning a particular night or day of the week that is good.
Maccabees
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.koosday.co.uk/

KOOSDAY
Joluk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Digital (Mondays 80p entry before 12)
Koosday at Tiger Tiger (Tuesday)
Perdu
Floritas
O2 Academy (Friday)
Riverside (Fridays + Saturdays) Although i'm not a big fan
The Den/Oh-so are o.k also

As for cheap bars beforehand, there are loads, although Fever is the only one i've seen for a while that's 3 trebles for £3.99
seanfromtheblock
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Obviously the best nightclub in Newcastle is Sinners.

The thread needs to end here because there's nothing better than Sinners.

On a serious note, Digital's reliable, Riverside is overrated, Powerhouse is awesome and all good nights start out at Basement.
Maccabees
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by seanfromtheblock)
Obviously the best nightclub in Newcastle is Sinners.

The thread needs to end here because there's nothing better than Sinners.

On a serious note, Digital's reliable, Riverside is overrated, Powerhouse is awesome and all good nights start out at Basement.
Isn't sinners that club that promised free drinks to girls if they got their baps out?
seanfromtheblock
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maccabees)
Isn't sinners that club that promised free drinks to girls if they got their baps out?
It's an incredible place. It's next to tiger tiger pretty much, has carpet, does trebles (unusual for a club), has constantly flooded (with what you'd imagine) toilets and has a giant birdcage you can dance in. It's something else.

Bad clubs are an art form and Sinners is Newcastle's Mona Lisa
mau5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Cut and Digital are the best two by a considerable distance.
Reptilia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Digital is awesome on a Monday night - 80p entry before 12, 80p selected drinks before 12. There are 3 floors, the ground floor plays a variety, but plays a lot of great indie tunes. Not sure of the second floor, I think dance/house maybe? Top floor hip-hop/RnB i think.

Tuesday nights - Koosdays at Tiger Tiger or Waikiki at Florita's and Madame Koo's.

Wednesday - not a clue, never been out on a Wednesday.

Thursday - Perdu.

Friday has to be Dirty Pop at the O2 Academy - mostly indie tunes.

Saturday - not a clue, only went out on a Saturday on Freshers to Floritas and it just seemed to be full of middle-aged men and women.

Oh, and avoid Riverside AT ALL COSTS...unless you love being surrounded by every Geordie Shore/TOWIE wannabee
Kylepott
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very good array of places up here.

My ideal week without lectures and unlimited funds would be...

Monday- Digital, 80p in before 12.

Tuesday- The cut/TupTup depending whats on. The cut has dub-step and base on a Tuesday. Had some big names there too recently. Otherwise Koosdays at Tiger.

Wednesday- The sports socials, depending on your uni. ROAR! is Newcastles, been to that quite often at Tiger. Not sure about Northumbria's but its in Bambu, which isn't bad at all

Thursday- The Cut again for me, always enjoy it in there. Its called the zoo, mostly the same as Tuesday but a little more rap and hip hop thrown in.
Also a new night starting at Bambu that i'm going to try out, mainly down to me becoming a member of the promotion team. Would love people to give it a go, like i've said in my thread!

Friday- Dirty Pop at the O2 is often a good shout, been to Riverside a few times but its not that great. It might be that i wasn't that drunk the occasions i got there but its always rammed. Not always the best thing if you need a bit of space like.
TupTup isn't bad, i dare say even flares is alright on a friday :eek:

Saturday- Again Digital can be amazing, they have various rooms playing hip-hop, mainstream, electro and house and Dub-Step

Sunday- If carnage is on then get yourself on that. If not I don't recall being out on a Sunday. Often hit the quiz at the hancock or union.
TheJudderman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Finding CCTV on Saturday's at Newcastle Students' Union great atm; especially when they do their theme nights, and music is spot on. Plus during the day, you can get half pizza and chips for 4 quid
hoonosewot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This thread needs more Sinners IMO.
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are most clubs very disco-styled, or are there places more relaxed?
hoonosewot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MathematicsKiller)
Are most clubs very disco-styled, or are there places more relaxed?
That's what pubs and bars are for.
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hoonosewot)
That's what pubs and bars are for.
Not quite what I thinking of.
KingGoonIan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Best place for pre drinks is Quayside love it down there.

If you wanna avoid chavs then stay clear of Bigg Market at all costs.
Marmotta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are some OK pubs around the Bigg Market if you're willing to wade through the ****, but definitely best avoided on weekends.

Haven't done too much going out in Newcastle before moving to London, but the couple of time I've been to the O2 Academy it's been good. The Head of Steam also have some good live music nights with indie bands from time to time, as does The Cluny.

In terms of bars, I may be biased as I used to work there, but Popolo on Pilgrim Street is great if you're into cocktails, but can get a bit too packed in weekends to be able to chill out in.

And despite a massive nationwide media campaign popularising the term "chav" over the past 5 years or so, I'll have you know it's charva.
xconfetti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by seanfromtheblock)
all good nights start out at Basement.
:yes::youbetcha:
spektre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
That's a decent list of venues we've got so far, thanks a lot!

I'm curious why nobody mentioned World Headquarters or LQ (Formerly Liquid & Envy). Anything wrong with those two?
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Need some help, we've got 10 of us coming up from London to Newcastle for Friday/Saturday/Sunday. None of us have ever been to Newcastle before so we want to have a fair idea of recommended bars and clubs and places to go on the Friday and Saturday night.

From reading this thread, there seems to be very mixed opinions for places to go on Friday & Saturday night!

Opinions!?
Tom3211
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
Need some help, we've got 10 of us coming up from London to Newcastle for Friday/Saturday/Sunday. None of us have ever been to Newcastle before so we want to have a fair idea of recommended bars and clubs and places to go on the Friday and Saturday night.

From reading this thread, there seems to be very mixed opinions for places to go on Friday & Saturday night!

Opinions!?
I'm still a fresher at Newcastle, but the overall opinion atm is that Friday is always getting a big crowd at Riverside, O2 academy and LQ on a Friday night, and although we don't tend to go out much on a Saturday, Digital is ridiculously good! especially if you're on guestlist and get in for free. If you go to Riverside on a Friday, Vic 22 is nearby and does 3 trebles for a 5er and is always a laugh. Have a good one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Newcastle University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • Newcastle University
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Newcastle University
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
29.58%
The paper was reasonable (70)
49.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
10.56%
It was TERRIBLE (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads