British Army Basic Training

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Shabalala
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am thinking of joining the British army I still haven't even been for the initial selection camp yet so I am still a long way away from starting basic training I was just wondering how hard is it at basic what's a daily routine like and how does life in basic compare to life in the military once you have finished it.

Do they treat you like **** regardless if you are doing everything correct just to break you down and mould you into the person they want i'm not complaining I just want an insight into what to expect.
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Basic will be hard, and there might be times where you want to give up. Be prepared for aches, pains and sleep deprivation. They don't treat you like ****, but will shout a lot, but only because they want you to push yourself to the limit at all times.

Can't speak for Army life however.
Tom26070
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
They treat you like crap and want respect for it. I think the way they train is more mentally challenging than anything.
ProStacker
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tom26070)
They treat you like crap and want respect for it. I think the way they train is more mentally challenging than anything.
Given your age, you have at best been told tall tales about military training.

It is hard, but it is supposed to ensure you have the basic skills to start a harder level of training after that. There is some bull, but they have to put you under pressure to see how you behave. It is not like the 'real' military in some aspects as training is an artificial environment.
cid
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Depends what you are planning to join.

The official word is all recruits do the same 14 week basic training, and to an extent this is true, everyone does cover the same syllabus over a 14 week period to become the basic solider before receiving further training specific to their role within the field army.

However different factor will determine where you attend basic training and where you attend basic training will determine your basic training experience.

Your profile says you are 18, so you would attend adult entry at either ATR Pirbright if you are joining a Corp or ITC Catterick if joining the Infantry. (I think Armoured Corps also train at Pirbright now, though it did used to be Winchester)

It looks like ATR Bassingbourne is now also adult training, not 100% on this though

Anyway, Basic training is not hard, most people think it is when it is happening, however when you look back at it, you think what the hell was i worried about, it is actually very very simple.

Typical day

Wake up, make your bed
Clean yourself, clean your room, do outside areas
Have a room inspection
Parade for breakfast
Parade for lessons (field skills, rifle lessons, Physical Training, CBRN, Navigation, Laws of armed conflict, battlefield casualty drills, DRILL oh my god so much drill)
Parade for Lunch
Parade for more lessons
Parade for end of works usually 5-6pm
Clean your Kit*
Clean your room* *These can take you all night to do to the required standard*
Go to bed
Repeat

If you fail a room inspection or mess up significantly you will have to parade down the guard room at a certain time in the evening in a certain dress, accompanied by certain items.

You will fail inspections, you will get shouted at, you will do press ups and go for little runs.

The way to look at it is as an initiation into the Army, however keep in mind you are there to learn, the instructors have to teach you quite a bit in only 14 weeks and will ensure you learn it even if it means standing over you and MAKING you learn, however their time is precious and they are only human after all, so if you approach it with the mindset, 'it is only temporary but i will give 100% every second i am awake' , you will walk it have some bloody good memories.

Also the army doesn't break people down and then rebuild them anymore, its more akin to taking lumps of clay and moulding them thesedays.

It is absolutely nothing like the field army, you do have the occasional training days in the field army but it is so different, in training you are not friends with your Corporal, he is your senior and you do as he says, once you are in the field army Corporals are generally mates, still your superior but and have all the authority as they do in Basic except your treated a bit more like an adult. You have more free time in the field army, generally get most weekends off, no bed times, usually not even morning parades, Mondays are usually the exceptions. It is 90% of the time quite laid back, 10% you have basic training levels of Bull**** but its usually when the brass comes round for a visit.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cid)

Anyway, Basic training is not hard, most people think it is when it is happening, however when you look back at it, you think what the hell was i worried about, it is actually very very simple.
This is actually very true. Physically and mentally, basic training isn't that much of a big deal - what is a big deal is the system shock of adapting to a new and alien routine and trying to take in all the new information and requirements in a very short space of time, as well as doing all the things you're supposed to.

Additionally, the major part of basic training is about forcing you to work with other people as a team - this is something that is done singularly badly in civilian life, and almost always ends up achieving the opposite (for example, give a bunch of graduates on an assessment centre a team exercise, and they will very likely kill one another for a marginal advantage).

The difficulty is that (as far as you are concerned) most of the other people in your platoon or troop are the laziest, most stupid people you will ever have come across in your life, with the exception of maybe one guy who is a rejoiner from the Parachute Regiment or something, and makes everyone look like imbeciles. You have to live and work with people who you will find very odd - some will be from parts of the country you have never heard of, and some will be from countries you have never heard of. You all get thrown together with a whole load of musty smelling equipment that no-one knows what it does.
Shabalala
Rep:
Sounds like good fun then haha

Also as a side question that will sound pervy as **** but might aswell get as much info I can before I join so are you allowed to have sex with females who happen to be in the same regiment or whatever and yes I know that most of the females in the army will be ugly but if there happens to be an attractive female then do I have a green light

I'm not talking about in basic training or anything obviously but when you are actually in the army is it banned?
cid
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Showing affection whilst in uniform is not allowed, there are plenty of people in relationships with each other in the military, obviously in basic it is NOT allowed.
Shabalala
Rep:
Also I was thinking of the Royal Military Police as I have wanted to join the regular police but they won't take on many 18 year olds they want me to get life experiance but I don't really want to join the RMP if it's just based in Britain part of the reason I want to join to get into the big wide world go to places like Afghan, Falklands, Africa etc.. and not just in a base camp I mean on patrol and stuff would the RMP as a soldier allow me to do that.
ProStacker
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You NEED to do more of your own research and reading. You are asking questions you can easily find the answer for on the careers websites. Also, some general reading about the Army, what it does and where would do you well.
c471
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shabalala)
Sounds like good fun then haha

Also as a side question that will sound pervy as **** but might aswell get as much info I can before I join so are you allowed to have sex with females who happen to be in the same regiment or whatever and yes I know that most of the females in the army will be ugly but if there happens to be an attractive female then do I have a green light

I'm not talking about in basic training or anything obviously but when you are actually in the army is it banned?

Also I was thinking of the Royal Military Police as I have wanted to join the regular police but they won't take on many 18 year olds they want me to get life experiance but I don't really want to join the RMP if it's just based in Britain part of the reason I want to join to get into the big wide world go to places like Afghan, Falklands, Africa etc.. and not just in a base camp I mean on patrol and stuff would the RMP as a soldier allow me to do that.
It can do, completely depends on your posting etc. You could be Parachute Regiment, and not leave bastion, you could be REME and spend 7 months in a CP.

RMP like most do have a role out on the ground. Whether you personally get to fill that role is not something anybody can predict.

Basic is more about the **** around factor than anything. Work hard, do your best, arrive fit and dont give undue **** to anybody. You will get in trouble, you will feel like you cant be arsed, you wont enjoy a lot of it at the time.

Its all a game, they arent throwing your stuff out the window because you werent tidy. They do it to because nothing will ever be good enough. Basic isnt everything, lots of people leave basic being really rubbish, and end being good soldiers.
Shabalala
Rep:
(Original post by ProStacker)
You NEED to do more of your own research and reading. You are asking questions you can easily find the answer for on the careers websites. Also, some general reading about the Army, what it does and where would do you well.
I have done research and preperation thank you regarding fitness and different job roles but the army website doesn't go into a lot of detail about life in the military it's just one small page for each job role and I haven't been able to find clear answers to these questions allot of the stuff on the internet is from a few years ago and the info might of changed or it's from the US army which will be slightly different I imagine.

I'm going for my 2nd appointment to the army recruiting centre in Glasgow on wednsday anyway so I should find out even more then but i'm trying to get clear answers from people that have been through it or are going through it now.
ProStacker
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
http://www.army.mod.uk/agc/provost/13315.aspx

http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/ro...olice-soldier/

Those links are the reason I said you need to read the official websites more. They clearly show and talk about RMP on operations and working around the globe - questions you asked about.
Tom26070
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ProStacker)
Given your age, you have at best been told tall tales about military training.

It is hard, but it is supposed to ensure you have the basic skills to start a harder level of training after that. There is some bull, but they have to put you under pressure to see how you behave. It is not like the 'real' military in some aspects as training is an artificial environment.
My cousin was in the army, and he is now in the Royal Marines. He knows what he is talking about.
cid
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tom26070)
My cousin was in the army, and he is now in the Royal Marines. He knows what he is talking about.

get your cuz on the thread, I'm sure he'd agree its all fun an games, especially if he went and joined the marines afterwards.

It's not so bad.
Tom26070
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cid)
get your cuz on the thread, I'm sure he'd agree its all fun an games, especially if he went and joined the marines afterwards.

It's not so bad.
I don't think he is on here.
C.durdey
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
They don't treat you like **** at all, they only work you up when they need to, I.e bayonet training, battle fire training etc. they don't mould you to be who they want! They encourage and discapline you to be the best version of you that you can be, please don't go in with the wrong ideas about the army. You will learn new skills and be rewarded for your efforts but it will be hard, your going to be a soldier you will have to rely on your team and fellow soldiers to push you through the tough bits, good luck.
C.durdey
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have done research and preperation thank you regarding fitness and different job roles but the army website doesn't go into a lot of detail about life in the military it's just one small page for each job role and I haven't been able to find clear answers to these questions allot of the stuff on the internet is from a few years ago and the info might of changed or it's from the US army which will be slightly different I imagine.

I'm going for my 2nd appointment to the army recruiting centre in Glasgow on wednsday anyway so I should find out even more then but i'm trying to get clear answers from people that have been through it or are going through it now.
There are blogs by soldiers going through day by day 14 week training google it x
Shabalala
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by C.durdey)
There are blogs by soldiers going through day by day 14 week training google it x
Seeing as I posted this thread in 2012, I have already been through phase 1 and am in the army already I don't think that will be necessary. Cheers anyway though looking back these replies were pretty much spot on about what its like except we had an ex Royal Marine as our re-joiner who made everyone look like imbeciles.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
except we had an ex Royal Marine as our re-joiner who made everyone look like imbeciles.
This happened to me too. Except he got a blowjob off a female recruit during the adventure training week and so I got the prize for best recruit instead of him.

With hindsight, I would rather have had the blowjob.
X
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.27%
They're exactly what I expected (71)
24.23%
They're lower than I expected (104)
35.49%

Watched Threads