The Student Room Group

The new war: Anti-social behaviour or terrorists?

Look, I know that you will probably say that the government should spend more time and money on combating terrorism but at the moment, the constant threat that we face in Britain today, isn't the possibility of a terrorist attack but being victims of anti-social behaviour. If I had God-like powers or something, I would just shoot dead all of those who act anti-socially because I just can't stand it.

For example, in London today, if you go round most estates, it's common to find a gang of about 5-10 youths, usually in hoodies and sports gear, hanging around bored, looking to do something classed as anti-social, such as graffiting, hurling abuse at/intimidating people or break up stuff.

A few years ago, I thought it was safe enough to just walk wherever you wanted in London but now days, my parents and other responsible people always ask me to watch myself when I'm going out. They might be paranoid but I don't blame them. Everyday, there are a few innocent people who are just taking a walk back from work or school and then get stabbed by gangs of youths. If they want mobile phones and money so desperately, then why not rob the Carphone Warehouse stores (to anyone working at CPW, sorry for using it as an example!) or some banks or something? These days, if I see at least 2/3 youths dressed in hoodies/tracksuit, I wouldn't go near them and just walk somewhere else.

Some of you might find this offending and that I have such a strong stereotype of what these 'youths' look like and that it's unfair to be cautious around hoodie-wearing teenagers but there is no doubt that the majority of those arrested dress like this anyways.

Anyways, sorry for my outburst at the wee hours of the morning but I just feel strongly about this and is one of the main reasons why I will definitely be moving out of the UK one day.

Ok, you can give me loads of negative rep and flame me as much as you want now.............

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you speak the truth. do you want to be the next home secretary?
Reply 2
byakugan_neji
Look, I know that you will probably say that the government should spend more time and money on combating terrorism but at the moment, the constant threat that we face in Britain today, isn't the possibility of a terrorist attack but being victims of anti-social behaviour. If I had God-like powers or something, I would just shoot dead all of those who act anti-socially because I just can't stand it.

For example, in London today, if you go round most estates, it's common to find a gang of about 5-10 youths, usually in hoodies and sports gear, hanging around bored, looking to do something classed as anti-social, such as graffiting, hurling abuse at/intimidating people or break up stuff.

A few years ago, I thought it was safe enough to just walk wherever you wanted in London but now days, my parents and other responsible people always ask me to watch myself when I'm going out. They might be paranoid but I don't blame them. Everyday, there are a few innocent people who are just taking a walk back from work or school and then get stabbed by gangs of youths. If they want mobile phones and money so desperately, then why not rob the Carphone Warehouse stores (to anyone working at CPW, sorry for using it as an example!) or some banks or something? These days, if I see at least 2/3 youths dressed in hoodies/tracksuit, I wouldn't go near them and just walk somewhere else.

Some of you might find this offending and that I have such a strong stereotype of what these 'youths' look like and that it's unfair to be cautious around hoodie-wearing teenagers but there is no doubt that the majority of those arrested dress like this anyways.

Anyways, sorry for my outburst at the wee hours of the morning but I just feel strongly about this and is one of the main reasons why I will definitely be moving out of the UK one day.

Ok, you can give me loads of negative rep and flame me as much as you want now.............

I wouldn't call these people anti-social just victims of rap music and urban culture which has degraded society
No no I agree, the antisocial are just dutty and should be cleaned up. They give us London youth in general a bad name.
Reply 4
grandpaw
you speak the truth. do you want to be the next home secretary?

Well, I suspect that the Home Secretary thinks alike but he is probably too scared to speak out in fear that his home will get smashed and torched up by a few gangs.
byakugan_neji
Well, I suspect that the Home Secretary thinks alike but he is probably too scared to speak out in fear that his home will get smashed and torched up by a few gangs.

He couldn't tell though :tongue:
Reply 6
MuniE
I wouldn't call these people anti-social just victims of rap music and urban culture which has degraded society

no way. rap music doesnt do this to them. consider the eighties and the seventies, before rap music, you still had the same problems.
Reply 7
byakugan_neji

again i have to say that being anti-social didnt cause this problem.. anti-social ppl stay in their houses and are afraid of people... these trouble makers just think they are tough or thugs.. they should be sent to work camps
Reply 8
grandpaw
no way. rap music doesnt do this to them. consider the eighties and the seventies, before rap music, you still had the same problems.

Yea, it just happens that some of these youths like rap music. It doesn't mean rap music has caused the behaviour.

I think some people give a valid point when they blame it on unemployment or being looked badly after but I still don't think going round ruining other people's lives is justifiable.
Reply 9
byakugan_neji
Yea, it just happens that some of these youths like rap music. It doesn't mean rap music has caused the behaviour.

I think some people give a valid point when they blame it on unemployment or being looked badly after but I still don't think going round ruining other people's lives is justifiable.

ok if not rap music then the affect rap culture has on society. when they see former pimps and criminals become rich overnight they throw away their education because they think they will become millionaires overnight playing basketball or freestyling on the streets....
Reply 10
MuniE
ok if not rap music then the affect rap culture has on society. when they see former pimps and criminals become rich overnight they throw away their education because they think they will become millionaires overnight playing basketball or freestyling on the streets....

not really in england though. they're more likely to listen to garage.
Reply 11
piginapoke
Nothing antisocial about that then.

Ok, maybe I went a bit too far there. Well, if you managed to collect all the guilty ones, what would you do with them? Rehab them?
Reply 12
grandpaw
not really in england though. they're more likely to listen to garage.

lol i just really hate rap.. blmae everything on it
Reply 13
byakugan_neji
Ok, maybe I went a bit too far there. Well, if you managed to collect all the guilty ones, what would you do with them? Rehab them?

work camps
Reply 14
byakugan_neji

make them do work. like build houses. or hospitals. or schools. etc
Reply 15
piginapoke
There was a program (Macintyre investigates or some such) a while back where a guy went round London clutching a mobile phone and a laptop (and hidden camera) to see if anyone would rob him. He did get robbed in the end, but he practically had to hand the phone over and that was only after hours of trying and blatantly sauntering past gangs waving the phone in the air.

LOL, I have actually thought about when someone would do that. Like get an undercover police officer to get the latest £500 mobile phone and wear a couple of diamond-crusted Rolexs and try walking around the 'rough' London estates.
Reply 16
piginapoke
Whatever happened to chain gangs? Community service is a nonsense.

thats what i was talking about, not community service, but forced unpaid labour.
grandpaw
make them do work. like build houses. or hospitals. or schools. etc

They wouldn't do it (or do it effectively) if they don't want to. Perhaps if they are put on such programs a scheme of encouragement and reward should be put into place so they don't feel like they're just being punished...
Reply 18
piginapoke
Whatever happened to chain gangs? Community service is a nonsense.

lol i like the way u think
Reply 19
XTinaA
They wouldn't do it (or do it effectively) if they don't want to. Perhaps if they are put on such programs a scheme of encouragement and reward should be put into place so they don't feel like they're just being punished...

why shouldnt they be punished?

Latest

Trending

Trending