A level choices...(at least its not just me...) Watch

Daydreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Put simply, I just wanted your opinions on what to do? I want to do Law at Oxbridge (tough field lol) and I was wondering is anyone knows about preferred subjects? I looked on their website and it said there was no prefernce but my parents think there is (history and english) and the only person from our school who has ever gotten into law did history eng and politics...

I need to choose 4 subjects...I'm doing Chemistry for sure. I want to do an english, either english lit or "english language and lit" combined....the other two are out of RS (philosophy and ethics), history (don't really like it...), Physics, Maths, politics and economics...

Opnions please?

26th Feb EDIT: Thanks Everyone!! I think I've made up my mind now...thx for the help :yy:
CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Take Maths.
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yiiw)
Put simply, I just wanted your opinions on what to do? I want to do Law at Oxbridge (tough field lol) and I was wondering is anyone knows about preferred subjects? I looked on their website and it said there was no prefernce but my parents think there is (history and english) and the only person from our school who has ever gotten into law did history eng and politics...

I need to choose 4 subjects...I'm doing Chemistry for sure. I want to do an english, either english lit or "english language and lit" combined....the other two are out of RS (philosophy and ethics), history (don't really like it...), Physics, Maths, politics and economics...

Opnions please?
Between english literature and english combined, I'd definitely go with lit, unless you have a burning desire to do the combined course. You say you don't really like history, so don't do it. If you take it just because you think you need to, you're unlikely to enjoy it and that'll make it alot harder for you to get a good grade, and you can get into a law course (even at oxbridge) without it, especially if you have english. From the rest, I would advise you to take whichever 2 you enjoy most, but maybe 1 of physics and maths and 1 of the others, to give you a broad range. Seriously though, don't do history if you don't enjoy it!!
thorondor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yiiw)

Opnions please?
My advice would be to get a balance of arts/humanities and science(s) rather than just going for all arts/humanities. I think Oxbirdge generally prefer the 'traditional' subjects.
ATESalisbury
Report 12 years ago
Don't take business or psych whatever happens!
~Bex~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tanzy)
Don't take business or psych whatever happens!
There's no real reason not to take them. Fair enough they're less respected than maths etc., but they're still good enough to get you into university, including Oxbridge.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd go for English literature rather than the combined course, just because it's a more established, traditional subject and therefore more respected. Don't do history if you don't like it- you don't actually need it for law, especially as you'll be doing English, and it's a very difficult subject at A-level. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be as willing to put the work in and you won't do as well. For your other 2 subjects, any of the ones you listed would be fine, so just go for the ones you'll enjoy the most, although as others said, a balance is always good, so maybe maths or physics with RS, politics or economics.
~Bex~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I'd go for English literature rather than the combined course, just because it's a more established, traditional subject and therefore more respected. Don't do history if you don't like it- you don't actually need it for law, especially as you'll be doing English, and it's a very difficult subject at A-level. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be as willing to put the work in and you won't do as well. For your other 2 subjects, any of the ones you listed would be fine, so just go for the ones you'll enjoy the most, although as others said, a balance is always good, so maybe maths or physics with RS, politics or economics.
lol we gave exactly the same advice. Great minds think alike!!
Hobbesian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
is politics respected for oxbridge?
thorondor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NEED-A*)
is politics respected for oxbridge?
I'd say at a guess that it's not quite as respected as the traditional subjects, i.e. science, English, history etc, but it is certainly a lot more respected than most of the others, like media studies for example. The attitude of many unis to subjects such as politics at A-level may not be out of disrespect for the subject, but simply because they don't want to put too much emphasis on it since a lot of places don't offer students the chance to study A-level politics.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JaDaAu)
I'd say at a guess that it's not quite as respected as the traditional subjects, i.e. science, English, history etc, but it is certainly a lot more respected than most of the others, like media studies for example. The attitude of many unis to subjects such as politics at A-level may not be out of disrespect for the subject, but simply because they don't want to put too much emphasis on it since a lot of places don't offer students the chance to study A-level politics.
:dito: Anyway, having 1 'mickey mouse' subject (not that politics is) won't harm your application. One of my 4 A-levels is sociology, so if they'd wanted to they could have excluded it and told me to get As in all of my traditional subjects (French, English lit and history) but they didn't.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
lol we gave exactly the same advice. Great minds think alike!!
Hehe, indeed they do!
Chiraag
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am doing ICT,Business, Law.

Is there any chance of me getting into kings college with these subjects? say if i got ABB to do business studies there.
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yiiw)

Opnions please?
To be honest you can do almost anything! As long as you come across intelligent and Oxbridge like you, then you stand a good chance of getting an offer. My mate got into Oxford with law, sociology and history because he's clever and their "type". As long as you make your subjects relate in your personal statement to skills needed in law you'll be fine! Another friend of mine graduated with a 2:1 LLB from Oxford last year and his A-levels were in biology, chemistry and physics with philosophy AS-level and some maths qualifications.
~Bex~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pauldaboi)
Whatever you do don't take Philosophy! It's boring and sucks big time in my opinion. You either love it or hate it!
Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you should tell people outright not to take it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?