The Student Room Group

TSR Top Gear Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Stig
The show, in terms of ratings and viewing figures is doing better than it has ever done before. It has an audience of 300m globally. Since it turned it's focus from a motoring show to an entertainment show involving cars it's thriving.

I agree somewhat, Hammond particularly tries a bit too hard. Even with the joke it was Hammond who just wouldn't stop and took it a step too far.

Oh yes Hammond was pushing that joke way too much but in general, the tone of the show in trying to be offensive and controversial just doesn't sit with me. I'm all for them being dicks, it's entertaining and it's exactly what we like about Clarkson (he IS the joke most of the time and he doesn't know it, which is funny), but there is a serious undertone that I don't like-- it's not like how Clarkson takes the piss out of women drivers, that was always tongue in cheek. James May is the most likeable.

Oh well I'm sure I'll watch the show now and then but I've gone off it. I thought I was the only one but several of my mates have given up watching it religiously too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hammond is by far the weak link on the show. Everything about him irritates me now :o: He used to be pleasant and down to earth, even more so than May. But over the last couple of years he's become incredibly fake, like he's acting every line. And please take off that ****ing necklace. You're 41 ffs, not on a gap year in Australia :facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Student2806
Hammond is by far the weak link on the show. Everything about him irritates me now :o: He used to be pleasant and down to earth, even more so than May. But over the last couple of years he's become incredibly fake, like he's acting every line. And please take off that ****ing necklace. You're 41 ffs, not on a gap year in Australia :facepalm2:

:rofl:

haha it was hilarious when Jonathan Ross brought it up... I was like FINALLY someone decided to comment on it. It's like he realises he's getting old so he's doing all he can to remain 'hip' and 'cool'.
Has anyone noticed how little they drive on public roads when they do car tests anymore? It's always around the track. In the older episodes even the single reviews were done on roads which made it a lot more interesting. Not only the cars but the camera work was great aswell. Even the challenges were done on public roads.

More recently everything is done on the track. Even the BMW challenge last week, which isn't normal as those types of challenges are always on the roads. It can't be due to insurance reasons as their budget must be bigger than ever before? I hope this isn't permanent.
Original post by MHorman
Balls, missed the start...

Will catch it on iplayer later...

Stiggy, put the reminder up at like 10 to 8 next week and i'll get it in time...

Just flicked onto it but i missed the first few minutes of them buying their cars so i'll watch the whole thing later...

EARLY REMINDER

:tongue:
Original post by The Stig
EARLY REMINDER

:tongue:

TY. Tried to rep but wouldn't let me...

Turned it in 15 mins ago and have been watching the end of the Graham Hill show. Tis very good...
Original post by MHorman
TY. Tried to rep but wouldn't let me...

Turned it in 15 mins ago and have been watching the end of the Graham Hill show. Tis very good...

It's cool :yy: - can't wait see the RS5 review. I love those!
:coma: She really is the ultimate woman.
She's naked a lot in "the informers"??

That's not already downloading on my pc.... Honest....

And she drives a 68 Mustang? DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
"He's a communist" - cracked me up.
Reply 1730
Original post by Student2806
:coma: She really is the ultimate woman.

Shame she's a slow driver. Typical woman.
Original post by Roobsa
Shame she's a slow driver. Typical woman.

A big let down :frown: I thought she was going to be the fastest before she did it...
:sogood:
What an amazing episode, that rivals the one when they drove across America.
Utter drivel !
Amber Heard carried it tbph. The BMW/Audi test was completely pointless and the snow plough piece was even more staged than we've come to expect. "Accidentally" setting a man on fire? :sigh:
The first three episodes were brilliant. The previous one had potential be great but was a bit 'meh', and this one was just bizzare. For the reasons mentioned above. It was all a bit pointless, like they'd completely forgotten to plan for it so the two segments and the star took over the whole show.
Reply 1737
Watching it on I-player. Anyone notice Hammond hasn't got that necklace ?
Original post by anarone
Watching it on I-player. Anyone notice Hammond hasn't got that necklace ?

Maybe he realised after Jonathan Ross took the piss out of it that it's not cool :tongue:
Last episode was the first Top Gear episode ever that I didn't quite like (which is a big deal coming from me, I'm a huge Top Gear fan). This week's is now the second that I haven't liked, I hope this isn't the start of my declining interest in this great show :erm:

Amber Heard is one hot girl :yep: ...but completely overshadowed by the sound of the Audi when it changes gear :sogood: oh my :sogood: That was orgasmic! Damn that was an awesome sound.

This series has had quite a few of those orgasmic moments actually, when they showed the Ferrari 288 GTO's exhaust throwing out flames in slow motion :sogood:

Quick Reply

Latest