The Student Room Group

Cambridge Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Thanks for the advice! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by iammichealjackson
Yeh, well there are quite a few general social science courses (i.e. durham have one) but most applicants are in the same position as Ayresss mentioned. I would tailor your Personal Statement to your other four choices (i.e. politics and IR) and you can include European Languages (don't say something like I have always wanted to study languages at university though!). You are given like 400 more words on the SAQ (specific to cambridge) to talk about HSPS, where you can explain that you like sociology or whatever. This is the tactic most people i know went for...

So... are we supposed to write a 2nd PS for Cambridge or something like that? :confused: I finished my PS already, and thought I included everything relevant...
Original post by AmelieGold
So... are we supposed to write a 2nd PS for Cambridge or something like that? :confused: I finished my PS already, and thought I included everything relevant...

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/saq.html

If you've already done your personal statement then you don't need to worry, you've got loads of time. Nobody told me that i had to do this untill october!
Reply 103
What reading list is everyone using? I was given one on the open day by Newnham and have been using that, primarily focusing on sociology. However, I just so happened to be emailing the undergraduate secretary for sociology from Cambridge and she gave me another 'updated' list (it was updated in July) and it definitely does differ from what I was previously given. If anyone wants it, let me know. Sorry if this post is slightly convoluted! haha
Reply 104
Original post by s_axo
What reading list is everyone using? I was given one on the open day by Newnham and have been using that, primarily focusing on sociology. However, I just so happened to be emailing the undergraduate secretary for sociology from Cambridge and she gave me another 'updated' list (it was updated in July) and it definitely does differ from what I was previously given. If anyone wants it, let me know. Sorry if this post is slightly convoluted! haha

I have been using the one on the King's college website up until now, but I would really appreciate something new to look at so if you could send it to me that would be great! :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Kavalier
I have been using the one on the King's college website up until now, but I would really appreciate something new to look at so if you could send it to me that would be great! :smile:

Sure! I just thought using the most recent list would make the most sense ahah. Have you been focusing your reading primarily on your main interest?
Original post by s_axo
Sure! I just thought using the most recent list would make the most sense ahah. Have you been focusing your reading primarily on your main interest?

Here's another list:
http://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/pps/current/undergraduate/pdf/part1_handbook_11_12.pdf

Albeit some of the papers lists here won't be in HSPS.

I wouldn't stick too rigidly to those reading lists... if you find something interesting on amazon I would get it anyway.
Reply 107
Original post by iammichealjackson
Here's another list:
http://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/pps/current/undergraduate/pdf/part1_handbook_11_12.pdf

Albeit some of the papers lists here won't be in HSPS.

I wouldn't stick too rigidly to those reading lists... if you find something interesting on amazon I would get it anyway.

SO MANY READING LISTS! Yeah that's what I've been doing. Plus I'm doing my EPQ atm so quite a lot of reading has been done there.
Reply 108
Original post by s_axo

Thank you! And yes, up until now I have mostly been reading about social and biological anth, my two preferred subjects. I hope they don't expect us to have read a bit of everything at the interview, I really only have some kind of knowledge of those two haha
Reply 109
Thank you! And yes, up until now I have mostly been reading about social and biological anth, my two preferred subjects. I hope they don't expect us to have read a bit of everything at the interview, I really only have some kind of knowledge of those two haha

Haha! Well in the document that I recently attached it said to focus on reading the subject that you enjoy the most so dont worry :smile: Nervous for results?! xx
Reply 110
Original post by s_axo
Haha! Well in the document that I recently attached it said to focus on reading the subject that you enjoy the most so dont worry :smile: Nervous for results?! xx

I actually finished the Danish equivalent of A-levels this summer so I'm on a gap year now and completely stress-free when it comes to grades and all that :tongue:
Reply 111
I actually finished the Danish equivalent of A-levels this summer so I'm on a gap year now and completely stress-free when it comes to grades and all that :tongue:

Words cannot express my envy!!!! :frown: However I will assume you had awesome results and say WAHEY
Reply 112
Original post by s_axo
Words cannot express my envy!!!! :frown: However I will assume you had awesome results and say WAHEY

It does feel quite good to see everyone on TSR freaking out and knowing I can just sit back and relax :tongue: Then, of course, there is the fear that I will soon see you all getting better results than me. My grades are good, but some people on here are just INSANE
Reply 113
Hi there I got my results for fifth year Int2 English-A, Int2 Maths-A, Higher History-A, Higher RMPS-A and Higher Biology-A. In 6th year I am doing Higher English, Advanced Higher History,
Advanced Higher RMPS and Advanced Higher Biology. I know in fifth year I did not do that much Highers but if I got high marks this would I still be able to apply to this course? I heard Cambridge try to get people who are enthusiastic about their subject and anyone who knows me knows I love politics. I have loads of books on politics and autobiographies by politicians. Do you think I have a chance?

what are you doing during your gap year :biggrin: ? I've also finished high school hurray!
Reply 115
Original post by AmelieGold
what are you doing during your gap year :biggrin: ? I've also finished high school hurray!

Working a lot and saving up as much money as possible, and then travelling for a month or two with a friend next year (hopefully!). So, very standard gap year activities :h:
Reply 116
Hope everyone got what they wanted; I got AAAC! Exactly what I needed (I have 97% average in my 3 best subjects!, so interview is on the cards hopefully)
Original post by s_axo
Hope everyone got what they wanted; I got AAAC! Exactly what I needed (I have 97% average in my 3 best subjects!, so interview is on the cards hopefully)

Well done, they're brilliant results!
Reply 118
Original post by Zoedotdot
Well done, they're brilliant results!

Thank you so much :biggrin: My mom was in hospital and went bankrupt in all the same week before my exams, so I never thought it was possible.
Original post by s_axo
Thank you so much :biggrin: My mom was in hospital and went bankrupt in all the same week before my exams, so I never thought it was possible.

Even better, that's such a massive achievement :party:

I hope the application goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending