Average cost of living in London as a student?

Watch this thread
ddorie
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi!

I'll start university in London in September, and I'm trying to figure out how much it'll cost me (nearly a fortune I know). There are lots of articles about it, but I'd like to know it from the students' point of view.

So how much on average do you spend on groceries, school stuff, entertainment, transportation, rent, etc.? (I'll live in a shared flat with friends and use public transportation to get to school, I really like to go out to have a drink so I'll probably spend more on that.)

I'm also interested in part-time jobs. How likely can I find one and how much can I earn with it on average?

Thanks!
Lizzie246
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I live in London in uni accommodation, and pay £115 per week rent, probably about £30 per week for food, and about £15 per week transport
= £160 per week
= £640 pcm

However, it will be more if you buy clothes/ going out etc.
X_mark_the_spot
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ddorie)
Hi!

I'll start university in London in September, and I'm trying to figure out how much it'll cost me (nearly a fortune I know). There are lots of articles about it, but I'd like to know it from the students' point of view.

So how much on average do you spend on groceries, school stuff, entertainment, transportation, rent, etc.? (I'll live in a shared flat with friends and use public transportation to get to school, I really like to go out to have a drink so I'll probably spend more on that.)

I'm also interested in part-time jobs. How likely can I find one and how much can I earn with it on average?

Thanks!
I used to spend about £100 per week, but I could've lived on less. Maybe £70-80 if I were prudent. Rent will depend on where in London you're living.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lizzie246)
I live in London in uni accommodation, and pay £115 per week rent, probably about £30 per week for food, and about £15 per week transport
= £160 per week
= £640 pcm

That'd be £693.33 pcm, FYI.
Yuppee
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
My son seems to reckon he needs around 150 a week just for food . This seems excessive? He will be in a London uni on campus .

His Accomodation is 115 a week and want 150?a week for food

. I thin 115 accommodation and 80 for food and transport ? Your views please
Hasty
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Yuppee)
My son seems to reckon he needs around 150 a week just for food . This seems excessive? He will be in a London uni on campus .

Did you really have to ask that? Ha! Of course he won't need £150 a week for food, they don't only have Waitrose you know and even then!

Even £80 is a lot. Zone 1 and 2 Oyster card is £20 ish a week. So still £60 every week for food?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Staceyc1990
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Unless he has a massive appetite then i think he might want that extra money for some drink lol
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
The average cost of living doesn't change because your a student, it's still the same for you as it is for everyone else.

£150 a week is doable for food, he'd also need roughly an additional £50 per night he goes out drinking plus lots more money for clothes and chasing women... it's London not Wales, everything is more expensive and rightly so.
Staceyc1990
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
The average cost of living doesn't change because your a student, it's still the same for you as it is for everyone else.

£150 a week is doable for food, he'd also need roughly an additional £50 per night he goes out drinking plus lots more money for clothes and chasing women... it's London not Wales, everything is more expensive and rightly so.
Why would you need 150 a week for food? Unless you were feeding the whole flat!
PotterLaw
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

£150 pw for food???!!! That's too much even for a 4 person family!! Where does he shop?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
PotterLaw
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Seriously, £150 pw for food for ONE person? We do have tesco, lidl, Asda & sainsbury's in London you know...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Staceyc1990)
Why would you need 150 a week for food? Unless you were feeding the whole flat!
A Waitrose weekly shop easily reaches £150pw.
Staceyc1990
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
What's wrong with Tesco and Asda then especially as a student..?

That wasn't me that negged you btw.
PotterLaw
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
For hoe many people? For 1 person I would be able to shop in Waitrose for less than that pw.
If only I could afford to regularly shop in waitrose!
Zyyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
For how many people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1204872
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Perdiccas)
Rent will probably set you back somewhere in the region of £120 per week I expect, but it depends where you live. Food is generally no more expensive here if you shop at one of the big chain supermarkets. Ok, so you don't get the deals that some of your friends might get in other cities, but you can live relatively inexpensively. I'd say something in the region of £30 is sensible.

School stuff is not pricey, though one has to buy the textbooks before term starts, and these can be very expensive. Transportation again depends on how you do it and where you live. Something in the region of £15 - 20 is sensible.

Entertainment can turn into a big money problem. You will find many establishments to be almost prohibitively expensive. You'll either need to budget effectively, or buy your drinks at supermarkets. Other kinds of entertainment/nightlife are going to be more expensive, simply because it is London.

A part-time job would be hard to find I'm afraid. I doubt you will have much success finding anything, but don't be afraid to try it.
This. Especially.
metzgie
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I live in Kingston so part London part Surrey. In halls I pay £120 a week rent and my weekly budget on top of that is £118 and I hardly ever get to the full amount. Be clever with your weekly shop, Iceland are great and now deliver for free! Also drink at the Student Union bar as often as possible £2 doubles here
fizzabangash
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lizzie246)
= £160 per week
= £640 pcm

Hey Lizzie!

I came across you reply here and thought if you could help me. I got enrolled at LSE and I was assigned a hall I am not entirely happy with- it has no kitchen and is quite far away from campus too.

Could you please recommend a nice private student hall? Something that doesn't exceed 150-160 pounds, and not too far from LSE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (55)
34.59%
The paper was reasonable (62)
38.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
16.98%
It was TERRIBLE (15)
9.43%

Watched Threads