Law BA or LLB Watch

Anisha11
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Would anyone know what the difference is between a Law BA degree and a Law LLB degree???

Thankyou!
John Gardner
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No difference. The name of the degree is irrelevant. Both may be (or may fail to be) qualifying law degrees for the purpose of legal practice. You should check each one individually to see if it is.
litispendence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As a rule, LLBs are more likely to be qualifying. But there are plenty of qualifying BAs, so it really isn't important.
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most of the top universities for Law do the LLB. But then you have Oxford which decides to call it a BA instead. No idea why.
DenningAteMyHamster
Report 12 years ago
Because it's jurisprudence not law.
Anisha11
Thanks for the info u all - appreciated :-)
Anisha11
I've noticed that the entry requirements for Law BA seem to be slightly lower than LLB...i wonder y?? Anyone know??
Thanks again!
Dolly
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TommehR)
Most of the top universities for Law do the LLB. But then you have Oxford which decides to call it a BA instead. No idea why.
Cambridge law degree is also a BA. I think Oxbridge have traditionally classed it as an arts subject and awarded a BA.
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anisha11)
I've noticed that the entry requirements for Law BA seem to be slightly lower than LLB...i wonder y?? Anyone know??
Thanks again!
Are you sure? Example?
pezz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dolly)
Cambridge law degree is also a BA. I think Oxbridge have traditionally classed it as an arts subject and awarded a BA.
maybe they think it makes them seem "unique"
DenningAteMyHamster
Report 12 years ago
As I said above, at Oxford you do a BA Jurisprudence, not LLB. This is because you look more into the theory of the law on a jurisprudential level more so than you would do at another university where the law you learn is more practical.
John Gardner
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is true that there is a bit more jurisprudence on the Oxford law degree than on some others. But that is not why the law degree is called a BA. It is called a BA because all Oxford undergraduate degrees (in every subject) are called BAs. Who cares? The name of the degree, as I keep saying, is entirely irrelevant to everything.
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well said John.
Ali-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whats the difference between LLM and BCL??

Is it just the name of the degree.
Phil.Murray
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nothing really, a BCL just shows you went to Oxford and is generally more respected because of the university and the complexity of the course.
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i always thought that LLB's were the qualifying ones and the BA's weren't (except for Oxbridge) so if you took Law BA you would still have to take the CPE or a two-yr LLB course and so i never understood people who took Law BA's becuase it just seemed pointless as they'd have to take a conversion anyway, i didnt realise there were qualifying BA's outside of oxbridge
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?