Turn on thread page Beta

RAF Training Officer - info wanted! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, i'm new to this site after hearing about it from another forum as being quite helpful.
    Basically, i've applied to join the RAF and my first choice is Training Officer followed by Provost. Can anyone give me any info on what a training offr does, whether they serve a lot overseas on tours or are they just UK based in the training camps.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    How many other jobs would you apply for not knowing what the job entails?? Surely this is a prerequisite for any sensible application?

ReputationRep:
    They ask you at the filter interview, and also at OASC what the training is for each job you apply for, so I'd assume that if you know the training, you'd know what the job involves when you finish that training.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I'm sure you can find better info if you look up the formal sources, but in the mean time, from the perspective of someone who just saw TrgOs as fellow officers:

Firstly I think you have to have a degree in Education/PGCE of some sort, never met a TrgO who didn't.

There are few roles overseas, indeed I was aware of some criticism of the branch about 2 years ago because they had no obvious deployment role, and the general deal in the RAF was if there wasn't a deployed role, they shouldn't be uniformed posts, so Trg Os were looking at ways of being more useful in wars!! However, they are not all at Training bases in the UK, all Stations will have a TrgO, the larger ones may have 2 or 3. In general the Trg O is the expert, so does things like course design, approval, standardisation etc. The RAF tends to make the people who do, teach, ie aircrew teach aircrew, engineers teach engineers, the TrgO makes sure the courses are comprehensive, have the right resources and all sorts of technical Training stuff like doing training needs analysis of jobs, looking at training gaps etc.

They also have a key role in getting airmen the qualifications they need for promotion and commissioning, and everyone the qualifications that they want, eg ECDL, GCSEs, A levels or whatever.

They also usually oversee the Stn Library and careers centre on a Stn. Probably head up the Commissioning Club - and possibly many other things I never noticed them doing. Always very useful when I went to see them on Stn. I saw a few working at HQ level, can't think of a duller job, but then I'm not trained to be a training officer, so I wouldn't know, would I!

Basically if you have a passion for offering educational and training opportunities to adults in a military context, it's the job for you, otherwise Provost is a million times more interesting!

ReputationRep:
    And provost is considered by many (not me) to not be that interesting. Funny that there should be a problem about them being uniformed - surely it's easier - and cheeper - to build courses with classified content if it's done by uniformed staff?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Not much of our stuff has classified content. Besides which, civvies can be cleared to deal with classified information believe it or not! They would be civil servants and covered by the official secrets act.

The thing about TrgOs being uniformed wasn't directed at them specifically. The redundancies that we have seen over the past few years are based on the new (and in most peoples opinion, very dubious) assumption that if a job has no role in an overseas deployment then it has no role in uniform and should be civilianised. This is a very simplistic view of the role of the Armed Forces and is destroying cohesion etc, but never the less, when you look at the role of a Trg O, it is hard to see what niche role they would play in a deployed Op. OK, a few guys might need to keep up with OU exams etc, but in general the work pressures involved in Ops means that extras like additional education have to be dropped. And if there is a case for sitting exams in the desert etc, then a non TrgO can invigilate etc just as well as a trained Trainer. If you think about it, when deployed on Ops, the hope would be that we are all fully trained, almost by definition the TrgOs job should be completed at home, so ..........

ReputationRep:
    Fair play.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Gooch and i have been offered an SSC as a TrgO.
    The basic function of the job is to oversee the training on the station. You are a consultant rather than a teacher. As was said earlier engineer teaches engineer, you oversee the curriculum. Later on you can move up the ladder to design more of the courses.
    My background is in education, i have been a secondary school teacher for 12 years. Furthermore like what was stated before, i have not met a TrgO that wasn't a teacher. I know 2 locally and met one at OASC, all ex-teachers! Not excluding non teachers but????
    As for the future,i asked for a PC but have been offered an SSC becasue of the uncertainty of the branch, again this was explained earlier in the topics.
    In a few years time i will look at the future of the branch and look to see if i can extend.

To know more about TrgO, go to your careers and they will give you all the info that you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raptor)
    How many other jobs would you apply for not knowing what the job entails?? Surely this is a prerequisite for any sensible application?
    :dito: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone actually consider that Raptor does actually know what the job entails but was looking for further insight???

I know fine well that when I filled out my initial application, I understood the basic principals of the branches I was interested but certainly didn't have a full knowledge (i still don't, how can I - i don't actually do the job yet!!).

Also, if this is his initial application, those choices aren't set in stone (your AFCO tells you this repeatedly!), they are inidicative of what you are interested in, not religious.

Just give the guy a break, at least he's researching, thats more than some people do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    'Tis a fair point Lou! I was only messing about, he seems to be getting some pretty good advice too, as always on these boards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Just give the guy a break, at least he's researching, thats more than some people do!!!!
    Some careers just don't need researching.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, would anyone seriously rock up to Barclays and apply and then say "oh, by the way, what do you do....?"

Some people on this forum are too kind for their own good and never seem to tire from dishing out loads of basic info on various branches that any half-interested applicant should have found him/herself. It amazes me that people actually go to AFCOs without an informed view on the branch that they're applying for. If the RAF is to shrink further to 40 000 odd then they need people with initiative....

So come on, pull your finger out all potential applicants:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Raptor I can tell you that vixenvic2 has already been to the AFCO and is doing further research. You're telling her to pull her finger out and do some research, but by coming on here and asking the question she's done exactly that!

I'm the one that suggested she try asking on here, but am regretting it now due to the response she's had!

Sorry vixenvic2, thankfully some nice people have given some advice so I hope you can find something useful.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    This forum is principally a place for indivduals to find off the tin information about the RAF. It was never intended as a chat room for applicants.

vixenvic2 come on here looking for more information and was polite about it, I think it is fair to ask that those who respond to her should use the same curtosey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    This forum is principally a place for indivduals to find off the tin information about the RAF. It was never intended as a chat room for applicants.

vixenvic2 come on here looking for more information and was polite about it, I think it is fair to ask that those who respond to her should use the same curtosey.
    Amen, we don't want TSR turning into a mini MFAT - do we really want a 'retreat' where only a select number of members can go and post? I don't think so.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Raptor)
    Come on, would anyone seriously rock up to Barclays and apply and then say "oh, by the way, what do you do....?"

Some people on this forum are too kind for their own good and never seem to tire from dishing out loads of basic info on various branches that any half-interested applicant should have found him/herself. It amazes me that people actually go to AFCOs without an informed view on the branch that they're applying for. If the RAF is to shrink further to 40 000 odd then they need people with initiative....

So come on, pull your finger out all potential applicants:mad:
    Now come on. From her post she did not indicate whatsoever that she hadn't done ANY research. Who are we to decide if a person has enough inititive to join? She had enough to find here.

I realise that yes, sometimes there are people who come on here who are lacking in more ways than one, but I can't see how a seemingly innocent post can provocate such a reaction from well respected forum members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    So the RAF IS THE Armed Forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui Audet Vincit)
    No, just the wannabes
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Qui Audet Vincit)
    This forum IS PRINCIPALLY (Principally meaning for the most part - chiefly, primarily, mainly, in the main.) RAF based due to the large amounts of threads and information on the RAF. This forum was created by myself for RAF information as at the time there was no one interested in the Navy and Army and it started with two RAF threads.

Now there is more interest in the Army and Navy but mostly this forum is still mostly based around the RAF.

So no, the RAF is not the armed forces, however it dominates this forum which is what I was referring to.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.