The Student Room Group

Gedarel 30/150

Hello all..

Just a couple of things really. I'm currently on Gedarel 30/150 after changing twice before, first from Cerazette which was horrible with constant bleeding to microgynon 30 which was ok accept I experienced dryness and so was put on Gedarel and have been on it since about June/July of last year (admittedly it's not totally helped the dryness however I think that's partly due to me mentally)

Everything has been going fine until lately, the past two months or so I feel as if I've been having issues with it. I've been spotting on it which I had never done before and I have been taking it correctly, my bleed seems more painful than it was when I first started it and I've been up and down like a yo-yo on it. Half the time I'm fine and then slightest, simplest thing can set me off and I'm down like a shot and get into such a state over nothing. Although I enjoy it, I don't feel the desire to have sex, I really have to work to make myself feel remotely motivated, hopefully that makes sense.

It's not fair on my other half who's getting the brunt of it as it's not his fault., he ends up in the firing line if I'm in a foul mood or in tears. Contributing factors may be that I hate uni, in my final year and have no friends at uni, I barely see me friends from home and that I'm in an LDR with the boyfriend 200 odd miles away makes it hard.

Do you guys think it's worth me going to the doctors and asking to change again? I wouldn't be going if I didn't think it was worth it as I hate going to the doctors and don't like to waste there time. I'm not keep in the patch, injection or anything being inserted in me. I'd consider the implant but it's the idea that something is in my system and if it doesn't agree with me I'm stuck and incase I don't bleed, I like that reassurance at the end of each pack that I'm not pregnant.

Just after your thoughts and ideas please guys? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I don't think girls should leave so much blame with the pill. Yes it can cause mood swings but most the time you might be experiencing these if you were on no birth control whatsoever.
Reply 2
Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil
I don't think girls should leave so much blame with the pill. Yes it can cause mood swings but most the time you might be experiencing these if you were on no birth control whatsoever.

I did actually point out that I had been perfectly fine with it until recently and hadn't had a problem with it up until now. Furthermore I even acknowledged that there could well be other factors. You also seem to have focused merely on the emotional side of it and have completely dismissed the physical affects that have started..

But cheers for your ever so helpful post! :rolleyes:
I started Gedarel when I was worried that my PMT was getting in the way of my social life; I have to admit that I don't think that Gedarels done anything to help my moods, but hasnt made them any worse either (started last August). Looking back my PMT got out of the control in my final year and I the doctor had had a few girls in the same day as me concerend about it...... maybe our moods are more stress related than pill related.
Winter is a also a horrid time due to lack of daylight and exercise opportunities.
I have been looking at changing from Gedarel due to weight gain, thinking more about it Im going to give it another month and try to increase my exercise levels; if exercise doesnt help then Ill think about a change. Maybe you could do the same? Exercise is great mood enhancer and student gyms tend to offer cheap deals.
Are you being kind enough to yourself generally? Are you giving yourself you time away from uni work? and ensuring that you dont feel guilty about the weekends you spend with your partner? Its so easy to feel guilty about non-uni time, but that is soo important, make sure you are looking after yourself before you try to change again. Good LUCK! H
I am so glad I have found this post, I have come to the conclusion that Gedarel is screwing me up emotionally but wanted to find out if anyone anyone else felt the same. I used to take microgynon but stopped taking it as I felt it was causing me mood swings, but it has nothing on this. For the first three weeks of taking Gedarel I constantly felt sick, that stopped a week or two ago but now I am really emotional and feel really **** about life. Admittedly I have been under alot of stress lately with deadlines to meet but I have been under this level of stress plenty of times before and never felt like this.

Usually it takes something pretty tragic for me to cry, yesterday I cried because my boyfriend went to play football instead of spending time with me... I feel completely out of character, what should I do? Do I stick it out on the Gedarel as it might just be life catching up with me, do I change pill or do I give up on hormonal contraception altogether?
Reply 5
There doesn't seem to be any solid evidence that Gederel causes negative mood changes (In one study, most women experienced positive changes. There was a subgroup of women who had negative mood change but they also had a history of depression). but it is listed as one of the possible side effect (1/1000 women). If you like being on the pill, maybe first see if the change in mood is caused by something other than the pill. You mentioned you have been stressed lately - that can make emotions much harder to deal with, as suppressing negative feelings takes energy! I went through the same thing a couple of months ago when I had exams. Just like you describe - crying for silly reasons and feeling generally worthless. I am also on Gederel - but it passed. I find mindfulness really helpful for when I get depressed:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/mindfulness.aspx maybe it can help you. Also get plenty of exercise and distract yourself with things you enjoy doing.

Also, talk to your doctor... whether it's the pill or not.. they can help you with depression if that's what it is.

Hope that helps...
Reply 6
I started this pill a month ago today. I can honestly say it has been one of the worst decisions I have ever made, this is the first time I have ever used birth control so I do not know why they prescribed me this as micgrogynon is usually done first. It made my skin terrible with more spots appearing everyday all over my face and back and before this pill i had very clear skin. I took the pill every night and within an hour I would feel so emotional which is extremely out of character for me as I am a happy person. This pill changed me and after not taking it for a week now my spots have cleared and I am back in control of my emotions and being my usual self. I do not recommend this to anybody!!
Original post by amyfgh
I started this pill a month ago today. I can honestly say it has been one of the worst decisions I have ever made, this is the first time I have ever used birth control so I do not know why they prescribed me this as micgrogynon is usually done first. It made my skin terrible with more spots appearing everyday all over my face and back and before this pill i had very clear skin. I took the pill every night and within an hour I would feel so emotional which is extremely out of character for me as I am a happy person. This pill changed me and after not taking it for a week now my spots have cleared and I am back in control of my emotions and being my usual self. I do not recommend this to anybody!!

I'm on Gederal. The first month was horrendous and my mood swings were terrifying. I would be severely depressed or raging with anger. However, in the second month it settled down and I have been fine on it. It's brst to stick with a pill for a few months because it can take your body time to adjust.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone help me :/ iv just started gedarel pill and I started it the time when I was last due on my period a month ago and the time has come around for me to be on my period again but it's hasn't happened iv got 5 pregnancy tests that all say negative:/ I don't know what to do iv missed two periods now I'm worried
Reply 9
I took that for three months it gives the worst mood swings! You'll be angry for absolutely no reason. It make you lose soooo much wright though I went from size 10 to size 6 in three months. Because you know it's the pill causing the mood swings you need to learn to really control you mind set when you come off of it you'll feel happy as larry 😂👍
I feel exactly the same, my boyfriend has really noticed a change in my moods as well as me since I have started taking this pill, I always feel like I am on the verge of crying and everything is negative, would love to come off this but it seems so much hassle. I have even considered the coil because of this
Im 17 and I've taken contraceptions for the last nearly two years of my life whilst I've been sexually active with 3 people. for around a year I took a pill called Levest just because I was advised it wouldn't make me break out and was a good contraceptive but I have small Ocd problems about my skin and still was getting a few spots here and there so I decided to be drastic and go on Dianette (acne contraception) made my skin horrific and made me act insane ( after first month my boyfriend threw them all in the bin) but then for the last 7 months I have been on GEDERAL which I believe has given me the most depression and pain I've ever had in my whole life and I have been to blind and lazy to realise.. I left school and am currently at a collage where I have no friends and my boyfriend is all I have. I also have a couple of family problems. I used to be the most popular and happiest girl for most of my life and never used to give a **** what people thought of it. I am now a completely different person my moods are all over the place and i cry nearly everyday. I am not a weak person and before I took the pills I cried once a month on average. I used to think my life was **** and thats why I'm depressed but slowly I've realised my life is completely fine its just the pills! I think if you have a little sadness in your life this pill will really pull it out and make it out to be a lot worse!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I have been on Marvelon for 10 years and been absolutely fine. My Dr recently decided she was going to give me Gederal because its the same thing. It may have the same composition but it is not reacting well with my body. I too have experienced really bad moods and also continual spotting every day. Im completely over it and am going to go back to my Dr and demand she returns me to my regular pill. I'd like to add that I was forced to change my pill by the Dr for absolutely no reason at all. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to choose what pill I'm on.
Reply 13
Original post by lulalove123
Im 17 and I've taken contraceptions for the last nearly two years of my life whilst I've been sexually active with 3 people. for around a year I took a pill called Levest just because I was advised it wouldn't make me break out and was a good contraceptive but I have small Ocd problems about my skin and still was getting a few spots here and there so I decided to be drastic and go on Dianette (acne contraception) made my skin horrific and made me act insane ( after first month my boyfriend threw them all in the bin) but then for the last 7 months I have been on GEDERAL which I believe has given me the most depression and pain I've ever had in my whole life and I have been to blind and lazy to realise.. I left school and am currently at a collage where I have no friends and my boyfriend is all I have. I also have a couple of family problems. I used to be the most popular and happiest girl for most of my life and never used to give a **** what people thought of it. I am now a completely different person my moods are all over the place and i cry nearly everyday. I am not a weak person and before I took the pills I cried once a month on average. I used to think my life was **** and thats why I'm depressed but slowly I've realised my life is completely fine its just the pills! I think if you have a little sadness in your life this pill will really pull it out and make it out to be a lot worse!!

Did gedarel make your skin any better?
Reply 14
I am experiencing exactly the same and have been feeling as though I am going mad I have been taking this pill for about 5 months and the symptoms are getting worse. I feel depressed and as though I can't remember how to be myself. I am so glad I looked this up and that I am not the only person who has experienced these symptoms from Gedarel.
Reply 15
I have been on this pill for about 6 months due to a change from my doctor. I assume it was changed due to cost effectiveness as I was happy with my previous pill (microgynen) I feel I have gained weight (10pounds) and despite trying for the past 4 weeks now to lose weight nothing has changed. I came online to see if other people were having issues. I have been writing down what I eat and exercising 2/3 times a week but if anything have continued to gain weight/remain the same. It's getting to the point where I'm now depressed bout it! Hoping to be able to change my pill.
I've been looking for ages to find out whether it's likely I could get pregnant on my 7 day break when I should get my period. Or will me taking my pill regularly for the 21 days cover me? It doesn't say anywhere but it seems like such a reasonable question !!
That's a stupid thing to say. She's obviously old enough to realise that something is wrong with her body and has associated it with the pill. The pill van effect some women really strongly and cause so many side effects. Your pumping in loads if hormones of course the pull can be to blame
I never had any dramatic mood changes but it made me gain 13lbs so I've had the oestrogen levels lowered
Reply 19
I am debating to start taking this pill, as that's what the doctor prescribed me but I have really low mood swings and depression as it is but I started to take the pill for my moods as I'm not 18 yet but I also feel asked if I go lower within my moods I'd do something stupid like in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest