Should I call and ask what's going on? Watch

americankid
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Firstly, I'm ridiculously impatient.

Secondly, I'm getting worried that maybe they're missing something and have failed to get in touch with me.

And finally, I want some sense as to when I'll be receiving a decision.

Will calling piss them off?

Thanks,

J
BouncyB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When did you send your application form?
americankid
As of 4 January.
BouncyB
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yup, give them a call and explain ur query, and also ask the approximate time of replies. Im sure they will be helpful and you will get the info that you need.
subterfuge
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say not to... the 6th form at my school were advised to not contact universities we hadn't heard from until mid-march or later

i suppose if it bothers you that much you could ring, but it's unlikely to speed anything up... looking on the websites would be a better way of finding out how long their decision is likely to take, as it wouldnt waste their time.
KateSm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
give them a chance- they'll decide when they decide, the deadline isn't for ages. I had to wait a lot more than 6 weeks for my replies. It's up to you, but I don't see how ringing them would help.
CrunchinJelly
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, 4th January is nothing, really.

There are people on here waiting since the start of November!
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
should you call who?? you never actually said. i haven't heard back from 4 of my 6 unis and mine went off a few days later than yours did.

regards
--marty
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only call if there's a reason you might not have heard from them if they sent anything. So if you live in Northern Ireland there's been a postal strike recently, or if your email address was wrong/changed etc.
Angelharpist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I sent my UCAS off on the 3rd October (for Oxbridge) and I only just heard back from Bristol today. That's a really, really long time - you don't know real impatience 'til you wait 4, nearly 5 months for a reply from a University!

Similarly, I didn't hear from Southampton or Kings College London until late January - that's almost three months.

If you haven't received an acknowledgement or details about interviews/open days after 2 months or so, then send them an email casually checking that you haven't missed something in the post or whatever.

As you applied so late, the Uni's will be sorting out people who applied earlier much sooner than you. Be patient... It'll all come good in the end
Renza
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by americankid)
Firstly, I'm ridiculously impatient.

Secondly, I'm getting worried that maybe they're missing something and have failed to get in touch with me.

And finally, I want some sense as to when I'll be receiving a decision.

Will calling piss them off?

Thanks,

J
Bad idea.

Plenty of people who sent their applications off as far back as October 2005 still have several places to receive replies to, including myself. I've contemplated phoning, just out of anxiety. I'll phone if I don't get an offer by 31st March.

Until then, I'm going to immerse myself in the wonders that is studying for my advanced highers.
americankid
Thanks everyone for your advice.

My course of action: Not call until after the 31st March deadline has passed. In the meantime, trying to distract myself...

Jordan
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bah, I've phoned Warwick a couple of times to ask when they'll let me know. The first time they told me that I'd probably know by last Friday; and last Friday they told me that it would probably come mid-March. It's only administrative staff you speak to - not the people that will actually be making the decisions.

Hey, if there's still nothing by the 6th I'm going to be quite firm with them about wanting to know there and then over the phone, because the last open day for applicants is the 8th at Warwick, and if I can't visit them I'm not putting them down as a firm.
belle_27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Originally posted by philjw
Bah, I've phoned Warwick a couple of times to ask when they'll let me know. The first time they told me that I'd probably know by last Friday; and last Friday they told me that it would probably come mid-March. It's only administrative staff you speak to - not the people that will actually be making the decisions.

Hey, if there's still nothing by the 6th I'm going to be quite firm with them about wanting to know there and then over the phone, because the last open day for applicants is the 8th at Warwick, and if I can't visit them I'm not putting them down as a firm.
Here, here! Why shouldn't you call and see how things are going, its your application so you've got a right to know. Also lots of people call up so its not as if you're going to be unique doing so. Also, March 31st is the absolute deadline for them so they have to reply by then.

Also, I think its ridiculous that Warwick are failing to make their decisions before their last open day, unless they plan to hold another one, which I doubt. I was planning to call them this week but it seems everyone who's called is getting the same response of March, and also I'm a little scared I'll end up being extremely rude to them In a way I feel like withdrawing my application from them though I know thats a bit drastic and I would quite like an offer from them but right now I like Sheffield a whole lot better considering they were really nice on the Open day and gave me an offer back in November! Plus their letter to me telling me about their offer was really nice as well. What have I got from Warwick? Nought.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?