The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jr2007
I think saying its an illness is a bit extreme but its more to do with lack of education and understanding - after all, the basis of racism is ignorance.

Its more of an indication of a low IQ or of a jealous person because someone a little different to them is performing better in life. That isnt to say everyone with low IQs or who are jealous are racists but that racism could be an indicator.

What gives you the idea that racism is confined to those with a 'lack of education'?
Reply 21
Beekeeper
If the defintion of 'racism' continues to be used at unprecedented levels and consumes hundreds of different meanings and uses then it's probably not a good idea, no.

Hell, i'm a libertarian and i've been called 'racist' before for criticising Islam, it's absurd.

Indeed. How people can accuse others of racism when they're criticising a religion is beyond me.

I think some people need to get their definitions sorted out.
Reply 22
No; mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain.

Racism is caused by harmful social conditioning.
junglemonkey
LOL, no. It shouldn't.

Most DEFINITELY not

Negative personality traits aren't mental illness and it worries me that you could consider racism as a mental illness. When you are racist, you should suffer the goddamn consequences of your actions not go hiding behind a label.

I'm sorry but, mentally ill people are ILL, not bad people who commit bad deeds. The stigma is bad enough (though not well known or publicised) as it is.

I agree with you. I have 2 mental illnesses (lucky me...) I suffer from OCD and depression and I can't help what I do due to my OCD, whereas I personally believe that racists can help what they say and do.

I think the chnge in society has something to do with racism. My grandparents, for example, think it's perfectly reasonable to call a black person a 'darkie' just because it was acceptable when they were young. This can then be carried down in the generations (although I'm not a racist).

I also think that films and the media have a part to play as well.
zooropa
I'm not racist at all.

You are too some extent. It is written in our genome. We feel differently about people that are different to us. We can't help it. It is our rational thought however that lets us suppress these primieval instincts. But you cannot get escape them. There must have been a selective advantage in it.
Reply 25
BellaCat
Indeed. How people can accuse others of racism when they're criticising a religion is beyond me.

I think some people need to get their definitions sorted out.

The problem is that there is no longer a requirement for "racism" to have a precise meaning. It is quite clear that the word is now used to silence, intimidate, and stigmatize those who oppose any aspect of the political consensus on racial and cultural issues. 'You don't think mass immigration is a good idea? Racist!' 'You feel concerned about the growth of Islam in Britain? Racist! Islamophobe too!' 'You think that multiculturalism is a bad idea? Racist!'

It has basically reached the stage where people who refuse to accept that becoming a minority in their own country is desirable are considered to be "racist".

The fact that some people are pushing for racism to be considered a mental illness does not surprise me. There is no better way to silence people and discredit their ideas than by labelling them "mentally ill".
Reply 26
BellaCat
What gives you the idea that racism is confined to those with a 'lack of education'?

An educated person would be able to see beyond 'racial' aspects of another person - those who are ignorant due to lack of education in this case would not be educated.
Reply 27
jr2007
An educated person would be able to see beyond 'racial' aspects of another person - those who are ignorant due to lack of education in this case would not be educated.

Aren't some 'racists' some of the most educated people in the world? I've seen the anthropology books and had discussions with people who know more about it than I; I can tell you, they are certainly not 'uneducated'.

I think that because you don't understand the reasons behind racism you simply label all racists as stupid, unevolved or uneducated. Not only is this not true, but isn't that just what racists label other races, and so in calling them those things you've just lowered yourself to their level? well done. :rolleyes:
jr2007

That really is over-simplistic, rose-tinted, horse manure. Nick Griffin is "educated", he studied law at Cambridge, yet most people would consider him racist. There are many other examples.
Reply 29
Zakaz
Aren't some 'racists' some of the most educated people in the world? I've seen the anthropology books and had discussions with people who know more about it than I; I can tell you, they are certainly not 'uneducated'.

I think that because you don't understand the reasons behind racism you simply label all racists as stupid, unevolved or uneducated. Not only is this not true, but isn't that just what racists label other races, and so in calling them those things you've just lowered yourself to their level? well done. :rolleyes:

Racists are just stupid people who simply blame ethnic minority groups for everything for example the BNP is def a racist party since 99% of its policies have something to do with ethnics. You mate are the most vile racist pig ive met:eek:
You 'ma chorda':wink:
Greyhound02
That really is over-simplistic, rose-tinted, horse manure. Nick Griffin is "educated", he studied law at Cambridge, yet most people would consider him racist. There are many other examples.

Educated in law. Although most racists could do with a better understanding of the highly complex subject of genetics, as that is the one most likely to remove the logical basis for much of their generalized prejudice.
Reply 31
I read an article once saying that people who are racist in some way (determined by an objective questionaire) are about twice as likely to be mentally ill
Reply 32
Akhoza
Racists are just stupid people who simply blame ethnic minority groups for everything for example the BNP is def a racist party since 99% of its policies have something to do with ethnics. You mate are the most vile racist pig ive met:eek:
You 'ma chorda':wink:

I think you'll find that most 'racists' don't blame everything on ethnic minorities. Rather, most realise who the real problem is - the spineless white politicians who have sold our country down the river and are actively encouraging anti-white racism. Of course ethnic minorities are going to come here (look at all the benefits they get) and I can't blame them for that - it's human nature to leech off something - however, I realise that it's who allows them to come here which is the real problem, and in order to get the country I want there is only one solution; to succeed in politics.

I think maybe you need to have a read of the BNP's policies; very few are actually related to ethnics/races:
http://www.bnp.org.uk/candidates2005/man_menu.htm

How am I "the most vile racist pig" you've met?
Reply 33
aaronc2
I read an article once saying that people who are racist in some way (determined by an objective questionaire) are about twice as likely to be mentally ill

Correction: "To be diagnosed as being..."

The difference is massive.
No it's not. Psychiatrists don't ask questions regarding peoples racial beliefs when making a diagnosis.
Reply 35
Zakaz

How am I "the most vile racist pig" you've met?

:dito: I find you vile, and racist, and a pig. But not the most... Oink and Flux are probably worse

No it's not. Psychiatrists don't ask questions regarding peoples racial beliefs when making a diagnosis.

:dito: correct
Reply 36
aaronc2
:dito: I find you vile, and racist, and a pig. But not the most... Oink and Flux are probably worse

:beer:

Yet neither Flux nor Oink are fascists to the best of my knowledge, how ironic.

naivesincerity

How very naive of you to think that a shrink wouldn't be able to tell a person's racial beliefs whilst talking to them. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Zakaz
But someone feeling 'in the dumps' may not necessarily be depressed (as in the psychiatric condition), merely upset. The difference is just the shrink's opinion.

No, depression is more than feeling down in the dumps. It's a prolonged state of unhappiness.

Ok, so take my example - would that be 'healthy' or not?

I don't care.

You are too some extent. It is written in our genome.

Prove it, since the human genome hasn't been fully uncovered.:rolleyes:
Reply 38
Zakaz
Of course ethnic minorities are going to come here (look at all the benefits they get) and I can't blame them for that - it's human nature to leech off something - however, I realise that it's who allows them to come here which is the real problem, and in order to get the country I want there is only one solution; to succeed in politics.
It's a well known fact that immigrants, and therefore ethnic minorities, contribute much more on average to the economy than the average british person; which is why the government is actively encouraging immigration of skilled people. Yes, some immigrants leech the system but the real leeches are the 'british' people, black or white, that sit at home and collect incapacity and other benefits.
maybe, but I also think blind, unquestioning political correctness is also a mental illness.

Latest

Trending

Trending