So I'm planning to meditate in the Himalayas for a couple of months

Watch
blacklistmember
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does it sound crazy?

I plan to do Buddhist meditation. The whole idea is to find enlightenment within this very life. Basically its just observing the mind and trying to see what its nature really is.

And I have a friend who had everything in life but took to this path, and now he said that he is certain that it will lead to enlightenment. And I heard that buddhism has a lot of parallels with quantum physics

Any thoughts?

Anyway this is the region I'm planning to go, (Zanskar)

Might make a good trek even if the meditation turns out to be a waste of time
Attached files
member520746
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol ****ing hell, students. It looks nice and it might be an experience but months meditating on Buddhist philosophy in the Himalayas isn't going to give you the answer to life for when you come back to the 9-5 unless you turn into an insufferable hippie afterwards or some ****. The whole idea of being an affluent Westerner going on a quasi-holiday to find himself isn't exactly the fulfilment of the Buddhist mentality. If you really need a think then read a few books and go out for a fag, standard
bpbp
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
Lol ****ing hell, students. It looks nice and it might be an experience but months meditating on Buddhist philosophy in the Himalayas isn't going to give you the answer to life for when you come back to the 9-5 unless you turn into an insufferable hippie afterwards or some ****. The whole idea of being an affluent Westerner going on a quasi-holiday to find himself isn't exactly the fulfilment of the Buddhist mentality. If you really need a think then read a few books and go out for a fag, standard
I'd recommend starting with Bertrand Russell
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
looks lovely but where are you going to sleep? under a rock?

just sounds like self indulgent BS to me but go for it if you want. it's a beautiful place.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by blacklistmember)
Does it sound crazy?

I plan to do Buddhist meditation. The whole idea is to find enlightenment within this very life. Basically its just observing the mind and trying to see what its nature really is.

And I have a friend who had everything in life but took to this path, and now he said that he is certain that it will lead to enlightenment. And I heard that buddhism has a lot of parallels with quantum physics

Any thoughts?

Just so you know, the weather won't be perfect and clear like the photo, likely it'll be raining and miserable. So don't base this on some idyllic ideal
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The best meditation is one that occurs every waking hour of your life.
Infallible
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have my best thoughts whilst going to sleep because my mind is at ease and free of worry.
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I usually meditate in toilet while performing certain activity. It brings peace to my mind and (even more so) to my body.
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bpbp)
I'd recommend starting with Bertrand Russell
Bertrand Russell? Never heard of those cigarettes before, are they nice?
examination
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
Bertrand Russell? Never heard of those cigarettes before, are they nice?
Do forgive me if you meant this as a joke (I seem to possess the inability to sense sarcasm) but in the chance that you were serious, Bertrand Russell is a famous philosopher
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by examination)
Do forgive me if you meant this as a joke (I seem to possess the inability to sense sarcasm) but in the chance that you were serious, Bertrand Russell is a famous philosopher
Lol it was a joke mate don't worry
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds great!
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just don't meditate too much, and avoid walking meditations.
blacklistmember
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Sounds great!
Why? Have you tried it?
Julian_valensi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does it sound crazy?

Any thoughts?

I admire you, while other people on this thread are sitting behind a computer poking fun you are planning what sounds like a real adventure. Even if you dont find iner piece and become a real bodhisattva you will have one hell of a story!

I am wondering if you plan to integrate with the bhudist community while there?
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why? Have you tried it?
i would love to!!
blacklistmember
Rep:
?
(Original post by Julian_valensi)
I admire you, while other people on this thread are sitting behind a computer poking fun you are planning what sounds like a real adventure. Even if you dont find iner piece and become a real bodhisattva you will have one hell of a story!

I am wondering if you plan to integrate with the bhudist community while there?
Yep, there is this monk i will be meeting

and yeah, i'll hope i'll meet people over there who speaks english so i could talk with them about buddhist philosophy
Some random guy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should film it and make a documentary while you're there.
dews1290
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Take a shower Hippie !!!!!!
Newky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When young people get excited about Zen they often give up schooling and go to some mountain or forest in order to sit. That kind of interest is not true interest.
-Shunryu Suzuki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (880)
42.64%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads