The Student Room Group

University of Toronto requirements

I wanted to study at U of T. However, I'm not sure whether I have the requirements needed.

You see I'm planning to take my A-levels, but I never took my O-levels and the requirement stated in U of T website is quite vague.

I have partaken in another exam from my country. It's equivalent with O-levels.

Could someone explain to me? I'm really confused.:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Reply 2

Capture.PNG

I don't get this part. Does it mean that I have to do both O & A-levels? It says so....
And English is the minimum requirement, right? Not a must? I feel dumb:confused:
Reply 3
Original post by sonnet26
Capture.PNG

I don't get this part. Does it mean that I have to do both O & A-levels? It says so....
And English is the minimum requirement, right? Not a must? I feel dumb:confused:

I'll try to reword it (sometimes, even in English, you can get lost in translation with dialect differences.)

You need five different O-Levels. On top of that, you must also have either: 4 different Advanced Subsidiary subjects, or: three different A-Level subjects, two of which must be one of the "traditional subjects" listed at the bottom of that .png list.

So yes, you need both. I don't understand what you're asking about English being the minimum requirement, though. You must be literate in English to go to U of T. But clearly you are. :smile: Rephrase your question?
Reply 4
Original post by caligulina
I'll try to reword it (sometimes, even in English, you can get lost in translation with dialect differences.)

You need five different O-Levels. On top of that, you must also have either: 4 different Advanced Subsidiary subjects, or: three different A-Level subjects, two of which must be one of the "traditional subjects" listed at the bottom of that .png list.

So yes, you need both. I don't understand what you're asking about English being the minimum requirement, though. You must be literate in English to go to U of T. But clearly you are. :smile: Rephrase your question?

Thanks! That helps a lot :smile:. About the English, I was asking whether it is the minimum requirement for international students (not British-patterned).
Reply 5
I still don't quite understand; if English is your first language, you're in the clear. If it's your second language, you must have proof of passing an English proficiency test. As an international student, you would need to meet all of those requirements with the A and O levels, on top of being able to prove you are fluent in English if it is your second language.

This should clarify a bit more on non-British patterned international requirements. http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/admissions/high-school-students/other-intl

In that case, depending on what you are applying to, English is the bare minimum requirement on a high school level (but you should also have at least 7 other subjects in the equivalent to "grade 11" and "grade 12".) English is the grade they look at most closely, in this case. Canadian schools aren't patterned after the British system, so this requirement is similar to domestic students.
Original post by sonnet26
I wanted to study at U of T. However, I'm not sure whether I have the requirements needed.

You see I'm planning to take my A-levels, but I never took my O-levels and the requirement stated in U of T website is quite vague.

I have partaken in another exam from my country. It's equivalent with O-levels.

Could someone explain to me? I'm really confused.:s-smilie:

I would recommend you to send your results for your O-level equivalents as well as your predicted A-level results once you apply.

You might also want to explain to them why you didn't take O-levels so they will know about your situation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by caligulina

So does this mean that they just want A-level and O-level passes? There's no specific grade requirement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending