Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that you have to write two mini essays at the Manchester pharmacy interview. the first on something drug related in the news and the second on an A Level topic.

I just want to know if you can only write aboyt A2 topics. Are you allowed to write about something in AS instead such as protein synthesis?

Also how long do you get to write?

thanks in advance

jaggyxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have an interview at manchester tomorrow. Have been trying to do some swotting up before i go and ended up here
    Was thinking of writing about immunity (a2 biology), dont know exactly what i will write tho!! Also what did ppl write about in the essay about drugs in the news recently?
    Does any1 kno what time the interviews start and is that the last part of the day?
    Cheers xx

ReputationRep:
    They just want to see that you're capable of communicating proficiently. I personally wrote about action potentials (related it to serotonin, depression, prozac etc) and bird flu.

edit: It was the day after the complete smoking in pubs ban was announced, and a person had brought in a newspaper (which obviously had this as it's main story). It was being passed around and a bunch of people wrote about that for the 'news story' part.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you so much pav! That was really useful!

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of stuff you can write about like that.. smoking ban/rationing on the NHS regarding herceptin and stuff/plans to make supplementary&independent pharmacist prescribers more widespread http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...icle326172.ece /problems of antibiotics resistant infections etc....

As Pav said, they'll be more bothered about whetehr you can write in a decent logical way and convey a point to the reader in an alright kind of a way.

PS: Don't drink all the coffee. i'm stuck in the lab next door doing ultra dull stuff and the free coffee after everyone finishes their interviews is a life-saver

ReputationRep:
    lol! I promise not to drink all the coffee (brownies honour!).

does anyone know how much space we get to write for each 'essay'?

ReputationRep:
    its just two boxes..not that big bout 3/4 page...i personally will write about a practical in chemistry..prep of pareacetamol...and then i will write sme random news sotroy i have just found on net!! haha... herceptin is too broad an issue tow rite about where will u stop?!! and bird flu also..i recommend pick a short news article that u know u can conclude.! good luck evryone and u never know u could bump into me (im short and fat) lol onli jkin! xxx

ReputationRep:
    when i went, the sheet had a large space for the interesting subject you gotta write about, and a very small space for the news you gotta write about

ReputationRep:
    The 'essay' is actually nothing to worry about. The first one is your syllabus related one (not sure if it is only A2 work, or wether it can be AS work - sorry) but that one is roughly 3/4 of a page. The news one is very small, only the 1/4 remaining.

There is no time limit either. Its just in the second part when your waiting for your interviews. Not timed/supervised or anything. Nothing to worry about...

Good luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    Essay writing

This is just a small idea, but why don't you get hold of a copy of the weeks Pharmaceutical Journal and write about a topic in there. That way you would be showing you are bang up to date with current pharmacy news.

I know that would impress me if I was interviewing you!

Go get 'em guys..........

ReputationRep:
    i had my interview yesterday but the essay was on discussing the advantages and disadvantages of adding chickenpox vaccine to the MMR vaccination...had 2 write about 150 words. but it said that they arent assessing on the science behind it but on our ability to communicate effectively! so i thought it was ok. Other people there had different essay titles and one of them was about the importance of teamwork or something.

its true you cant really revise for the essay because it can be about anything!

hope that helps....

ReputationRep:
    But in the case of advantages and disadvantages of adding chickenpox vaccine to the MMR vaccination,what if u dont know a single thing about that issue wot in God' green earth are u expected to write???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbamz)
    But in the case of advantages and disadvantages of adding chickenpox vaccine to the MMR vaccination,what if u dont know a single thing about that issue wot in God' green earth are u expected to write???
    ]
    Like me for example
    Absolutely no Idea.
    I have a slight idea what is the chickenpox vaccine .But MMR vaccination, well that is a problem. I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of both too
    Do you guys learn all that at school? Or just read extra?

ReputationRep:
    hay im currently in As and wondering what kind of GCSE and AS grades you need to have , to do pharmacy at manchester
    if you have been invited 2 manchester interview or got some sort of place what kind of grade did you achieve in GCSE and AS
    thanks xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.