The Student Room Group

Modern Languages at Uni

Are they really worth doing? I'd like to continue French, and do it with Italian, but what are the career propsects of a Modern Languages Graduate? Is it seen as a bit of a 'waste of time' degree? Also, how competitive is it to get into somewhere like Oxbridge, or Durham etc to read Modern Languages? What kinda grades they looking for?? Thanks for advice.

Scroll to see replies

I used to think a lot like you!

At first, i wanted to choose a very vocational course which would lead to a definite job - this is why i wanted to do Optometry. (don't ask!)

But ever since the beginning, i had a flair for languages and i guess it was one of my skills that i just couldn't 'ignore', or 'leave behind' if you like. (sorry if this sounds like i'm showing off!)

so one day, one of my teachers managed to convince me to 'not just leave my language skills behind' and pursue it at degree-level. i managed to get convinced.

i hate the way some people think languages is one of them 'mickey-mouse' courses for 'losers' - they can kiss my butt!

It's the total opposite in fact - in my opinion, and i'm sure a lot of people will agree, that a languages degree will give you more 'transferable skills' than any other type of uni course. (and it is these TRANSFERABLE SKILLS that employers look for) Most employers don't even look at the degree course.

as for competitiveness - i always thought they are not that competitive but actually, places like Oxford ARE very competitive - so watch out. compared to other degrees like Medicine and Law, obviously they are not as competitive.
Reply 2
How could it possibly be a waste of time? It's one of the most solid academic subjects around, and you develop a huge amount of varying skills.

It's been the bain of my existence since starting Uni that whenever someone finds out I study French, they automatically assume I want to be a teacher, when I've never actually been interested in that at all. I've also never really expected to go into something directly related to French - I've always seen it as an important bunch of skills which, as Linguist said, are highly transferable. Language graduates go into the whole range of careers, even things like Law. It shows that you have good communication skills, and what employer wouldn't want that?

Languages aren't as competitive as a lot of other courses anywhere, including Oxford, where something like 1 in 2 applicants get in. BUT that doesn't mean that it's not useful; it's simply a reflection of the sad fact that not enough young people like learning languages, or realise the importance of it.

And anyway, the most important thing is to study something you enjoy - you'll end up with a better degree for it.
Language degrees aren't a waste of time at all! OK, I'm biased because I'll be starting one in the autumn, but learning one or more foreign languages can never be a waste of time because employers are always looking for people who can do it. Aside from that, because most of the degree is about more than just language, you pick up the same skills as an English or history student. Then there's the year abroad, which shows you're independent and can function in a different environment to the one you're used to. All the talks I've been to at university open days have stressed employment prospects as one of the best features of a languages degree and how linguists go into all sorts of different jobs. Languages are less competitive than other subjects because they're less popular, but you'll still need AAA for Oxbridge. Durham's typical offer is ABB, but bear in mind that most applicants are predicted higher grades than that.
Reply 4
In a recent survey of employers the thing they wanted most was graduates who were more internationally aware, not only of languages but of different cultures and peoples - modern languages provide just that. Remember that you won't be solely focusing on language i.e. vocab and grammar, you'll be studying the culture, history, literature and politics of the language area too (you can choose which modules you want to do though so you could avoid a particular non-linguistic aspect like literature if you wanted).
If you have a language degree from a good uni you will be massively employable, don't worry:wink:
I actually see languages as more complicated and 'intelligent' than some other subjects. For example, for Biology/Chemistry/Physics etc it's purely a case of learning facts and formulae (though I'm sure some scientists will correct me on this!) - with languages it's more of a case of natural aptitude. It's very unusual for someone to be really bad and languages and suddenly improve radically as it's accumulative learning that can't be learnt/revised overnight.

I also get upset about people calling Music a Mickey Mouse subject (I'm also a musician, starting a Music and French degree in the autumn!) - it requires far more passion and natural aptitude than Drama, Science or anything similar... It's a discipline, same as language learning. :smile:

Regarding Oxbridge, I believe there's a one in 5 chance of getting in for MML at Cambridge (even though I was rejected *sniff*). It could be better at Oxford, I don't know - I just didn't like the feel of the town as much as Cambridge.
She meant she didn't like the feel of Oxford!
leannemann
She meant she didn't like the feel of Oxford!

Oops, obviously I can't read properly:p:
Reply 8
I honestly didn't realise languages had a reputation as a "mickey mouse" course. I find that idea rather ridiculous. Most people I speak to seem impressed by the idea of speaking several languages. As they should be- it's hardly easy!
Angelharpist
I also get upset about people calling Music a Mickey Mouse subject (I'm also a musician, starting a Music and French degree in the autumn!) - it requires far more passion and natural aptitude than Drama, Science or anything similar... It's a discipline, same as language learning. :smile:

People saying that about music used to piss me off no end, but it's even worse for us electric guitar players, as we're instantly lumped in with the Green Day/can't play for **** crowd, regardless of the fact that we've put in years of solid practice. :mad:
ML is a tough degree and no mistake...NOT Mickey Mouse. Guardian Univ Guide maintains that (Univ of London) ML graduates have the seceond best employability record next to Medicine. No wonder, with all the skills and hard work it takes, especially 2 or more foreign languages. Besides, Languages are way coolest of all.:cool:
Reply 11
Even if you're not convinced by all this though, you should be aiming to do a degree in something that really interests you. So if you want to study languages, do so.
Reply 12
Not only do I believe that languages are harder than subjects like history, english etc but I also think that they're far more useful. I mean being able to speak French/German/Spanish/whatever to a foreign client is a much better skill than being able to quote several lines of Shakespere. There are also fewer MFL graduates which in itself is a valuable asset.
Reply 13
So we all seem to agree... Who are these people who call them "mickey mouse"? *Shakes fist*
Reply 14
Ludivine
So we all seem to agree... Who are these people who call them "mickey mouse"? *Shakes fist*

Probably people who aren't any good at it, and try to make themselves feel better by making out that languages are useless anyway.
eleri
Probably people who aren't any good at it, and try to make themselves feel better by making out that languages are useless anyway.

spot on! .. and people who think 'everyone knows/should speak english anyway" :rolleyes:
Reply 16
linguist786
people who think 'everyone knows/should speak english anyway" :rolleyes:

Ugh. I hate those people so much! :mad:
Reply 17
Here is a link to a forum I joined which talks about Japanese not being particularly useful to some http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20796 although I would be inclined to disagree (however, most of the users seem to come from America, where education of languages may be entirely different). Language combinations with other professions provide many fundamental skills, as well as being able to work internationally - combine languages with another profession, such as law or economics, and you're laughing - most language courses would elements of this within the degree in any case.
Reply 18
eleri
Ugh. I hate those people so much! :mad:

i stab them with pens. :mad: :mad: :mad:

(in my mind of course)
Reply 19
mr jim
i stab them with pens. :mad: :mad: :mad:

(in my mind of course)

Stab away:wink:

*stab stab stab*

Latest