The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, you'll need a proof of posting. If you go to their website you can fill it in online, then print and send it off. Or you can go to a post office and get the form from there.

You'll also need proof of the item's value. If it was over £30 you won't get anything back. And you won't get your postage costs back.
Did you send it by Royal Mail? Because I'm sure they have a policy on items which are lost in the mail... Sorry I can't be of anymore help...
Reply 3
I think first class post is insured upto £30. Im not 100% sure but i think there is some form in post offices for claiming when stuff gets lost.
Reply 4
I'm not so sure about Royal Mail, but I had a nightmare trying to claim compensation for a PC I sent fully insured that got smashed up :mad: The wouldn't send anyone out and the guy who'd bought the pc was getting more and more impatient. Finally, they refused to pay anything saying it was my fault for not packing it properly even though they inspected when it was only my gran (who can't speak English very well) at home and I'd sent a few before exactly the same that had been okay. So yea, good luck trying to get anything (even though they are two separate companies)
Reply 5
I sent a parcel to my boyfriend in America in October last year and it never got to him. I went to the post office, filled in the forms for a lost item ... and heard nothing. In fact, I'd given up on it entirely until yesterday when I received a cheque for £10 as a good-will gesture. So I would say your chances of compensation are pretty slim ... but keep trying, you never know.
Reply 6
For First Class you can claim up to £28. After filling in the form it takes 2-4 weeks for your claim to be authorised/declined. They may also find the item within this time period.
Reply 7
I posted off a postal order to renew something and that went missing. Can sum1 cash that in?.......i dont think u can bcos it had sum1 elses name on it but is it possible?? Does that mean i've lost the money?:redface:
First class compensation limit is 100x first class stamps - i.e. £30.

I've filed about 5 claims and been paid out on all of them.

If the item is worth more than £30, then you can claim for the maximum allowed - i.e. £30 - but they won't pay out anything more than that.

For 'proof' of the item's value - you just tell them what it was, and provide proof that the item is on sale and at what price - e.g. for lost phone stuff, I find the most expensive price and then print out the webpage from the online store, or the page in the carphonewarehouse magazine and send that.

NEVER tell them that the item was sold on eBay or whatever - they will ask for a printout of the auction as proof and will only pay you for the closing bid in the auction - i.e. someone ends up out of pocket for the postage - either you (if you send the buyer a full refund for item+postage) or the buyer (if you just send them a refund for the item) - and if the buyer ends up out of pocket then they'll probably just negatively rate you.

Great huh?
BBGirl
I posted off a postal order to renew something and that went missing. Can sum1 cash that in?.......i dont think u can bcos it had sum1 elses name on it but is it possible?? Does that mean i've lost the money?:redface:

If you 'crossed' it - then no the finder can't cash it, as it has to be paid into a bank account in the name of the person whose name you wrote on the PO.

If you just put their name on it - then anyone could 'sign' the PO in the name of the person that you wrote on it, and just get it cashed at the Post Office.

Because they are serialised - if it's been cashed, then you can find out where (and if into a bank account) by whom - contact Royal Mail and claim for loss of a postal order in transit.
Reply 10
Thanx Kingspharm.:smile:
Reply 11
If you kept the counterfoil of your postal order you can see if it has been cashed, and if not cancel it.
ZigZag
So something has gone missing in the mail - sent it first class about two weeks ago. Does anyone have any experience of the compensation process? What are my chances of getting anything back (the item cost about £25)?

you should only send important things recorded delivery... its probably been nicked by some immigrant and currently his child abroad is making full use of it.
Stick Man
For First Class you can claim up to £28. After filling in the form it takes 2-4 weeks for your claim to be authorised/declined. They may also find the item within this time period.

didnt know u could claim for first class... must be worth a blag every now and again... I'd like to see them prove i didnt post something!
El Scotto

didnt know u could claim for first class... must be worth a blag every now and again... I'd like to see them prove i didnt post something!
I don't think it works if you didn't get a proof of delivery from the post office when sending it.
Reply 15
El Scotto

you should only send important things recorded delivery... its probably been nicked by some immigrant and currently his child abroad is making full use of it.

No. Important things go Special Delivery.

Less important things go Recorded. Recorded is exactly the same system as normal post, but the postman takes a signature on delivery. Special is an entirely different system.
Juno is right: "recorded" isn't nearly as secure as it sounds.
Phone Watchdog
I read the title of this thread and thought..'good luck'..

Royal mail are dicks, and their staff are thieves
Reply 19
little_red_sox
I read the title of this thread and thought..'good luck'..

Royal mail are dicks, and their staff are thieves

They can't be too bad. I didn't have my Live8 tickets nicked, when it had writted on them what it was. They could have nicked them and sold them for a fair old amount!

Latest

Trending

Trending