Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Private Banking Qualifications Watch

ReputationRep:
    My current train of career thought is going into a private bank after I finish university.

Now, I know a private banker and he has CeFA qualification and CeMAP qualification. Would I be at an advantage if I did these qualifications before I applied to graduate programs? It says on the bank I've looked at that they expect you to take it during your 2 years in the program. Do you think they'd look on me favourably if I had done it previously?

Thanks for any info!

Yeah, they would - good luck with doing them...

ReputationRep:
    That sounds sarcastic. Do you think they'll be too hard?

(Original post by Talya)
    That sounds sarcastic. Do you think they'll be too hard?
    It was more: "I swore you were asking a rhetorical question"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    It was more: "I swore you were asking a rhetorical question"
    Huh? I was asking for advice...

Ah, well - I read

Do you think they'd look on me favourably if I had done it previously?
    And thought, "err... well, yeah!"

ReputationRep:
    LOL how on earth are you planning on doing them so early???? Its like saying, can I do my ACA before joining PwC, or like saying can I complete my 1st year uni exams before joining the uni! lol

My advice: concentrate on getting a good degree i.e. 1st/2.1 then join the grad programme. hope that helps!

(Original post by BAEconyr3)
    LOL how on earth are you planning on doing them so early???? Its like saying, can I do my ACA before joining PwC, or like saying can I complete my 1st year uni exams before joining the uni! lol

My advice: concentrate on getting a good degree i.e. 1st/2.1 then join the grad programme. hope that helps!
    While I broadly agree with you, it's best to never underestimate people...

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for trying for my CFA, actually. Was chatting to the FSA, and they said it's usually done as part of their first placement on the grad programme - wonder if I can do it on the internship. If I'm not doing my thesis research (through not doing a thesis) I should have time

ReputationRep:
    I thought I could try over summer. I got an email back form the training company who said I should do a CeMAP first, then a CeFA. Looks expensive, I assume if I was on a grad program, the company would pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    And thought, "err... well, yeah!"
    I thought the companies might think 'well, she doesn't need to be on a grad programme if she's already done that...'

I stupid

ReputationRep:
    what do u need this qualitfication for? do traders or back office people need to do this?

(Original post by john williams)
    what do u need this qualitfication for? do traders or back office people need to do this?
    First of all, you must have a degree (or be getting one that year) or 4 years of work experience.

(sorry Drogue!)

I think it is predominatly for ass man and research.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.