Greatest city in the world - New York or London, or neither? Watch

Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
New York is the self-dubbed 'capital of the world' and London is the financial hub to the most wealthiest and economically powerful continent in the world, not to mention, it is also the residence of the British Parliament and monarchy who are arguably the most powerful people on earth.

But which city is the greatest, I go with London, but what do you lot think?

Other possible contenders -
  • Tokyo
  • Istanbul
  • Moscow
  • Paris
  • Berlin
  • Los Angeles
  • Beijing
  • Bombay
  • Hong Kong
  • Dubai
qwerty_st/n
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
clearly neither, because Manchester is quite obviously the best city ever.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 1984198419841984)
it is also the residence of the British Parliament and monarchy who are arguably the most powerful people on earth.
Is this a joke?
Paddington
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they are most definately not the most powerful! International capital has much more power! However the british government does have alot of power for many reasons i can agree on that much but not that they are "the most powerfull people on earth"

in answer to your first question i might have to say NY due to the fact i have never been there and they have no smoking in public places
Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I personally think Hull :toofunny:
LeeC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
BORDEAUX!!!! I just spent a week there it is fantastic. I would more there tomorrow if i had the chance
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Montreal. It's the true sin city of North America. You've got great nightlife, fantastic culture, it's the former Canadian capital so it's full of history, it's culturaly diverse: mix of English-speaking and French-speaking communities, some of the best stripclubs in the world, some of the best clubs in the world (Aria, Club Stereo often listed in every single top 10, no matter what the country), some of the most beautiful girls you'll ever see. What more can you ask for?

The Americans love it because they only have to be 18 to drink...
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Manchester!
screenager
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edinburgh is the greatest city in the world but I don't think the OP is asking for which city is nicest, he is all about power. I think Tokyo is pretty great since they have all the crazy technology.
Steezy20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
London is a dump and the curries are awful down there. In New York, you get shot, so thats a bit of a downside. It'd probably be up North somewhere, say Chester. Either that or Monaco.
cappucino07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
London is far superior to New York.
LeeC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
London is a dump compared to many places, haven't been to New York though so I cant pass comment.
Johnny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 1984198419841984)
New York is the self-dubbed 'capital of the world' and London is the financial hub to the most wealthiest and economically powerful continent in the world, not to mention, it is also the residence of the British Parliament and monarchy who are arguably the most powerful people on earth.

But which city is the greatest, I go with London, but what do you lot think?

Other possible contenders -
  • Tokyo
  • Istanbul
  • Moscow
  • Paris
  • Berlin
  • Los Angeles
  • Beijing
  • Bombay
  • Hong Kong
  • Dubai
I found this article on Wikipedia to be a pretty good definition of the 'greatest' cities in the World: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Cities
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say either Tokyo or Hong Kong.

I prefer a lot of the Asian cities, me.
slk999
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
London.
MrFulton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Clarence)
I personally think Hull :toofunny:
I'm from Hull, and I'm currently living in London at a London University.

I prefer Hull. At least there everyone aren't up their own backsides and would give you the time of day.

That said I'm transferring to Leeds ^.^
erk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kan3)
I'm from Hull, and I'm currently living in London at a London University.

I prefer Hull. At least there everyone aren't up their own backsides and would give you the time of day.

That said I'm transferring to Leeds ^.^
I'm also from Hull, and I'm currently living in London at a London University.

I prefer London. But yeh, Hull's cool.

Just outta interest dude, you doin journo at met i take it?
glance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Steezy20)
London is a dump and the curries are awful down there.
No, London is incredible. When you stand on the Millenium Bridge, as the sun is setting, you can look both ways along the river and see the London Eye, then St Paul's Cathedral, at the end of the bridge, and then London Bridge. It is incredible to stand here at sunset. When the sun finally sets behind the extraordinary London skyline, the bridge and the view is illuminated.

Trafalgar Square at night is also a wonderful place to be, with the fountains glowing, Nelson standing on his column, and the National Gallery behind you. The Strand is just to the side of you, with it's glittering Adelphi theatre and Covent Garden just up the road. There's so much, I could go on and on. Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the British Library..even the London Underground is thing of history and beauty.

I think people forget just how incredible London is and how lucky we are to have it. All you have to do is fly over London at night to realise how stunning it really is.
Clarence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think the hull people understood my joke.
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shout out for Swansea!!!, who's with me.........
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%
No I don't (546)
48.49%

Watched Threads