Rejected. Watch

MrFulton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I really wanted to get into Leeds Uni to study English.

I had nowhere near the grades last year (CCD) but I've been at university for six months now, I've had a years experience studying English Language at another University. I proved that despite being somewhere that I don't like, I wouldnt've dropped out. I've slogged it out and grinded through Linguistics textbooks and David Crystal set works. I had a glowing reference from my old college head teacher. Apparently none of this was enough. It didn't matter that I would never drop out, or that I would give it my all because it's been my focus for a year. The only reason that I've stayed here at this terrible uni (London Met) as opposed to dropping out and going home is so that I'd have a better chance of getting into Leeds.

So anyway, among the bitterness is some light. Eventually I want to be a journalist, so it's a good job I've been offered an unconditional for Leeds Trinity and All Saints university for a journalism BA. Suppose there's some light at the end of the tunnel? Could've been worse
PsychNick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey sorry to hear you didn't get into Leeds. Have you phoned/emailed them at all asking why they didn't let you in?
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by MrFulton)
I really wanted to get into Leeds Uni to study English.

I had nowhere near the grades last year (CCD) but I've been at university for six months now, I've had a years experience studying English Language at another University. I proved that despite being somewhere that I don't like, I wouldnt've dropped out. I've slogged it out and grinded through Linguistics textbooks and David Crystal set works. I had a glowing reference from my old college head teacher. Apparently none of this was enough. It didn't matter that I would never drop out, or that I would give it my all because it's been my focus for a year. The only reason that I've stayed here at this terrible uni (London Met) as opposed to dropping out and going home is so that I'd have a better chance of getting into Leeds.

So anyway, among the bitterness is some light. Eventually I want to be a journalist, so it's a good job I've been offered an unconditional for Leeds Trinity and All Saints university for a journalism BA. Suppose there's some light at the end of the tunnel? Could've been worse
Just because you've stayed at that university, doesn't mean it'll put you in a better position when applying to Leeds University. If it was as simple as going to a lesser university and then merely reapplying next year, everybody would be doing it.

If anything, I'd have suggested doing another year of college, re-sitting all the exams or modules you didn't do so well in and then reapplying with at least an A and a couple of Bs under your belt.

Getting onto an English course at Leeds is very difficult given that it’s highly competitive, so it's no wonder they only usually consider applicants with excellent A level grades.

The only reason I’m saying this is because I convinced myself I’d be able to walk into another University after spending a bit of time at one that was well beneath my capabilities; it simply isn’t that easy. I ended up going back to college, took on some different A Levels and have worked my neck off for offers at Warwick and Leeds.
MrFulton
Rep:
?
(Original post by nickb123)
Hey sorry to hear you didn't get into Leeds. Have you phoned/emailed them at all asking why they didn't let you in?
I'm considering sending them a very thought out letter describing my situation. Heck, when there was a series of muggings here a few people left, I really wanted to but I thought nah, that'd definately crush my chances of gettin into Leeds into the ground. Seems like it wouldnt've really made a difference! Does sending the university in question sometimes make them think twice and reconsider if you put in things which you couldn't put in your personal statement? Do you think?
(Original post by Jacques Derrida)
Just because you've stayed at that university, doesn't mean it'll put you in a better position when applying to Leeds University. If it was as simple as going to a lesser university and then merely reapplying next year, everybody would be doing it.

If anything, I'd have suggested doing another year of college, re-sitting all the exams or modules you didn't do so well in and then reapplying with at least an A and a couple of Bs under your belt.

Getting onto an English course at Leeds is very difficult given that it’s highly competitive, so it's no wonder they only usually consider applicants with excellent A level grades.

The only reason I’m saying this is because I convinced myself I’d be able to walk into another University after spending a bit of time at one that was well beneath my capabilities; it simply isn’t that easy. I ended up going back to college, took on some different A Levels and have worked my neck off for offers at Warwick and Leeds.
I see your point, but I'm not going back to college I'm afraid. It's either a last ditch attempt at persuading Leeds University, or I'm enrolling on the Leeds TASC Journalism course.
MrFulton
Rep:
?
My dad rang Leeds uni today and spoke to the head of English.

It appears I have to send her an email stating my case and most persuasive argument as to why I should be considered for Leeds university.

This is good. At least it wasn't a definite, 'no'.

Looks like I have a very important document to write.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Your Dad rang?

Do you not think it would have sounded better coming from you?
MrFulton
Rep:
?
(Original post by LH)
Your Dad rang?

Do you not think it would have sounded better coming from you?
No. I'm not really that good at handling important phone calls.

Anyway, the email is coming from me.
CrunchinJelly
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No. I'm not really that good at handling important phone calls.
So what are you going to do when you get to University? Phone your dad everytime you've got a problem so he can sort it out for you?
MrFulton
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrunchinJelly)
So what are you going to do when you get to University? Phone your dad everytime you've got a problem so he can sort it out for you?
Ignorant sod. Have you even read the original post? I've already been at university at the other end of the country for six months sorting out my problems. I'm trying to organise a transfer. Pay attention or don't bother commenting.
Jasundie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ignorant sod. Have you even read the original post? I've already been at university at the other end of the country for six months sorting out my problems. I'm trying to organise a transfer. Pay attention or don't bother commenting.
They were merely stating that you cannot rely on your father when it comes down to the crunch. With the evidence given, even though you have been at another university for a year, you still phoned your father. Seriously, it was just a point and I doubt it was meant to be taken personally.
MrFulton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasundie)
They were merely stating that you cannot rely on your father when it comes down to the crunch. With the evidence given, even though you have been at another university for a year, you still phoned your father. Seriously, it was just a point and I doubt it was meant to be taken personally.
So, basically, I get rejected from Leeds. I told my dad who said, 'Want me to give them a ring' so I said 'yeh, why not, can't do any harm'. I'm sorry, but is that me relying on my dad everytime it comes to the crunch? The thread isn't really on track any more is it? Instead of caring about whether I get my dad to do things for me the thread is about universities reconsidering applications.
PsychNick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So whats happened with Leeds, have they given you an offer even though you were initially rejected?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads