TSR Top Gear Society Watch

S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oldham_fran)
I'm suprised there's no poll in this thread as to who everyones favourite presenter is...
Cliché tbh
Xenomorph v2.1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got to say the music being used on Top Gear this series is fantastic, particularly in last episode.

That 6k Merc was a bargain! :eek: Such a good car. Just comes to show that a top spec Merc that's 9 years old still features much of the modern stuff that doesn't even come as standard on most family cars.

I LOL'd when Clarkson and Hamster were talking on their in-car phones haha like two kids getting excited!
TheBritishBloke
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xenomorph v2.1)
I've got to say the music being used on Top Gear this series is fantastic, particularly in last episode.
A lot of it has been from the Tron: Legacy Soundtrack. Funnily enough it's one of my all-time favourite films, I think the music's an ace combination between techno and actual instruments.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Making working trains out of caravans
Rowan Atkinson
Nissan GT-R

:coma:
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
Making working trains out of caravans
Rowan Atkinson
Nissan GT-R

:coma:
I hope it really is as good as it looks.
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The XKR-S - the "Most powerful road car Jaguar has ever made"

XJ220? :p:
AlexInWonderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He thinks Harper Seven is a convicted terrorist cell
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How on EARTH was that a
Spoiler:
Show
1:42.2
? :eek:
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
How on EARTH was that a
Spoiler:
Show
1:42.2
? :eek:
I don't know, it looked slower than usual, but then again it was a very tidy lap so that may have been why. And as much as I'm enjoying this train challenge, the caravan setting fire (which they seem to do everytime they feature caravans) and the train crashing into 'scum class' was far too predictable:rolleyes:

I miss the old days where not everything was planned and scripted.
AlexInWonderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Olie)
I don't know, it looked slower than usual, but then again it was a very tidy lap so that may have been why. And as much as I'm enjoying this train challenge, the caravan setting fire (which they seem to do everytime they feature caravans) and the train crashing into 'scum class' was far too predictable:rolleyes:

I miss the old days where not everything was planned and scripted.
I miss when they reviewed normal cars, properly, even only once or twice a series.

Scum class was hillarious
Xenomorph v2.1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The real reason why Rowan Atkinson set the fastest lap was because he actually did it in this:

Seating position helped weight distribution, rear spoiler aided traction and grip.

That Nissan GT-R was just amazing. I know that's the new one, but now you can get yourself a 2009 GT-R for as little as £40k. Don't know how such supercar level performance is so cheap (relatively speaking ofc)

Imagine pulling up at the lights in that next to a guy in a Ferrari or Lambo and they rev the engine initiating a street drag and you just smoke 'em :sogood:

Does anybody know how the old Nissan Skyline was received at its time? I was too young to understand it, so I don't know how it compared to supercars of that time? Was it of similar relative performance as the GT-R is of today's supercars?

Because if it was, then will this one also just end up becoming a cheap street car that people kit out and soon forget in a decade?
Tenbinza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know they always fix stuff so that Jeremy wins, but was it really necessary with that train thing? Would it really have mattered who won as long as some caravans got destroyed at the end?
The Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The train segment was dragged out. The stuff falling, things breaking and eventually blowing up was far too predictable. This type of stuff was fine when the series' where twice as long. Now that there are only six episodes I expect better.

Apart from that, it was a great episode. The guests have been great this season too.
Xenomorph v2.1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh I enjoy feature like the one on buying the Merc and BMW cars cheaper than that Nissan more than anything else. That's classic Top Gear.

We need more "buy supercars for less than £xxxx" challenges. Cross continental races. Maybe take a car to an old English village, talk about the car's history and heritage, talk about the sentimental values of the car and review it in that manner.

I think Top Gear are forgetting that the reason we fell in love with this show in the first place was because of all those things. Now they've changed it so much for entertainment purposes.

Also I kind of feel insulted when they try to pass off stuff as an accident to the viewers when it's clearly scripted. The man set on fire by 'accident' in Norway.

The hot hatch challenge in Italy - Jezza just happened to be passing an old swampy river where he saw an abandoned bicycle in the water which just happened to be one of the items on the list.

I'm afraid this is what happens when a show becomes super popular and watched by the masses. The petrol head car stuff wouldn't really interest the masses.

Still love this show though imo the best of British television.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The last episode was the first time I've properly laughed out loud at Top Gear for quite a few seasons, if they're going to do fun episodes then they should be more like that.
TheBritishBloke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely agree, I love the cheap but classic car challenges.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great episode. Rowan Atkinson is a remarkable man.
The train challenge was good, but as others have said it was cliched, predictable and very blatantly staged. The fire gag was old many series ago and I just thought :rolleyes:
Scarface-Don
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some say...
TheBritishBloke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
Great episode. Rowan Atkinson is a remarkable man.
The train challenge was good, but as others have said it was cliched, predictable and very blatantly staged. The fire gag was old many series ago and I just thought :rolleyes:
Petrol Pump.
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed it was a really good episode and I always have had a thing for the GT-R
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads