Is doing a 4-ish mile walk enough to lose weight? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dbx125
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Currently 15 stone thereabouts. Want to lose weight before september. But i dont have any money/expertise/patience to do all the gym, special shake's etc that all those jocks do ( I know like nothing about the fine details of weight loss etc). So all I want is a simple walk round the park near me. Each loop is about 1.6 miles so ill walk round it like 3 times a day, everyday. Is that enough to start losing weight at a noticable level?
tinktinktinkerbell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends on your diet

it wont do jack unless you have a calorie deficit
dada55
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ontop of tinktink's comment, the walk should be at reasonable speed to atleast make you feel your heart is working harder.
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.
Walking consumes so little energy that unless you are huge, it won't do ****.
angelbones
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why not make it a jog round the park, instead of just a walk?
SubAtomic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dbx125)
Currently 15 stone thereabouts. Want to lose weight before september. But i dont have any money/expertise/patience to do all the gym, special shake's etc that all those jocks do ( I know like nothing about the fine details of weight loss etc). So all I want is a simple walk round the park near me. Each loop is about 1.6 miles so ill walk round it like 3 times a day, everyday. Is that enough to start losing weight at a noticable level?
At a noticeable level no, walking will do ef all other than get you a bit of fresh air, you need a skipping rope and to go hard, run, jog, press ups sit ups burpees squat thrusts planks, build muscle lose fat. Doesn't sound like you have the right mind set to make any changes to your weight and the mind is where you need to start. Eat healthy. Do occasional intense exercise after a build up period so to not have a heart attack. And you should be on your way. Muscle needs more calories and after a good session of any combination of the exercises I just mentioned you should have an afterburn which is a sign you have exerted yourself. Plus you must mean you want to lose fat because muscle weighs more, so you could stay 15 stone but look much leaner and toned with a good routine. Buck stops with you, you have the internet.
mczakk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
all exercise is good, as long as you raise your feel a bit out of breath, or a bit warm, doing your walk, and keeping an eye on what you eat will certainly help
Dbx125
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelbones)
Why not make it a jog round the park, instead of just a walk?
I would plan to once I lose a bit. But my fitness levels atm probably arnt great.
angelbones
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would plan to once I lose a bit. But my fitness levels atm probably arnt great.
Just walking isn't really going to increase your fitness levels noticably. I'm horrendously unfit (can't even jog half a mile without being out of breath!) but the more you do it the fitter you get.

Losing weight requires a real effort.
Piko_Piko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't do any exercise (and it sounds like you don't) then it will help. You'll find it easier to do more exercise later on if you've improved your fitness even a bit.
Dbx125
Rep:
?
No see I just ask this question because my father wanted to lose weight at one point in his life he was about 14 stone and he went for a walk round this same park everyday and a year later he was 11 stone. I just figured it looked easy enough for him and I should do it. He did cut down his eating as well.
mikestraws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

(Original post by Jimbo1234)
No.
Walking consumes so little energy that unless you are huge, it won't do ****.
I went from 16 stone to 13 by walking 6 miles a night 4 or 5 night a week and eating healthily. Not counting calories, just eating meals made up of things that everyone knows are good for you, and only having things that everyone knows are bad for you on occasion.

It's that simple.

Once I lost a few stone by walking, I lost the last stone by doing couch to 5k, then running 5-10k 3 nights a week. My weight only ever went up untill I hit the 16 stone point. 18 months after the lifestyle I just described to you I managed to hit level 13 point something on a bleep test. Not to bad for a guy who had been obese and never done any strenuous exercise prior
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will probably lose if you do that walking and cut your diet. Why not start running though? If you do the couch to 5k routine it will start you out as a complete beginner and in 8/9 weeks you will be running 5k with no trouble. Very good for an exercise beginner. Obviously, you can start working in other stuff like interval training, skipping, swimming etc. once you're feeling fitter. Don't forget to fix your diet though.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Walking is better than not walking right?

However, I seriously advise you to get your fitness up and start running.
Dbx125
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikestraws)
I went from 16 stone to 13 by walking 6 miles a night 4 or 5 night a week and eating healthily. Not counting calories, just eating meals made up of things that everyone knows are good for you, and only having things that everyone knows are bad for you on occasion.

It's that simple.

Once I lost a few stone by walking, I lost the last stone by doing couch to 5k, then running 5-10k 3 nights a week. My weight only ever went up untill I hit the 16 stone point. 18 months after the lifestyle I just described to you I managed to hit level 13 point something on a bleep test. Not to bad for a guy who had been obese and never done any strenuous exercise prior

Thanks thats very helpful. Can I ask how long it took you to get to 13 stone?
grosbisousbaveux
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No see I just ask this question because my father wanted to lose weight at one point in his life he was about 14 stone and he went for a walk round this same park everyday and a year later he was 11 stone. I just figured it looked easy enough for him and I should do it. He did cut down his eating as well.
Oh tha't very good, by all means do the same if you think that'll work for you as well.
Congratulations for the initiative, but why not do something that you will actually enjoy. Like take up an activity that you'll keep doing. Rock climbing? Rowing? Football? and just be generally active.
I took up running to lose 3-4 kilos and now, 4 years later still do it for fun.
captainaesthetic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Walking won't do very much really, for the purposes of losing weight anyway. Going for a walk because you feel like it is fine..
Eat at a calorie deficit and lift weights, and read the sticky...
mikestraws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks thats very helpful. Can I ask how long it took you to get to 13 stone?
I honestly cant remember, I usually lost 1-2 pounds a week, I had a thread somewhere with some progress pics in it which I think were just over a year apart. Walking did help me get fitter too, as the weight came off my blood pressure lowered and my cholesterol normalized. Once I was running a few miles a few nights I was the "fittest" I had ever been, but I was skinny fat and unhappy with my looks so now I focus more on strength training and proper nutrition.
Rat_Bag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd tend to ignore what a lot of posters have said so far.

If you have been totally inactive until now and have a very low level of fitness, then walking 4 miles per day is a good place to start. If you do it daily, then it will increase your baseline metabolism. Whether this alone would be enough to have any noticeable weightloss I don't know. If you find that doing this 4 miles is tiring for you, then you are doing some tangible physical activity. I'd approach this step by step. Start walking, and keep doing it daily until you feel it's become a doddle (may take a couple of weeks). Then do the walk briskly (timing yourself so you know you're doing it faster) and can feel some sweat/heart beating, and keep this up until again it's become easy. Then you could start considering jogging, etc etc. But there is no point starting out at this desire to loose weight with jogging if you're really unfit, because you won't get anywhere, and will just become demotivated and disillusioned, and probably give up.

A few other points. Just the fresh air, change of environment, exposure to nature will be good for your psychological health. A lot of weight gaining behaviour (binge eating, over eating, snacking, unhealthy food, physical apathy) originates from poor psychological health, so if you can improve that, then you will also have the knock on effect of healthier lifestyle.

Importantly, you need to look at what you're eating. There isn't a need to get all obsessive about it, but replace energy dense food with equally filling, but less dense food. I know this is easier said than done.

Just an anecdote. I used to walk 6 miles a day (3 miles each way to the bus stop for school, then university, then work). Then last year I moved jobs and lived on-site of work, and so the long established 6 mile a day walking disappeared. In spite of not changing my diet at all, I noticed a belly appearing after about 4 or 5 months (I don't do any other exercise and have always been slim). So clearly walking a few miles a day does add to weight balance no matter what others here are saying.

Most important of all, remain positive.
StressReliever
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It all depends in calories in versus calories out. Say you burn 300 calories on your 4 mile walk, that could contribute to your calorie deficit assuming you don't eat an extra 300 calories more than normal. For example, say you naturally burn 2500 calories without exercise and consume 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week.... now add on the walking and that increases the daily calories burned to 2800 which would result in approx 0.5lb extra weight loss per week of you continue on a 2000 calorie diet.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads