The Student Room Group

Inns of Court chat

Scroll to see replies

xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by standmyground
I am so glad that I am not the only one who had a truly traumatic experience.

I was ripped to shreds. They did ask me about my previous degree (1st in philosophy), but not much about it to be honest. They asked me quite a few questions about points of law which I just had to say I did not know anything about.

They did not really ask about my work experience, my job or death row experiences. I was really taken aback.

I don't think I'm getting a scholarship either. I learnt that I just don't know enough about law.

Everyone else came out of my interview saying they were dead nice, so I certainly wasn't expecting how they were with me.

The last thing one of the gentleman said to me was that I should be a solicitor.

LMAO I read that and i was like she's been on Death row??!!!:K::K::K::K::K::K::K: but then i understood what you meant!!!!

Oh don't worry they said the same thing to me!!!! They said I should go out and do 5 years in another field and gain confidence and then come back to it!!!!!! who was on your panel??
Hello,
I don't remember their names, but if I saw their names, I'd remember them!

I'm glad that they were like that to be honest, because in the real world, people are going to be challenging and adversarial.

Having said that... I NEED THE SCHOLARSHIP!!!

:P
Reply 23
Pupillage interviews are a lot more taxing than scholarship interviews, although the latter can be used as a practice for the former. If you feel your interview technique let you down, or you felt unprepared - try to learn from it if you are going to continue with the BPTC.
I know it's an age old question, but what do we feel about the award of high value scholarships/exhibitions as an indicator of pupillage success? Is there any correlation whatsoever?
Reply 25
Original post by scavo86
I know it's an age old question, but what do we feel about the award of high value scholarships/exhibitions as an indicator of pupillage success? Is there any correlation whatsoever?

Simply, yes. I know there are others that disagree with me, and people can pull out endless examples of friends/contacts who either made it without scholarship or failed with scholarship.

In my experience, the numbers reflect the trend that those with scholarship are more likely to achieve pupillage. Those assessing for scholarships are experienced, very experienced members of the Bar and they know that a scholarship is an investment into the future of the Bar. There is no sense whatsoever in ploughing substantial amounts of money into somebody who isn't going to make it. That means that a substantial award reflects the promise/likelihood of pupillage that they have seen in you. It by no means allows you to rest on your laurels - never expect to sail through pupillage applications. However, I rather suspect that if you're the type of person who obtains a high value award, you are unlikely to rest on your laurels in any case :wink:
Thanks for the prompt response Kessler...without going into too much detail I was fortunate with my Exhibition award and also in receiving an offer for the BCL. I am not getting any younger though (second degree) and so I am wondering whether I should head off on the BCL when my resources might be better directed towards cracking on with pupillage applications and the BPTC. Talk about $64,000 questions :smile:
Reply 27
The BCL is tremendously helpful for pupillage apps, depending on the type of set you're going to. On others, it's best not to. If you want more details, I'm happy to discuss via PM :smile:
Reply 28
I must say mine was not as bad as some of these stories, but they did make me go in late and so I left earlier than I should have because I was the first of the day and it meant all the others would be backed up if they let it go longer (at least, I assume/hope!)

I was asked about my most recent moot and had to explain the facts and arguments. They interjected with questions every so often. They then asked about whether I had any more mini-pupillages etc and just ran through whether I still intended to go to London etc. All in all it wasn't horrific but I was very taken aback by the fact they did not ask me about mini-pupillages and cases i've seen (some extremely interesting ones) and other experience I have.

Oh well. We shall have to see what becomes of it!
Reply 29
I had an interview for Gray's Inn and am waiting to hear back - has anyone had their offer/rejection letter yet?
Reply 30
Lincoln's Inn scholarship e-mails are out :smile: Good luck!
Reply 31
Rejected
Reply 32
Has anyone received a scholarship? :smile:

Sorry to hear that, radoxhead - are you looking into bank loans now then?
Reply 33
Attempting to revive this thread!

Where have current final/GDL students accepted their BPTC courses? If you haven't done so DON'T FORGET 3RD APRIL!

I am heading off to BPP London! It was my second choice (CoL being my first) but found I liked it better - among other reasons.

Is anyone else going there :biggrin: Any Lincoln-ers?
Reply 34
Good luck to everyone else having a Middle Temple scholarship interview next week. I'm sure 15 mins will go very quickly. Mine is on Thursday. Anyone else?
Cath
Reply 35
Original post by qazwsx11
I had an interview for Gray's Inn and am waiting to hear back - has anyone had their offer/rejection letter yet?

Hiya- I got my letter through on Saturday 24th March (as did two of my friends)- hope it went well for you!
Reply 36
Original post by scavo86

Think I'm going to say the same kinds of things as Kessler here but thought I'd give it a go anyway.

It's both correlated and causal. The scholarship committee are asking themselves 'is this person going to be come a barrister?' so they're likely to give the scholarships to those with the greatest chances of success. If you're able to put a scholarship on your application form then that tells the pupillage committee that a scholarship committee thinks you're good, which is obviously a boost to your application too.

I think every year something like 600 scholarships are awarded and there are around 450 pupillages out there- so not everyone with a scholarship will get a pupillage but it's likely that most who get pupillage will have got a scholarship.
Reply 37
Thanks yes - it went well for me. I am now knee deep in pupillage applications!

Quick question: How much are people tailoring the questionnaire section? I am changing the why this chambers and what areas of law but leaving the rest very similar.
Reply 38
Original post by Cath4467
Good luck to everyone else having a Middle Temple scholarship interview next week. I'm sure 15 mins will go very quickly. Mine is on Thursday. Anyone else?
Cath

Mines Thursday as well, 2.15. You?

Getting nervous now, feel like I should have prepped more!

Sarah
Reply 39
Hope your interviews went well :smile:

Is anyone from Lincoln's Inn heading to BPP to do the BPTC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending