The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
ForeverIsMyName
Surely you consider the existence of serving yourself a better alternative to spending a life of servitude of some god or other?

Of course I do.
Reply 221
Byronic
So, your experience is enough evidence to account for the entire United States? Tool.

Experience carries more weight than observant speculation.
eleri
Sorry, no, I didn't phrase myself very well - you didn't actually say that, it was just the implication that I got, from what I'd read so far.

The point still stands that there are plenty of Americans who do seem to think like that though, or why not at least have a passport? What do you think about that?

I explained this in my reply to you before, but maybe my explanation bears repeating because it's a issue that seemingly gets raised everyday somewhere on this forum. Most Americans don't have passports because they can travel thousands of miles without needing one. If each of our 50 states were their own countries requiring passports for entry, then we would all have passports.

I'm not going to imply that you think your own country is the only one that has anything worth seeing, but you may not be aware of all the US has to offer.

If you are interested in going to beaches, you can go to Hanalei Bay in Hawaii, Ocracoke Island in North Carolina, Coast Guard Beach in Cape Cod, Massachusetts or Key Biscayne, Florida, among many other places.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have some wonderful places to go if you like to ski. Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, New York State, Maine and Vermont offer some of the best skiing in the world.

Vegas is the world's best place to go for gambling - hands down.

When you are up for a good time or want to relax, you can do just about everything without leaving the borders.
Fishing Vacations? Hot air balloon racing? Amusement parks? Golf Courses? Rafting Trips? Rock Climbing? Kayaking? Surfing? Sky diving? Scuba diving? Hiking? No passport? No problem!
Reply 223
Made in the USA
I explained this in my reply to you before, but maybe my explanation bears repeating because it's a issue that seemingly gets raised everyday somewhere on this forum. Most Americans don't have passports because they can travel thousands of miles without needing one. If each of our 50 states were their own countries requiring passports for entry, then we would all have passports.

I'm not going to imply that you think your own country is the only one that has anything worth seeing, but you may not be aware of all the US has to offer.

If you are interested in going to beaches, you can go to Hanalei Bay in Hawaii, Ocracoke Island in North Carolina, Coast Guard Beach in Cape Cod, Massachusetts or Key Biscayne, Florida, among many other places.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have some wonderful places to go if you like to ski. Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, New York State, Maine and Vermont offer some of the best skiing in the world.

Vegas is the world's best place to go for gambling - hands down.

When you are up for a good time or want to relax, you can do just about everything without leaving the borders.
Fishing Vacations? Hot air balloon racing? Amusement parks? Golf Courses? Rafting Trips? Rock Climbing? Kayaking? Surfing? Sky diving? Scuba diving? Hiking? No passport? No problem!

I know plenty about the States thanks; I've visited it, and it's impossible to live over here and not get a good sense of the country as a whole through television, films, etc.

I've also been to Ireland, France (also lived there for seven months), Germany, Belgium, Holland, the Czech Republic, Barbados, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Slovenia, Tenerife, Luxembourg, Austria, Canada... Each of which has it's own identity, culture, differing languages...

So who's seen and experienced more of the world? Me, or someone who'd never left their own country, but has travelled a lot within it? I'm not denying that there's a huge range of things to see and do in the States, I'm just saying that anyone who doesn't ever leave America is missing out on a lot of culture, and history. And as someone who studies a language, and has an interest in history, I don't agree that there is no reason to ever look elsewhere for all this.

And that is why I think Americans have a stereotypical reputation of being ignorant, in the sense of being insular really. I'm not saying that I agree with such a strong definition, just that I can understand how it came to exist.
Reply 224
eleri
I've also been to Ireland, France (also lived there for seven months), Germany, Belgium, Holland, the Czech Republic, Barbados, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Slovenia, Tenerife, Luxembourg, Austria, Canada...

And that is why I think Americans have a stereotypical reputation of being ignorant, in the sense of being insular really.

I've visited it, and it's impossible to live over here and not get a good sense of the country as a whole through television, films, etc.

How you could have these three phrases in one post and expect to be taken seriously is beyond me.

Arrogant wealth, strong generalizations, and blatant ignorance, all together. Nice work.
Reply 225
Rusty33
How you could have these three phrases in one post and expect to be taken seriously is beyond me.

Arrogant wealth, strong generalizations, and blatant ignorance, all together. Nice work.

I'd like to hear a justification of that. Your selective editing cunningly missed out the part where I said I didn't agree with the American stereotype, and that I was just expressing an opinion as to how it might have arisen.

If American people want to stay within America and not travel elsewhere, that is their right, and it really doesn't affect me. I just disagree with the claim that there is no need to go anywhere else, that you can get anything you might be looking for in a holiday within the States. I like history, and languages, and diversity, the only one of which that you'll find in particularly plentiful supply in the States is the diversity. But this is all MY OPINION.

Don't get me wrong, I like the States. So far I've travelled up most of the East coast, and I want to come back and see more. But it's not the be all and end all for me.

Arrogant wealth? Hardly! How you can make assumptions about how well-off I am from a list of places I've visited is beyond me. Or how arrogant I am, for that matter. If you think I'm taking it lightly that I've been to lots of places around Europe, you'd be wrong. Most of those holidays were done on the cheap when I was young, because my parents put a bit emphasis on going out into the world and seeing things. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper for me to visit Europe than an American anyway, I freely admit that.

I'm sorry for generalizing, but I did stress that it was my theory. And when we're talking about stereotypes, generalizations are obviously going to be a cause.

As for my blatant ignorance? What part of my post shows that? If it was about the TV part... TV isn't an accurate representation of real life, it's an exaggeration of it. But it does reflect the culture of the place it was produced to some extent - language, comedy, lifestyle, for example - or else why would the TV of different countries be so different? It's a fact that, for instance, British people often have quite a good understanding of American language variations from TV and film. American TV and films are shown throughout the world, in fact, but how much in the way of foreign TV or films is on TV there on a regular basis? I could be wrong about this, and I'm sure you'll say I am anyway, but from what I saw when I was there (which, admittedly, was a limited amount compared to your experience, before you accuse me of generalizing again), it's not much.

Insulting me personally without explanation isn't the most effective way of making your points...
Reply 226
"So who's seen and experienced more of the world? Me, or someone who'd never left their own country"

I think this is the "theory" that many americans think is arrogant.

As in, to be knowledgable, americans MUST travel and visit other countries to learn about REAL culture....as americans don't "have any". Native american history is neither "real history" nor "real culture", and nothing in the US itself has any historiacal significance.

Never mind that a different country and culture is a short train ride away in Europe. Never mind that it is much cheaper to travel to Asia from Europe. Americans are de-facto ignorant if they remain in the US..... and if they should visit any other part of the world, that just proves how "insular" they were to start with.

Does anyone outside of the US not realize how much this theory encourages Americans to visit all thier states as a goal BEFORE they get a chance to check out "the rest of the world"?
Reply 227
djchak
"So who's seen and experienced more of the world? Me, or someone who'd never left their own country"

As in, to be knowledgable, americans MUST travel and visit other countries to learn about REAL culture....as americans don't "have any". Native american history is neither "real history" nor "real culture", and nothing in the US itself has any historiacal significance.

Never mind that a different country and culture is a short train ride away in Europe. Never mind that it is much cheaper to travel to Asia from Europe. Americans are de-facto ignorant if they remain in the US..... and if they should visit any other part of the world, that just proves how "insular" they were to start with.

Does anyone outside of the US not realize how much this theory encourages Americans to visit all thier states as a goal BEFORE they get a chance to check out "the rest of the world"?

I didn't say it made me more knowledgeable. I said it meant I'd seen more of the world. Which is a fact - I have seen quite a few countries.

And again, can I remind you that I didn't say I necessarily agreed with this stereotype; I was hypothesizing as to how it has arisen. I didn't say anything about native american culture and history not being worth seeing - I don't think that for a second - I was merely pointing out that America is still a young country, and most other countries have a much longer history that I would've thought would be interesting to see as well as American history.

And please don't use quote marks to comment on something I didn't actually say! ("real history", "real culture", Americans don't "have any".)

If you actually read my posts carefully, I think you'll find they're a lot more balanced than your reaction would suggest, or at least that's how they're intended to be. I've said that I like America, I want to see more of it, I know that it's easier for me to get to Europe, etc. BUT that there are also things worth making a big effort to see outside the States. That's not really so unreasonable, surely?!
djchak

I personally think the Americans being 'provincal' is inevitable and entirely understandable, given the diversty of climate and landscape they have--not many people would be bothered to suffer the inconvinience of learning other languages, and going elsewhere....
Reply 229
eleri
I didn't say it made me more knowledgeable. I said it meant I'd seen more of the world. Which is a fact - I have seen quite a few countries.

And again, can I remind you that I didn't say I necessarily agreed with this stereotype; I was hypothesizing as to how it has arisen. I didn't say anything about native american culture and history not being worth seeing - I don't think that for a second - I was merely pointing out that America is still a young country, and most other countries have a much longer history that I would've thought would be interesting to see as well as American history.

And please don't use quote marks to comment on something I didn't actually say! ("real history", "real culture", Americans don't "have any".)

If you actually read my posts carefully, I think you'll find they're a lot more balanced than your reaction would suggest, or at least that's how they're intended to be. I've said that I like America, I want to see more of it, I know that it's easier for me to get to Europe, etc. BUT that there are also things worth making a big effort to see outside the States. That's not really so unreasonable, surely?!

OK, I never said that you yourself "necessarily agreed with this stereotype"
and "I was hypothesizing as to how it has arisen."

But the point is....I'm arguing against the stereotype that you have hypothesized, because I believe it to be very common....to break down stereotypes we need both opinions and facts. We also need to keep in mind that there IS a element of truth in the sterotypes, but perhaps they are misinterpreted to mean something else.

"didn't say anything about native american culture and history not being worth seeing......I was merely pointing out that America is still a young country"

Again, here is where we get into murky territory. Native americans have been around for much longer than the actual USA....But point taken.

And if history were the only thing that made countries "interesting to see", then british holidaymakers would be in full force in India and China... :biggrin:

Honestly, I think your post was good becuase it was honest, i'm just trying to add to the discussion. But now you might understand some reasons from "our side" , that you might not have understood before....
I'm going to try again and maybe this time you'll read my post carefully so there won't be any misunderstandings.

eleri
I'm not denying that there's a huge range of things to see and do in the States, I'm just saying that anyone who doesn't ever leave America is missing out on a lot of culture, and history.

You are agreeing with me. Look at what I wrote in my previous post:

Made in the USA
I wasn't suggesting that there is no where else worth seeing. I've seen the Parthenon and it was spectacular, but 90% of the time (I think this is true for both of us) we just want to take a break and relax and "get away from it all", as the Beach Boys would put it. For the 10% of the time you want to learn about history, then you are better off getting on a plane and fly for 7 hours or so and see Europe.

I just said that you are better off flying to Europe if you want to learn about History and culture. We both agree. What is the problem?

eleri
And as someone who studies a language, and has an interest in history, I don't agree that there is no reason to ever look elsewhere for all this.

Again, where did I say this? We're on the same page. My point is that most people don't vacation to learn about history. Most people vacation to relax and do something fun. The percentage of people in the world who travel to learn about new cultures are in the minority, and even these people spend the majority of their free time going to places to relax rather than going to places to get an education about a different culture. 90% percent of Americans and Europeans just want to go to sameplace fun that has different weather. Americans don't need a passport for these type of vacations. You do.

eleri
And that is why I think Americans have a stereotypical reputation of being ignorant, in the sense of being insular really. I'm not saying that I agree with such a strong definition, just that I can understand how it came to exist.

Up until now I've been scratching my head wondering why you keep insisting that I'm saying that you don't need to leave the US to experience new culture, history and language. :confused:

The reason why you keep reading things in my posts I'm not saying is because you can't set aside or look past your own anti-american bias and stereotypes. I've done my best to explain that not having a passport has more to do with the size of the USA, convenience, the range of activities to do here, and the type of vacations people typically take. Djchak pointed out that we have only about 2 weeks max to spend, which is another good point. You think the reason is because Americans are insular and there is really nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.
eleri
I just disagree with the claim that there is no need to go anywhere else, that you can get anything you might be looking for in a holiday within the States. I like history, and languages, and diversity, the only one of which that you'll find in particularly plentiful supply in the States is the diversity. But this is all MY OPINION.

Where is this claim? The whole premise of your entire argument is bogus. No one ever made this claim.
Reply 232
So claim was the wrong word. I still felt that it was implied. How about we drop that?

Made in the USA
The reason why you keep reading things in my posts I'm not saying is because you can't set aside or look past your own anti-american bias and stereotypes. I've done my best to explain that not having a passport has more to do with the size of the USA, convenience, the range of activities to do here, and the type of vacations people typically take. Djchak pointed out that we have only about 2 weeks max to spend, which is another good point. You think the reason is because Americans are insular and there is really nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Don't patronise me. Also, don't lecture me about not reading your posts properly, when I've already stated several times that I don't have an anti-american bias, I don't agree with the stereotype myself, I don't think Americans are that insular...

What I was saying was representative of the attitude that an awful lot of Europeans have towards Americans. AGAIN, I don't really agree with it myself. BUT we were talking about stereotypes, and like it or not, that is the stereotypical view that a lot of Europeans have of Americans.

If I have repeated myself, or you, then I'm sorry, but it was obviously because I felt that I wasn't being listened to either. I propose we drop this now?
Reply 233
eleri
What I was saying was representative of the attitude that an awful lot of Europeans have towards Americans.

I agree with that 100% (Not to generalize) :biggrin:
Reply 234
naivesincerity
I personally think the Americans being 'provincal' is inevitable and entirely understandable, given the diversty of climate and landscape they have--not many people would be bothered to suffer the inconvinience of learning other languages, and going elsewhere....

That and the cheapest ticket to Europe is an uncomfortable 800 dollars. And, to Asia another 800. To the beaches of Miami, 250. To the mountains of Colorado, 100. And, the deserts of Arizona, 200.

Not to mention the hassle of international travel since 9/11 is a nightmare. Not knowing languages is a complication. Conversion of money is inconvenient. And, if people have any perception of how Americans are based on the opinions put forth by the memebers of this thread, I don't want to waste the money.
"Of course I do."

Then isn't America a better place to live than Saudi Arabia then?
Reply 236
I'm part American, and if I believed in God I would thank him everyday for not living in America.

American's are ignorant ("Isn't England a city in France?", "We're going to London, which is in England - No, we're going to Angleland, England is a city in Angleland", "Polish is so similar to German", "German's have cars and traffic lights?????")

Very materialistic (they are worse than the most materialistic people in England and Germany that I've met, "ew, you've already worn that shirt this week", "you're a girl, why don't you wear make-up?", etc.),

Very individualistic and New rightesque ("I don't care about homeless people", "Abortion's should be illegal, if a girl doens't want to get pregnant she shouldn't have sex" [hello, what about the males?], "It's poor people's own fault for being poor".
"American's are ignorant"

Killed your own argument.
Reply 238
strange
Very individualistic and New rightesque ("I don't care about homeless people", "Abortion's should be illegal, if a girl doens't want to get pregnant she shouldn't have sex" [hello, what about the males?], "It's poor people's own fault for being poor".

What about the males? They don't get pregnant do they?:confused:
Reply 239
ForeverIsMyName
"American's are ignorant"

Killed your own argument.

Harsh!

Latest

Trending

Trending