Turn on thread page Beta

How helpful is your school when it comes to access arrangements? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last year, a few months before my GCSEs and in the middle of my mocks, my dad died. School were informed, and I took a few days off. Due to family circumstances, this lead to a whole host of family difficulties and stress.

However, just before I took my first GCSE, I stumbled accross information on special considerations for candidates whose revision may have been affected by family events, deaths, etc. I was shocked because:

a) I never knew such policies existed
    b) I was entitles to 5% extra marks on all my papers
    c) School never informed me or my mum!!

I've just been thinking... is your school eagar for candidates to apply for these special considerations, or do they not put many people forward? I would have thought it was in their best interests to make sure candidates do as well as possible, but my school simply didn't seem to be bothered!

ReputationRep:
    Well, my best friend is diabetic and was really ill in hospital for a week or so a few weeks before our ASs. She got a note from either her doctor or the hospital, which was sent to all her exam boards and meant she got special consideration. Another friend of mine has something wrong with his hand (maybe RSI or similar) that means he can't write as fast as he used to be able to, so he got a note from his doctor and he was entitled to extra time. I'm guessing my school must be pretty good at it. I can't believe you weren't even told! So did you get the special consideration in the end or was it too late? Firstly, I'm really sorry about your dad Secondly, on a much more positive note, I'm amazed you still got 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 Bs after all that! Much better than my grades and I had no extenuating circumstances at all. Well done!!

ReputationRep:
    My school would never have known about that. They entered us for a wrong exam once.

ReputationRep:
    it was just luck that i got extra time because of english as second language. the school is not really interested in what exams students want to take eg AEA's.

ReputationRep:
    firstly im sorry to hear about your dad but my school was willing to give special consideration to some people. do you think the death of your dad made you more determined, thats why you did so good.

statomaster, what happened when with your exam, if the school dis such a mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I can't believe you weren't even told! So did you get the special consideration in the end or was it too late? Firstly, I'm really sorry about your dad Secondly, on a much more positive note, I'm amazed you still got 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 Bs after all that! Much better than my grades and I had no extenuating circumstances at all. Well done!!
    I was having a last minute frantic look at the AQA website a few days before all my GCSEs started (!), and kept noticing something called 'special considerations'. I googled it, and found the document that has all the conditions in, and saw that I was entitled to 5% extra marks.

I was absolutelty astonished that school hadn't told me about this - it would have been nice to know in the stressful run-up to exams that my circumstances would be considered!

I printed off the the pages, and my mum (who was as furious as I was astonished) went to see the Deputy Head to ask about it. Once confronted by my mother, school was really nice and applied for special considerations for me, which probably had something to do with the grades I got!

I think I just revised as much as I could (obviously not aware of the extra marks I was entitled to), so when grades were awarded the 5% just 'topped me up' to A*s/As. Thanks for your nice words though!

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.