Is it possible to teach yourself AS-level Maths? Watch

Lotts
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is it possible to teach yourself AS-level Maths, using textbooks and revision guides?

- Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Lottie.
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no, you can only learn AS-level maths if a qualified adult teaches you. it's the only way.
Dekota
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's impossible!

I can't imagine it happen. :rolleyes:
C4>O7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The last person who tried it ...died :eek:
arktos
Report 12 years ago
Doing further maths by myself, It isn't too bad.
He who feared failure sat still.
Xxx Mini xxX
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you really need a qualified persons help to actually learn the stuff, i know i did, i could never do it on my own, but then again if you really are like a genius and are a quick learner then maybe but i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone, maths is seriously tough at a level.
Lotts
I am not a genius!!

I got a B in GCSE Maths (the higher paper) and I'm studying an Open University course which has some Maths (though I'm not sure to what level exacty).

Are there any really good textbooks available that explain the AS material really thoroughly?

Thanks,

Lottie.
CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Learnt C1, C2, and S1 in 3 months, its very easy if your good at maths and can motivate yourself
Dystopia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Try looking through some of the early modules if you can so that you personally can decide how difficult it is. There are at least specifications available on the Internet, and you could look through the sample papers if you can't find anything else.

I'm sure there are people who could teach themselves AS Maths with ease, whereas some people still fail with a year of actual teaching.
wacabac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sarcasm aside, yes you can teach yourself, plenty of people have done it, but if you got a B at GCSE I would highly recommend getting a tutor to help you with it.
Esquire
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's actually a really fun course and the heinemann books are pretty comprehensive, so I'm sure that you can teach yourself. I had a teacher who could explain everything really well in her mother tongue...
Zthavan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
for As you can, but if you decide to do A2 or futher maths then it would be rather difficult, without the aid of a teacher.
Lotts
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Its only AS Maths that I want to do. Are these AS textbooks pretty comprehensive and self-explanatory or are they designed to be used under the guidance of a Maths teacher?

Lottie.
meef cheese
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lotts)
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Its only AS Maths that I want to do. Are these AS textbooks pretty comprehensive and self-explanatory or are they designed to be used under the guidance of a Maths teacher?

Lottie.
(Original post by Esquire)
It's actually a really fun course and the heinemann books are pretty comprehensive, so I'm sure that you can teach yourself.
Zthavan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it depends on how motivated you are to learn; c1 c2 and s1, i would say is rather self explanatory if you push yourself to learn, but if you decide to do m1 instead prior to any physics knowledge, then i think you would require the guidance of a teacher on that module.
Swinely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Matt_2K)
Learnt C1, C2, and S1 in 3 months, its very easy if your good at maths and can motivate yourself

This is weird... your predicted a/s grades are good, i also do 5 subjects but feel im kinda starting to fail them slowly, and after my gcse results i should be doing a lot better :\. Maths especially is one of the subjects.

Personally (more on topic), i could never teach myself maths or any other subject other than programming. I wouldn't be able to motivate myself.
Lotts
Which syllabus do you all think is the most conducive to self-study, OCR, Edexcel or AQA?

Are they all set at the same standard for AS Maths or is one considered easier than the rest?
Malik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do Edexcel not because it may(or may not) be the easiest but because its got the most resources ie theres loads of past papers and practices about all over the net.
Lotts
Hi,

Help!!
I've looked at the Edexcel website and there seems to be so many different Maths AS-levels: Maths, Pure Maths, Statistics, Mechanics, Applied Maths etc. How do I know which one to study?!

- I'm considering a career in the NHS, so would it be better to study the one that has the most relevance e.g. an AS GCE in Statistics ?

Thanks.
alla
Report 12 years ago
I would recommend to take C1, C2 and Mechanics 1 or Statistics1 for Edexcel.The best study guides available ,and believe me I've looked trough them all, are the Advanced Maths Essentials series edited by Longman_Core1, Core2, Mechanics1 for Edexcel. The same serie is available for Aqa and Ocr. This is the best to prepare for the exams, then do the papers. To study try As Core for Edexcel by Longman as well. One of my friend went from D to A in Mechanics using this serie and cannot thanks me enough. The key is to be organised and study every day, no matter what. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads