The Student Room Group

Most famous british university after Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ruvermillion
How well known would you say LSE when compared to imperial globally?

depends on who you're asking, your mum or the man on the bus might have heard different things to someone who's likely to offer you a job. Techies are more likely to have heard of ic i suppose. Lse has turned out a lot of people who've gone on to be government ministers around the world so it's got very notable alumni. People pay more attention to prime ministers than engineers and boffins. It was also a hotbed of student radicalism in the swinging sixties believe it or not.
This is all basically guesswork btw.
I doubt there's any. Harvard and Oxford are probably the only two universities that have a big international reputation. This is mainly due to the fact that they're firstly they're known as the best universities in their country and by the fact that they're featured in many pop cultural references. The other universities just aren't that well known amongst non-university goers. Don't get me wrong, Yale/Princeton/Stanford/Cambridge come close into second and they're also pretty famous but in comparison to Oxford or Harvard, they aren't as well known.

You shouldn't group oxford and Cambridge together because outside of the UK, Oxford is the more known university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Depends on the area. In Asia probably Imperial and Nottingham. In America probably St. Andrews. In Europe, maybe UCL.

I have to agree with you there. American's also love Bristol and Edinburgh uni.
LSE, UCL and Imperial. They attract far more international attention and applicants than St Andrews or Nottingham.
Academically probssss Imperial of St Andrews, Kings

Employer basis, probably Imperial, Bristol, Manch, Notts (especially in Asia)
Reply 65
Probably UCL. I would say Imperial, however it hasn't been around as long.
Reply 66
Whoever says imperial/UCL etc. don't know what they are talking about! Oxbridge an maybe LSE in financial cities and that's it! I'm an international student from Germany and lets face it, uk unis aren't that famous, evn imperial an UCL.

1) Oxbridge

MASSIVE GAP
2)LSE

That's it
Reply 67
Manchester should have taken the opportunity to rename as Manchester United University when it merged with Umist.
Reply 68
Original post by Romanorum-Hellas
LSE, UCL and Imperial. They attract far more international attention and applicants than St Andrews or Nottingham.

LSE and Imperial are extremely well known for Economics and Maths/Engineering respectively, but outside of that they aren't well known. I'd never heard of either before I came on TSR, because I'm outside of their niche fields.

In East Asia Nottingham is extremely well known and highly regarded. They have two campuses East Asia, and a great many international and exchange students are from East Asia.
DMU; their adverts are world famous, don't ya' know! :wink:
Reply 70
LSE, Edinburgh, St Andrews. But then I'm kinda biased towards the social sciences.
The one after Oxbridge?! Most certainly Camford :ahee:
Reply 72
I would think to look in the QS world rankings, genrally and also by emplyabilty.

QS top 30 (2011) = Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Kings and Bristol

QS top 15 for emplyability (2012) = Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Edinburgh

So to compare I would think Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Edinburgh have the best reputation, as regarded by other countries-and these do seem to be some of the oldest and definitely most respected universities to get into in the UK.

But it would also depend on degree concentration and research ratings.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
I am an Indian, but always been with Americans. UCL is the most famous university by far in communities her. Probably more so than Cambridge in some places.
Original post by Nanopker
Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm looking for
the universities best known in the following areas:
Hong Kong
Japan
South Korea
Australia
Canada
United States
Singapore
Taiwan

Obviously I know it would be very difficult to tell, but just five me a general idea which uni after Oxbridge are best known in these places

1. ANU
2. University of Sydney
3. University of Melbourne
4. University of Queensland

EDIT: totally misread what you asked for hahah. Sorry. Yeah, oxbridge is obviously the most known here. As is University of Manchester purely because everyone knows Manchester (Man United etc)
(edited 12 years ago)
In America it's King's College London
Reply 77
TO ALL AMERICANS: How well are imperial, LSE and UCL to:

1) big and top American companies (financial and tech)?
2) general public

Please rank them accordin to category
If I'm honest, I think people are slightly inflating the overseas reputation of UCL in particular. It's always seen (in my eyes) as not as good as the top 2 and therefore ignored. Someone even thought I meant UEFA Champions League,, when I was asked about it on holiday. I think it goes something likes this.

LSE/Imperial
Kings
UCL
Manchester
Warwick

Warwick is more known abroad than people give it credit for. I'm not sure why people put St Andrews so highly. This craze only seems to exist in the US, elsewhere its still pretty much unknown. If we are being honest though, it doesn't matter since Oxbridge are head and shoulders above the rest, even though some Americans havent heard of neither lol
(edited 12 years ago)
The Open University

It has 250,000 students from 160 countries. It is a pioneer of distance and open learning, and has a claim to being one of the biggest universities in the world based on student numbers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending