Clearing Questions Watch

PsychNick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey just a few quick Qs about unis and clearing.

1) If a uni gives offers and then some of those given conditional places don't hold the offer made, does that uni then advertise a place in clearing? If so, how come its only a few unis that offer places on particular courses, wouldn't there be more?

2) If I have a conditional offer of e.g. AAB and then on results day I get dramatically lower e.g. CCC and I phone up and they say 'sorry not good enough' what happens to my seat? Do unis give more offers than seats, but then what happens on results day if everyone achieves well?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but this thing is confusing
Malik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nickb123)
Hey just a few quick Qs about unis and clearing.

1) If a uni gives offers and then some of those given conditional places don't hold the offer made, does that uni then advertise a place in clearing? If so, how come its only a few unis that offer places on particular courses, wouldn't there be more?

2) If I have a conditional offer of e.g. AAB and then on results day I get dramatically lower e.g. CCC and I phone up and they say 'sorry not good enough' what happens to my seat? Do unis give more offers than seats, but then what happens on results day if everyone achieves well?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but this thing is confusing
I am by no means clearing expert, but I know for a fact that Unis usually give a lot more offers then actual places avaliable. If everyone gets the grades and decided to come, the uni would be in trouble but I *think* they will be legally binded to take you. In such a case the Uni usally tries to convince a number of people to take a gap year with perhaps a 'bribe' of some sort.
Pure T
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes you are very right there. If you make the grades you defo in. Some unis if you do just miss out give you the option od dont your first year somewhere else and transfering back others say reapply next year. Not sure I understand your questions though.

The offer scheme is just an estimate and hence unis never have the same amount of people each year. If they are well under applicants then they put down for clearing but its unlikey any of top 10 unis will be down for that.

Good luck!
PsychNick
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by europe4spurs)
yes you are very right there. If you make the grades you defo in.
Wish that was true. In Year 12, I began work from January for my AS's, getting AAAB. Wasn't enough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%