Bristol may reject candidates who favour Oxbridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
androidkiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got an offer for Nat Sci at Cambridge(AAA) and an offer for Physics with Continental Studies at Bristol (ABB, which is in fact my joint lowest offer). I think it shows that those who tailor their whole UCAS form to Oxbridge are just desperate - after all, you do get an extra form as mentioned before. I think it's worse actively discriminating against public school students, but then again I think either Durham or Edinburgh will be my second choice. Not too fond of very "inner-city" universities. (Yes, I know Durham and Edinburgh are cities, but different to Bristol)
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ok its rediculous to say that Bristol doesn't take oxbridge rejects. MOst of the students including myslef seem to by rejects. About 90% of people on my course are oxbridge rejects and everyone in my block of my residence is.

Also Bristol is not anti public school. It takes a bigger proportion of private school people than many universities. It has so many allications that it is only natural that good people (from both private and state schools) will be rejected. For example i think for english there were over 1000 applications for about 80 places. Over 500 had predictions of 3A's.
winorloose
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
ok its rediculous to say that Bristol doesn't take oxbridge rejects. MOst of the students including myslef seem to by rejects. About 90% of people on my course are oxbridge rejects and everyone in my block of my residence is.

Also Bristol is not anti public school. It takes a bigger proportion of private school people than many universities. It has so many allications that it is only natural that good people (from both private and state schools) will be rejected. For example i think for english there were over 1000 applications for about 80 places. Over 500 had predictions of 3A's.
The problem with Bristol is that it is both the 'reject' or insurance choice for Oxbridge people, as well as one of the upper choices for those not going to Oxbridge. They sent me a letter saying they had 1500 applicants for fifty odd places....Ouch. Needless to say I got a rejection.
Loki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think it's that ridiculous to assume that Bristol has rejected a lot of people they assume applied to Oxbridge at all. My personal statement wasn't tailored to the Oxford course whatsoever as I had applied for the generic English course anyway.I first thought my friend was being paranoid when he suggested this was the reason why everyone in my school bar one who had applied to Oxford had been rejected from Bristol.The whole idea was confirmed during the interview period in Mansfield when speaking to the other candidates and finding that the majority had been rejected from Bristol.

I think the reason the article(I assume it's an article) gives to justify Bristol's policy is partly an attempt to justify what is an incredibly questionable policy.
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Bristol may reject candidates who favour Oxbridge

Bristol University has admitted that applicants who put it second best to Cambridge face rejection in sought-after subjects.

Application forms no longer identify the other universities to which candidates apply, but Prof Eric Thomas, Bristol's vice chancellor, says that admission tutors can often tell.

Even the strongest candidate in English, history, economics or law, the most over-subscribed departments, may lose the chance of a place by disclosing that their first choice is not Bristol but Oxford or Cambridge.

"We are now seeing significant distortions on Ucas forms," said Prof Thomas. "Some personal statements are entirely focused on the course being applied to at Oxbridge, with scant attention paid to why they are applying to the other universities.

"Why should they offer a place to someone who makes no mention of the special characteristics of their course when they have literally hundreds of applicants who do?"

He warned teachers and parents not to see universities such as Bristol as back-up for Oxbridge applications. "They are places in their own right."
well where are all the oxbridge "rejects" supposed to go then? if every university that is in the russell group starts to do this then oxbridge candidates are pretty screwed. Also how am i supposed 2 tailor by application form to all 6 universities? i mean you can only aim for the lowest common denominator and say why you want to do a course rather than their course. this is ridiculous, if Bristol did PPE i wouldnt be applying there next year.
the whole application process seems random and they're choosing stupider and stupider reasons for not picking people. at least warwick were honest when the wrote: in present circumstances we must admit that we do not have the means to make any real judgement on an individual’s academic worth."
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"Why should they offer a place to someone who makes no mention of the special characteristics of their course when they have literally hundreds of applicants who do?"
Obvious answer seems to be that you should offer them a place because they are good candidates and therefore merit it.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This is related to the topic, so I thought I'd ask it here.
I did work experience in the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge, but do you think it would be a bad idea to mention this in a personal statement because everyone will think I'm applying to Cambridge?
Should I just be very vague and say "a physics lab" or should I own up?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
This is related to the topic, so I thought I'd ask it here.
I did work experience in the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge, but do you think it would be a bad idea to mention this in a personal statement because everyone will think I'm applying to Cambridge?
Should I just be very vague and say "a physics lab" or should I own up?
Presumably you did your work exp there simply because Cambridge is the nearest university to you which is good for Physics? I would name the lab, it doesn't indicate to me that you are particularly applying to Cambridge, and saying "a physics lab" would look worryingly vague to the admissions tutor.
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do people actually mention aspects of the course in their UCAS form? I just talked about how much I loved my subjects - although it must have been blindingly obvious to Durham and Bath, which don't do maths and philosophy, that they weren't my first choice.
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can see what Eric Thomas is getting at.

Bristol has quality in its own right and gets far more applicants than Oxbridge, so that there are plenty of Oxbridge people who are Bristol rejects, but of course nobody's interested in this-there's a weird media obsession with Oxbridge which frankly distorts perceptions and just acts as a block on the system. We should be able to appreciate Oxbridge without having to run down other places that also have quality. But it never seems to work like that - there's this inherent *****iness - it's all about putting people in their place, not about encouraging talent, wherever it may be (you even get talented people at UEL or TVU, plus quite a few mediocrities at elite universities - good teaching and luck can get people a long way)...
khil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my personal statement I didn't even mention why I wanna go to their uni etc. I just talked about how and why I like the subject, work experience, career and a hobby section. Do I have to talk about the uni aspect?

Btw, should I bother applying for Bristol then? Cus if I get the right grades for AS this year there's no doubt that I'll be applying for Cambridge. But then I'm applying for two different courses - I have to cus I wanna go for medicine.(By the way, are everyone who comes on this msg board geniuses? They all seem to be heading for Oxbridge or Medicine or have graduated from one of these institutions/course!!! Or otherwise expecting triple A or summit at A2! Am I just the dumpest person on the planet? ((Or maybe you guys are just hard-working alongside talent and intellect??)))

Good luck to me I guess oh well I got pharmacology as my back up :cool: and if I really screw everything up I always have Art to fall back on! which would be a blessing in itself, really..... which raises the question why am I not applying for art???????
raagyone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
In my personal statement I didn't even mention why I wanna go to their uni etc. I just talked about how and why I like the subject, work experience, career and a hobby section. Do I have to talk about the uni aspect?
You can only really mention why you like the subject etc because you cannot talk about 6 different universities in one personal statement. In my experience they ask you about why you like the city in interview.
Also, if you did that, each university you apply to would know what other unversities you have applied to (which they do not get to know from looking at your UCAS form).
I remember in a few interviews the interviewer asked me what other universities I applied to, they're not supposed to do that are they? Did anyone else have this happen to them?
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't actually understand how someone can create a personal statement solely geared towards the Oxbridge course they have applied for, especially when they have the form on the box and an interview to bring this across! The personal statement shouldnt make any references to specific features of a degree course at a particular uni, unless you're only applying to one.

I think the solution to the whole problem is removing Oxbridge from UCAS, like Organ Scholars have to do [so they can apply to both] and let everyone submit their UCAS form for the same deadline, regardless of institution [but keeping the subject restrictions in place].

I'm really worried though as Bristol is my second choice. I do get infuriated though at some of the views spread about Bristol's selection policies; at my school [a state 11-18] two people were rejected from Bristol with AAAA predictions, one had 10a* and 2a grades at GCSE and the other 7a* and 4a grades. And they both had loads of extracurricular.

The irony is that the girl with 10a* had been goaded into applying to Oxford and Bristol was actually her first choice- she would have given it the most serious consideration is she'd received an other [tho our sixth form head is so scary I think she would have ended up accepting Oxford's offer]. Unis like Bristol and UCL and Warwick need to remember that a considerable minority of candidates consider them above Oxbridge.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
need to remember that a considerable minority of candidates consider them above Oxbridge.
tis true. although i had a ABB Biochem offer for Jesus, Oxford; i chose Bristol as i preferred their medical course (pretty similar style course but with more systems integration in the second and third years).

also, i would much rather practice in the bristol or london area so i was advised it doesn't really matter where you get your medicine degree (older med schools like oxbridge and the red-bricks are more respected by some of the old-school consultants, of course - a dying breed!) so i took bristol up on their AAB offer.

there's quite a few people here (in bristol) with AAA etc. that didn't even apply to oxbridge for their own reasons. at they end of the day they know bristolians will have great job prospects regardless
raagyone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The heads of sixth form where I went really tried to make me apply to Oxford, but I didn't want to in the end so I didn't.
I went down there twice to have a look around. I went to an Oxbridge convention at Old Trafford stadium in Manchester. But after all of this, I decided I would be much more happy if I went to Bristol.
One thing that put me off doing geology at Oxford was that the only subject they cared about you having was maths...they didn't care at all if you had done geology for four years since GCSE.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads