The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thought about doing it before, then I realised I'd actually have to maintain it and thought **** it! If someone has a problem with it, then it's their problem not mine. Bad enough shaving legs, armpits etc. I don't want another part of my body I have to do! Plus arm stubble is worse than an arm jungle.
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Yep!
I totally agree with the bikini wax...and eyebrows.
But arm hair?!
I have long hairs on my arms...but they're light and soft. I think it would probably feel less smooth if I started to remove them!

I know, if I left my eyebrows to themselves they might start looking a bit wolfman-ish :P

But shaving your arms just sounds like a recipe for the worlds worst shaving rash, I don't know about you but the skin on my arms feels quite delicate, I don't want to put a razor anywhere near it.

Also arm stubble would be horrific, with legs you can just wear trouser or tights if your hairs grown a bit but arms are trickier!
Reply 82
Shave...your arms? It's never once crossed my mind. I'm brunette but the hair on my arms is quite light, so you cannot really see it. Does it actually bother guys? I mean I can imagine if it was gorilla-like then maybe...
Reply 83
I don't think I've ever thought about it and I'm surely not doing it as well. Gods. If a guy can't stand my arms having natural hair on it, then that's his problem. Plus, that's just so much maintenance.
I did when I was younger and self conscious lol, now I wouldn't bother at all. :dontknow: Hate shaving anyway, not gonna do it more than absolutely necessary.
Reply 85
I have dark blond hair, but unfortunately quite dark hair on my arms. Well, sorta.

I wouldn't usually shave my arms, but I have been recently as I have trichotillomania which a few months ago sort of 'migrated' onto my arms. So I thought the only way to combat that was to shave my arms. I wouldn't have done it normally, I'm only doing it to prevent me unintentionally hurting or scarring myself.

I think girls shouldn't worry about shaving their arms, but they should do it if they're feeling self conscious, if they prefer it or any other reason.
I have hair on my arms, but I don't shave them.

& serious :lolwut: to the guys saying arm hair is 'gross'. You do realise it's just hair, as in the stuff everyone has on their heads?
Original post by Pi!
I don't shave any part of myself. Can't be bothered/it's winter, I need the warming fur/I'm beautiful how I am/etc..

Do you in summer though?
Reply 88
Original post by gemnomnom
Do you in summer though?

No.
I have fair skin and my arm hair was incredibly dark. I was self concious of it and thought it looked horrendous so I started shaving my arms when I was about 16/17. I don't understand how people think if you shave, it comes back darker - utter rubbish. I'd never not shave my arms now as my arms look so much better and i'm way more confident without hairy arms!

As for the OP title - i'm not being funny but why would a guy specifically want a girl with hairy arms? :lolwut:

I think you should shave your arms if it'll make you happier/more confident. It takes less than 2 minutes to shave your arms in the shower, and only has to be done every week or so. Hardly a huge maintenance issue tbh.
Reply 90
Waxing is alot more efficient :smile:
Reply 91
I went out with a girl who used to shave her arms and I didn't like it. Stubbly arms... gross.

Veet hair removal jollop or even better laser hair removal.
Reply 92
Of all things, why would you SHAVE??? Do pretty much anything but that if you're actually going to remove the hair.

I have pretty hairy arms and have had a few guys make comments about it (funnily enough they were all dicks whose opinions I couldn't care less about) but I honestly cba to have to maintain my arms. I already have enough other bloody things to do without pissing around with my arms as well!!!

Seeing as you car about guys: if a guy likes you, he will not care about your arms. If you're being rejected by a guy simply because of your arm hair, you're better off without.
Reply 93
Having spoken to my female friends, this seems to be an Asian thing to do.
IE a result of having thicker black hairs.
So those of you who don't have these can breathe a sigh of relief.
Wow this is so weird.
Who would even have time to do that anyway? I mean as girls we already shave under our arms, our legs, pluck eyebrows etc etc. That's enough maintenance for me! It's natural.. yes if I had arms like Robin Williams then I'd do something about it, but even if you have quite dark visible hair I don't think it's worth worrying over!
Original post by redferry
Having spoken to my female friends, this seems to be an Asian thing to do.
IE a result of having thicker black hairs.
So those of you who don't have these can breathe a sigh of relief.

Yes I've noticed this as well.

I live in a very asian area and most of the asian beauty salons offer arm waxing, I've never seen it anywhere else.

None of my asian friends do it though.
Reply 96
I wax my arms because it was something I used to be really insecure about (I'd say naturally they're worse than that OP's. I don't bother to wax them till they're completely hairless though, just so it's not as noticeable.
Reply 97
Original post by deadwing
I wax my arms because it was something I used to be really insecure about (I'd say naturally they're worse than that OP's. I don't bother to wax them till they're completely hairless though, just so it's not as noticeable.

How do you not fully wax your arms? Its not possible to half wax, or wax patches?
Original post by Eternal*
How do you not fully wax your arms? Its not possible to half wax, or wax patches?

Maybe she just does forearms?
Reply 99
Original post by croag
I have dark blond hair, but unfortunately quite dark hair on my arms. Well, sorta.

I wouldn't usually shave my arms, but I have been recently as I have trichotillomania which a few months ago sort of 'migrated' onto my arms. So I thought the only way to combat that was to shave my arms. I wouldn't have done it normally, I'm only doing it to prevent me unintentionally hurting or scarring myself.

I think girls shouldn't worry about shaving their arms, but they should do it if they're feeling self conscious, if they prefer it or any other reason.

I have trichotillomania, too. I tried pulling the hairs off my arm once and it hurt like a bitch, but I have dark hair with very fair skin so I try and remove the hair anyway whenever my arms aren't covered. They feel nice without hair, I find :h:

Latest