The Student Room Group

OCR Economics F585 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by evelynevelyn
Can't be on a topic not in the case study. Possibly protectionism (extract 4) or something comparing UK and Chinese economy, or inflation. Those are the things I am really going to focus essays questions but will do others too.

There are no defined topics in the case study though. There could easily be a twenty mark question incorporating all corners of the syllabus.
"It is the ability to reason through a judgement, rather than simply paraphrase what has gone before, which makes the best conclusions stand out" -- I'm finding this quote from the Tutor2u booklet itself standing out. Nothing has helped my essays more.

I've made notes on each of the extracts -- essentially retyping the tutor2u booklet. What now? People keep telling me 'this isn't an exam you can just revise for' but considering the amount of theor yin the specification and the textbook, I'm really tempted to do some theory. Exactly what though I have no idea.

Also, if it's legal, I can upload some of my notes here.
Original post by Placebo101
"It is the ability to reason through a judgement, rather than simply paraphrase what has gone before, which makes the best conclusions stand out" -- I'm finding this quote from the Tutor2u booklet itself standing out. Nothing has helped my essays more.

I've made notes on each of the extracts -- essentially retyping the tutor2u booklet. What now? People keep telling me 'this isn't an exam you can just revise for' but considering the amount of theor yin the specification and the textbook, I'm really tempted to do some theory. Exactly what though I have no idea.

Also, if it's legal, I can upload some of my notes here.

Omg that would be so helpful!

I've taken the opposite road to you and chosen instead to learn almost all the content (some in more detail than others) and have not really done anything on the extracts. I feel that has worked for me because since I know the content quite well, I can still answer questions on the extract by apply the content to it. I did however research the context behind some of the things in the pre-release.
Reply 223
Omg that would be so helpful!

I've taken the opposite road to you and chosen instead to learn almost all the content (some in more detail than others) and have not really done anything on the extracts. I feel that has worked for me because since I know the content quite well, I can still answer questions on the extract by apply the content to it. I did however research the context behind some of the things in the pre-release.

That's mental! Our teacher says the exam board knows that teachers couldn't teach everything on the spec and said as soon as they get the pre-release that they should concentrate on that.
Our class basically spent 2 lessons on the pre-release to work out what parts can come up from the spec related to the extracts. Our teacher also worked very hard over the Easter holidays to type out and answer any possible questions which could come up in the exam so i just basically have to learn all the information she's given the class.
Reply 224
Original post by Groat
There are no defined topics in the case study though. There could easily be a twenty mark question incorporating all corners of the syllabus.

It's unlikely though my teacher says the 20 marker is pretty much always on the last extract
Original post by Clare1994
That's mental! Our teacher says the exam board knows that teachers couldn't teach everything on the spec and said as soon as they get the pre-release that they should concentrate on that.
Our class basically spent 2 lessons on the pre-release to work out what parts can come up from the spec related to the extracts. Our teacher also worked very hard over the Easter holidays to type out and answer any possible questions which could come up in the exam so i just basically have to learn all the information she's given the class.

Wow sounds like you have a nice teacher, our teacher is crap.

I've basically finished the spec now, so one month+ for the pre-release seems more than enough time, and you clearly have a dedicated teacher because it looks like i'm going to have to tackle the pre-release on my own and come up with questions myself...my teachers are ****.

so how are we meant to revise for this unit then? I am now genuinely confused. lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay if anyone wants notes on the pre-release just PM me :wink:
Reply 228
It's unlikely though my teacher says the 20 marker is pretty much always on the last extract

Yes, but that's not to say that the exam could twist the question in many different ways.

To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect world trade?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect their long-term growth prospects?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports benefit their development?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect globalisation?
Reply 229
Original post by kingshan16
Wow sounds like you have a nice teacher, our teacher is crap.

She works so hard she teaches so many classes cause she teaches Economics business and a bit of law, she's like a machine haha
I just sent this PM to someone, of my understanding of what's happening in China. What I've typed seems really simplistic compared to explanations I've seen before so could someone confirm that this is right? :smile:

when i say export-led inflation, i didnt mean a rise in the price of exports, but high growth due to high exports, resulting in high AD increase, increasing inflationary pressure (demand-pull inlfation), could this be a cause of inflation?

also, it goes on about the importance of re-balancing the chinese economy away from exports towards domestic consumption, but why is this important to China?!? Why can't it continue down this path, and keep on having current account surpluses?

Alright I had the same understand as you a couple of weeks ago because this is incredibly complicated. Here's why China isn't experiencing export-led inflation:

1) In a normal (floating) exchange rate system, Chinese sellers wouldn't accept dollars (or pounds) because they wouldn't be able to buy anything from their own country with these foreign currencies. The buyer would probably purchase some Yuan on the foreign exchange market to trade with the seller. There would be more money in China's economy and this is export-led inflation.

2) The interventionist Chinese government don't want this. They want to be able to keep on exporting without experiencing inflation (which stop foreigners from buying from them.)

3) The Chinese central buy dollars with the extra Yuan that has come into their economy from the trade before. So inflation doesn't occur.

As for your second question -- firstly a massive surplus isn't a good thing. It leads to income inequality and growth for the sake of growth like a cancer cell. The growth will eventually be unsustainable in the short run (There won't be any more labour to employ, Land to be bought or and capital will have reached productive capacity) and this will cause a collapse and recession because foreign direct investors realise what's happened and move away and people see investors moving away so they stop buying buying shares in Chinese companies and buying Chiense exports (this is called hysteresis) and it leads to a massive contraction in the business cycle, which could potentially mean civil war for China.

Why focus on domestic consumption? The Chinese mentality is that saving is better than buying -- compared to the UK, they put a lot more of their money in banks than they do buy things. Apart from the very rich with Western mentalities, people aren't benefiting from this growth and the gap between the rich and the poor is increasing, which in itself could lead to revolution.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 231
I've basically finished the spec now, so one month+ for the pre-release seems more than enough time, and you clearly have a dedicated teacher because it looks like i'm going to have to tackle the pre-release on my own and come up with questions myself...my teachers are ****.

so how are we meant to revise for this unit then? I am now genuinely confused. lol.

Tbh if i didn't have a decent teacher i wouldn't have a clue where to start and we're mainly working off the notes that our teacher did but if you have the tutor2you notes they should help
Reply 232
Original post by Groat
Yes, but that's not to say that the exam could twist the question in many different ways.

To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect world trade?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect their long-term growth prospects?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports benefit their development?
To what extent would a quota on China's exports affect globalisation?

True but why the obsession with quotas haha
Reply 233

Here's why China isn't experiencing export-led growth:

What? Surely China does have export led growth because their main sources of growth is from exports and investment?!? That's why China has a big current account surplus and why there economy is imbalanced... Most of the demand and growth isn't coming from their own economy because the Chinese are big savers and they don't import much. :confused:
Reply 234
True but why the obsession with quotas haha

I'm just proving the point that the question could cover the specification quite easily on one topic.
What? Surely China does have export led growth because their main sources of growth is from exports and investment?!? That's why China has a big current account surplus and why there economy is imbalanced... Most of the demand and growth isn't coming from their own economy because the Chinese are big savers and they don't import much. :confused:

I meant export-led inflation, sorry for the confusion!
Original post by Groat
I'm just proving the point that the question could cover the specification quite easily on one topic.

Quotas aren't a massive topic in themselves. You've essentially got 4 questions there from extracts 3 and 4 and even if the question went along the lines of

To what extent would a tariff on China's exports affect world trade?

The answer would be pretty much the same because tariffs are still protectionist measures.
Reply 237
I meant export-led inflation, sorry for the confusion!

Oh that makes much more sense! haha :smile:
Reply 238
Original post by Groat

Trueee
Reply 239
Quotas aren't a massive topic in themselves. You've essentially got 4 questions there from extracts 3 and 4 and even if the question went along the lines of

To what extent would a tariff on China's exports affect world trade?

The answer would be pretty much the same because tariffs are still protectionist measures.

But surely because it's not a massive topic than it's less likely to come up as a 20 marker although then again you probably could write a 20 minute answer on it haha But still spending about 40 mins on a essay just to do with tariffs or quotas seems ridicules!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending