Britons .... Polite but Boring !!! Watch

Byronic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
More liberal, higher GDP per capita, owning more land and generally more prosperous.

Could be anything you want it to mean really considering values can't be universalised.
Precisely; your definition is inexorably linked to fiscal achievement.

As you stated, leading a generally happy life, living without fear, becoming successful in an art, raising a decent family etc could all be possible criterion for success, depending of course on your values.

Therefore the assessment that American's are generally more successful than Britons is defunct.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some people consider a successful life one spent in the servitude of Allah. I don't, and wouldn't consider a country where this was prominent a success no matter whether the people enjoyed it or not.
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some people consider a successful life one spent in the servitude of Allah. I don't, and wouldn't consider a country where this was prominent a success no matter whether the people enjoyed it or not.
That's not really the point though, is it? What we've both concluded is that success is wholly subjective and so you can only judge your success by what you consider important.

You could say "I'd rather live in America because it will make such and such a goal more accessible" - the same as Mohammad Bloggs could say "I'd rather live in Saudi Arabia because it will mean I can achieve a more fundamental Islamic lifestyle".
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's dependant on an entirely relativist and subjectivistic attitude, one that I do not consider an appropriate way to judge the merits of people and purpose of life.
eleri
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
I wasn't suggesting that there is no where else worth seeing. I've seen the Parthenon and it was spectacular, but 90% of the time (I think this is true for both of us) we just want to take a break and relax and "get away from it all", as the Beach Boys would put it. For the 10% of the time you want to learn about history, then you are better off getting on a plane and fly for 7 hours or so and see Europe.

I think convenience plays a big role in decision making for vacations. I think most Europeans vacation in Europe because it is easier for them just as it is easier for us to vacation within the USA. The difference is that you are going to need a passport and I'm not if I want to travel a few thousand miles away.

One factor that plays a role in my vacation decision making is the level of anti-americanism I see in western europe. I stopped going in the late 90s, after I had vacationed there 7 times, because I grew tired of the ignorant america-bashing. This is something you don't have to deal with because Americans are pro-british and will welcome you with open arms.

Did you know that a similar number of Canadians don't have passports? Why aren't those provincial Canadians frowned upon?
Sorry, no, I didn't phrase myself very well - you didn't actually say that, it was just the implication that I got, from what I'd read so far.

The point still stands that there are plenty of Americans who do seem to think like that though, or why not at least have a passport? What do you think about that?
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you hadn't realised they've got so many different cultures in America they're probably more cultured than most Europeans.
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's dependant on an entirely relativist and subjectivistic attitude, one that I do not consider an appropriate way to judge the merits of people and purpose of life.
There is so much irony in that.

If you hadn't realised they've got so many different cultures in America they're probably more cultured than most Europeans.
Another erroneous statement. Most of the communities in America are deeply segregated and rarely crossover.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why irony?
Higgy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Arggg will people stop saying vacation its HOLIDAY
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bryonic:

"Most of the communities in America are deeply segregated and rarely crossover."

Um, where's the proof in that statement? What evidence is this opinion based on?

Eleri:

"The point still stands that there are plenty of Americans who do seem to think like that though, or why not at least have a passport? What do you think about that?"

Hmm,... well I know you addressed that the MITUSA ... but unless americans can afford both the time and money of overseas travel...why should they?

As long as they already have a state ID/ drivers liscense That is accepted all over both North and South America? (with a few exceptions).

Imagine if it was the same for all Europeans and Asians .... their "passport" basically performs the same function as a state ID/ drivers liscense.

It's like asking why most 16 year olds in the UK don't have a drivers liscense...
Becuase they probably don't need it.... where the majority of 16 year olds in the US DO have it. Heck, I got my motorcycle license at 17....
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by djchak)
Bryonic:

"Most of the communities in America are deeply segregated and rarely crossover."

Um, where's the proof in that statement? What evidence is this opinion based on?
You're American and deny this? I'm sure AO could find some excellent sources to illustrate the way in which black and white communities remain firmly divided.

This is vaguely related: http://www.polis.iupui.edu/RUC/Newsl...ch/vol2no4.htm
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"You're American and deny this?"

Where is the evidence? Hey, I live in one of the most "segregated" cities in the world, admittedly. But the irony is...it's also one of the most diverse. ANY large city will have pockets of SELF segregation, especially in the urban areas....and MASSIVE diversity in everyday life, downtown where everyone works together.

It's like saying Japan or Malaysia or Austria has little segregation......well...that's becuase they are largely homogenous.

I'm sure you could find a study in those countries claiming that London is largely segregated.... but the point is, London is also one of the most diverse cities in the WORLD. This should be a huge point of pride for the UK...they are pioneers of true multi ethic freedom.

Indiana is home to Gary...one of the most run down cities in the US....it makes Detroit look good.

I have no idea who AO is.

I admit, I become...concerned...when people complain about "segregation" , while glossing over the benefits of a multi ethnic society. But if you prefer a homogenous population mix, that's your opinion. You have every right to it.
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Byronic)
Another erroneous statement. Most of the communities in America are deeply segregated and rarely crossover.

Tell that to my Korean adopted Aunt. Or, maybe my Half American/Half Mexican stepbrothers and sister. Or, my black uncle? Tool.
citrus_punch
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I see the study didnt mention what ppl thought of australians. Australia where's that? i hear them say
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rusty33)
Tell that to my Korean adopted Aunt. Or, maybe my Half American/Half Mexican stepbrothers and sister. Or, my black uncle? Tool.
So, your experience is enough evidence to account for the entire United States? Tool.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And your beliefs are?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And your beliefs are?
Well, I don't see that much mixing at all.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair play. Your opinion seems more valid that Byronic as his seems to be an attitude of subjectivistic appeasement, not what I'd expect from a libertarian.
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What? A libertarian wouldn't force people to mix. Freedom of association.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely you consider the existence of serving yourself a better alternative to spending a life of servitude of some god or other?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
26.94%
No (461)
73.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise