The Student Room Group

Help with this gcse maths question?

Got given a booklet to do for revision for resit.

The question is:

1. One night at a school concert the audience is made up as follows:
1/4 are men, 3/5 are women and the rest are children.
(a) (i) What percentage of the audience are children?

(ii) what fraction of the audience are children?

for b: the next night the audience is made up in the following ratio:
men : women : children = 2:4:3 There are 270 in the audience calculate the number of men. I got it to 9 parts and did 270 divided by 9 = 30 so its 60:120:90 which equals 270

By all means I'm not asking you to just work it out for me because I'm not lazy and getting someone to do my work isn't going to help me pass my resit. I'm just wondering if any of you geniuses (or anyone that passes maths) can explain to me how I work out the first 2 and maybe give me an answer so I can see how to work it out? I will positive rep everyone that helps me out.

I'm usually great at percentages but not so good at fractions. I think the wording is kind of tripping me up here :frown:
Reply 1
I'm not going to give you an answer, but I think messing around with ratios will confuse you. Try converting the two fractions you have so they have the same denominator, then go from there.
Reply 2
Well, for the first one, you need to find what fraction AREN'T children (so men + woman). Then from that you should be able to figure out what fraction are children

So you need to add 1/4 and 3/5 together. This is the number of Women + Men as a fraction. Then subtract it from 1 to find the children
Reply 3
1ai)
1-(1/4 + 3/5) = ..
And then convert whatever that comes up with into a percentage

1aii) It's just the first part, but before you converted into a percentage, ie 1-(1/4+3/5)= answer to 1aii

1b) For some reason I can't see the number between 2 and 3 in the ratio but, yeah you add all the parts up, then divide 270 by it. Then, you times it by two. :smile:
Original post by iJess
Got given a booklet to do for revision for resit.

The question is:

1. One night at a school concert the audience is made up as follows:
1/4 are men, 3/5 are women and the rest are children.
(a) (i) What percentage of the audience are children?

(ii) what fraction of the audience are children?

for b: the next night the audience is made up in the following ratio:
men : women : children = 2:4:3 There are 270 in the audience calculate the number of men. I got it to 9 parts and did 270 divided by 9 = 30 so its 60:120:90 which equals 270

By all means I'm not asking you to just work it out for me because I'm not lazy and getting someone to do my work isn't going to help me pass my resit. I'm just wondering if any of you geniuses (or anyone that passes maths) can explain to me how I work out the first 2 and maybe give me an answer so I can see how to work it out? I will positive rep everyone that helps me out.

I'm usually great at percentages but not so good at fractions. I think the wording is kind of tripping me up here :frown:

a) Okay, so presumably you know that 1/4= 25% and 3/5 = 60%, because that's basic.
Add those together and subtract from 100% to get the % children.

ii) You want to make each denominator ('bottom half') the same by multiplying up to a common denominator (hint, it's 20, and remember to multiply the top half by whatever you multiply the bottom half by!) Whatever's 'left' as free space is your answer. Alternatively, when you know the percentage, just put it as percentage/100 and scale down.

b) is correct - 9 parts etcetc
Reply 5
Oh my god, right under my nose, this is so simple yet I just read a question and sometimes if it's worded difficult for me I can't make it out, thank you everyone. Repped you all :smile:
Y do u need to subtract 1from the result of men and women put together?
Fractionally 1 is equal to a whole ie, 1/1. The fractions for each group need to add up to this.

Quick Reply

Latest