The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, new to this thread, and am applying for Economics!!

GCSEs: 10A*s and 2As
AS Levels:
Maths A
F Maths (no grade this year as mixed some A2 modules in, however got rogue B's in C3 and M2 which i am retain)
Economics A
Physics A
Chemistry A
General Studies A
Critical Thinking A
EPQ pending

Predicted all A*'s at A2 doing all at A2. However I am concerned about UCLs no resit policy? The two b's in those two A2 modules I will be resting and boosting to most likely 90 plus on par with other modules hence A* prediction. What will UCL think of this????
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Ok thanks, I'm trying to find some biology related work experience at the moment but not sure what sort of work to do. Would you say it is more useful to get biology work experience or something like a university visit/summer school?
Original post by Artfanatic
The 4 year course is nothing to do with the foundation year equivalent from what i believe - plus a C in language will not change much seeing as most will have it anyway and its hardly a deciding factor for a course with over 1,400 applicants per year for 40 places (i think)

Well I'm doing a BTEC level 3 in Art? Isn't that the same as a foundation course?
Just curious... What are my chances of getting into Philosophy at UCL

AS grades: AAAB
A level predicted grades: A* English A Psychology A Philosophy B Biology.

Thanks
GCSE grades: 1 B all other C grades including English and Maths
AS Grades: AAAA Economics, Russian Language, Business, IT.

Concerned about my GCSE grades but my predictions are likely A*AAA, is it possible that i get rejected on the basis of my GCSE results since I was reluctant to study?
How competitive is History generally?
Hi I am applying for a Biochemistry BSc degree at UCL.
My GCSE grades: 1A*, 4As, 5Bs (I know, not amazing)
AS grades: Chemistry-A, Religious studies-A, Biology-B, Maths-B
A2 Predictions: Chem-A*, Religious studies-A*,Maths-A (dropped biology)
Any suggestions?

Edit: Also I have done an EPQ on Lung Cancer and got an A.
Im applying with CCCCCC at GCSE with AAAA at AS
Anyone know if 2A*s and 8 As at GCSE enough for medicine?
Hey guys instead of the long sob story let me just tell you my grades:
GCSE:
AABBBCCCCD (D being in ICT, crap teacher) (A's in Maths and Physics)

AS grades :
AAAA (Maths further maths physics and chemistry)

Predicted :
A*A*AA

Current A2: Maths Further maths, Physics and Chemistry

Course:
Mechanical engineering MEng.

i've sent off my application, im just really scared about an rejection. I've had my work experience at Mechanical engineering in Abu Dhabi (Dad's company) and stuff like that.

So guys do you think i stand a chance?
Bump
Original post by Throaso090909
Bump

If your personal statement is strong, go for UCL, you'll be in with a good chance.
yeah i hope so, this wait is killing me!
Original post by Year11guy
If your personal statement is strong, go for UCL, you'll be in with a good chance.
So long as your grades meet the stated requirements on UCL's website then it's worthwhile you putting in an application

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could even apply to Imperial with those grades
Reply 595
My grades:
IGCSE: A*A*A*A*ABBBC
Predicted A-levels: A*AAA
I tried to speak to my head teacher about working on a higher set of predicted grades, and he shut me down saying that predicted grades don't matter in the slightest.
Should I apply to UCL and KCL with these grades? Should I set a lower standard?
What are you AS grades?
Reply 597
Original post by ubisoft
What are you AS grades?

I haven't done my as papers yet. I'll be doing it alongside my a2.
Original post by sop10
My grades:
IGCSE: A*A*A*A*ABBBC
Predicted A-levels: A*AAA
I tried to speak to my head teacher about working on a higher set of predicted grades, and he shut me down saying that predicted grades don't matter in the slightest.
Should I apply to UCL and KCL with these grades? Should I set a lower standard?

You've got really good grades, which are likely equivalent to a lot of applicants (though I don't think you mentioned your course, and competitiveness varies).

However
you might struggle to stand out as the most recent academic evidence is your GCSEs. Other applicants will have AS levels, which demonstrate their ability and reaffirm that their predicted grades are realistic. As you haven't done any A level exams whatsoever, admissions tutors may find it harder to compare your application with others as you're missing an entire set of exams and relying completely on predictions, which are often unreliable as some schools over-predict while others are too conservative.

This obviously isn't your fault though, and I think you'll have a really good chance if it's emphasised in your reference why you haven't completed any A level exams so far. It's mainly that you situation will be unusual compared to the vast majority of other applicants. It's probably worth applying to a few unis that are perhaps not quite as prestigious as UCL/KCL as well as them, just in case you're rejected from your favourites.
Heyyy
My grades are:
O Levels (Equivalent to GCSEs) - A*A*A*A*AAAAAC
AS - AAAB
A2 (Predicted) - A*A*AA
Degree - Natural Sciences

I just wanted to ask to see if I have a strong chance of getting in and if anyone else is applying for the same course:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending