Turn on thread page Beta

Mercedes A140 watch

ReputationRep:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...003-47,GGLD:en

http://www.ichthuscarsales.com/aclass.jpg

It's a 1.4 automatic :p: i quite liked it and my dad seemed happy too :eek:
    It's a T reg, priced at £4500 (and insurance at £900 @ Churchill)
    My friend seemed really against it? said its rubbish etc but i was quite fond of it... so i thought i'd ask for :tsr2: 's invaluble knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Nasty handling and build quality, but it looks alright and the mileage is low

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my mum is keen since its an automatic :p:
    and that link was just to the pic - not actually that one.. so mileage is probably higher

ReputationRep:
    £900 aint bad for a merc :eek: How old are you? How long you had your licence / any no claims?

ReputationRep:
    £4.5k for a T is a bit much since its only an A140 Class . Being auto might only add £300-500 on its value so I would check out milage, service history and condition well before even considering it.

mileage is low
    how did you know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    £900 aint bad for a merc :eek: How old are you? How long you had your licence / any no claims?
    had license for.. 6 days?
    but this is me as a 2nd driver and insured under my dad..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    had license for.. 6 days?
    but this is me as a 2nd driver and insured under my dad..
    That would be why then :p:

ReputationRep:
    how did you know that?
    I thought it was the car that she linked to

ReputationRep:
    if i were you i would definately go for a manual car, unless you are specifically looking for an auto. Having an auto with that small engine means it will be incredibly slow, and the auto will consume more fuel than a manual.

Also be aware that Daimler-Benz went through big cost cutting phases in this era, so the reliablilty was quite poor with early A-classes, check for a full main dealer service history.

Also i wouldnt go hammering it round roundabouts, as the A class was one of the most unstable cars on the road. When a german car magazine tested it through a slalom, it had dangerously poor handling and nearly toppled over, think they might have had a recall though. The early ones (i.e. 1999 ones) were the worst.

On the plus side they are comfortable, roomy, smooth, and easy to drive (and park)

ReputationRep:
    IM NOT A SHE
    I think i'll look around for other cars, from the sounds of things, its not the best for a beginner...

ReputationRep:
    Since my firm sold my A190 LWB on 50k with 10k's worth of extras for £7,000, I'd say that was piss poor.

They're not bad cars, but if the A190 had been any less underpowered, I would have wondered how the A class actually managed to move.
    I would personally advise against a 1.4 and try something a little higher for not much more money.

ReputationRep:
    you should go for a seat arosa sport (1.4 16v 100bhp) looks pretty decent and there not bad priced for the power you get, here are a couple of examples -

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16597

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17128

and through direct line i got quoted 800-900 under my dad (with direct line u still get a no claims bonus)

ReputationRep:
    my recommendation; get a 1.6 focus. fantastic cars to drive, look good, very comfortable, bullet proof, pretty fast and best of all very cheap insurance, only group 5/6.

Value wise they are really good, so you would find a good facelift model (51/02 maybe newer) for about £4500

Or if you are looking for even cheaper (insurance) thrills, go for a 1.8 XS (16v) 306. Nippy cars, great handling and £3000 - £3500 will get you a mint 99-2000 one

ReputationRep:
    Yea insurance is a pain in the @$$
    been looking at a VW Polo 1.2 now its quite nice..
    £5000, 3 doors, metallic red, 55BHP only 16,500 miles with one previous driver (some nice old woman) and insurance is £840 with direct line (and i get to build up my own no claims)

ReputationRep:
    55BHP sounds pretty underpowered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Dragon)
    t had dangerously poor handling and nearly toppled over, think they might have had a recall though.
    it did topple over i think when a journalist was driving it at around 30ish

ReputationRep:
    Look, if your going to buy second hand, buy Japanese, they're reliable, easy to drive, cheap to buy and maintain and economical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    55BHP sounds pretty underpowered
    55BHP is pisspoor for a 1.2 - my Corsa 1.0 is 65BHP.

£5000 seems very expensive for a second hand Polo as well - despite the low mileage. Would be interesting to find out how old that is?

ReputationRep:
    I just found my parents a black '00 VW Golf TDi, auto, air-con, 50,000miles with a 3 year warranty, electirc everything and heated seats for £5,000. That wasn't even at an auction. There are still lots of good deals out there. Probably better than this.

The Polo must be like, 2003 or newer, at that price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    55BHP is pisspoor for a 1.2 - my Corsa 1.0 is 65BHP.

£5000 seems very expensive for a second hand Polo as well - despite the low mileage. Would be interesting to find out how old that is?
    you should go for a seat arosa sport (1.4 16v 100bhp), £4000-5000 for a decent model and you can get insured for about £800 with direct line see pictures in above post!!

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.