Nucleolus / Nucleus Watch

Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Which out of the following occurs in the nucles, nuleolus or both?

transcription

replication of DNA

excision of introns and splicing of mRNA

responce to steriod hormones

Cheers

And has anyone got any idea as to what part of the cell would cause signal transduction in responce to fast acting hormones...?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Am far as I am aware, the nucleolus is the site of exision of introns and splicing of mRNA and transcription of (m)(t)(r). The rest of the nucleus is the site of replication of DNA and transcription.

Response to steroid hormones - they usually trigger signal cascades in the cytoplasm. They can diffuse straight across the lipid bilayer and will generally bind some kind of kinase/molecule that activates a kinase in the cytoplasm. The end result of the signal transduction is either direct activation of an inactive enzyme (fast acting), or a change in gene expression. In the case of the latter, the nucleus is the place where that happens. As for fast-acting, everything occurs in the cytoplasm.

I am not 100% on some of these things so might be helpful for someone else to confirm/not confirm at all lol.
transcription

Cheerio!
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Am far as I am aware, the nucleolus is the site of exision of introns and splicing of mRNA and transcription of (m)(t)(r). The rest of the nucleus is the site of replication of DNA and transcription.

Response to steroid hormones - they usually trigger signal cascades in the cytoplasm. They can diffuse straight across the lipid bilayer and will generally bind some kind of kinase/molecule that activates a kinase in the cytoplasm. The end result of the signal transduction is either direct activation of an inactive enzyme (fast acting), or a change in gene expression. In the case of the latter, the nucleus is the place where that happens. As for fast-acting, everything occurs in the cytoplasm.

I am not 100% on some of these things so might be helpful for someone else to confirm/not confirm at all lol.
transcription

Cheerio!
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (134)
27.29%
No (357)
72.71%

Watched Threads