Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Zoedotdot
Even better, that's such a massive achievement :party:

I hope the application goes well!

Thank you so much :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by soindie
This course looks UH-Mazing!

Would I be OK applying for Politics at the four other universities .. but going down the Politics/IR/Sociology/Anthropology route at Cambridge?

This is exactly what I'm planning to do, wow having looked at ppe this course seems so much more for me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Also for those Appying to do politics/IR at other unis, where else are you going to apply to? Xxc

Is anyone here applying to HSPS to do the archaeology modules? :smile:
Original post by Lilempress
Is anyone here applying to HSPS to do the archaeology modules? :smile:

Me! Along with the biological anthropology. Getting nervous with applications and everything now though! What else are you planning on doing?
Original post by JumbleJumble
Me! Along with the biological anthropology. Getting nervous with applications and everything now though! What else are you planning on doing?

I'm just applying for Archaeology! :smile: My AS levels didn't go entirely to plan, so I think I'll be lucky if I get an interview now :frown: although my personal statement is apparently solid.

Did you go to any of the open days this year?

Good luck!
Original post by katiescarlett03
Also for those Appying to do politics/IR at other unis, where else are you going to apply to? Xxc

St Andrews, Exeter, York, Edinburgh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys
I'm going to be doing bio, chem, maths and econs for A levels. Would that put me at a great disadvantage when applying for this course as compared to someone who's done subjects like history and geog? :frown:

Original post by bluedraycott
Hey guys
I'm going to be doing bio, chem, maths and econs for A levels. Would that put me at a great disadvantage when applying for this course as compared to someone who's done subjects like history and geog? :frown:

Not at all. HSPS is one of those courses where there are no prerequisite subjects, and a vast number of current students came to Cambridge without having studied any element of the course before. I'm going into my third year now of the Politics, Psychology and Sociology course, and took English, French and Classics at A level. I wasn't at a disadvantage - I just read around the areas I was interested in before interview. What they're looking for is enthusiasm, motivation and the ability to think for yourself and battle with new concepts - prior study isn't really necessary. Economics will definitely come in useful! The only thing you might find a struggle is that it is very much an essay-based course, but you can improve your writing skills if you get here.
I'm just applying for Archaeology! :smile: My AS levels didn't go entirely to plan, so I think I'll be lucky if I get an interview now :frown: although my personal statement is apparently solid.

Did you go to any of the open days this year?

Good luck!

Yeah I went to the arch&anth one in the spring. How about you?

Well done for getting your personal statement done well, and I'm sure your As results aren't too bad!

Good luck to you too!
Yeah I went to the arch&anth one in the spring. How about you?

Well done for getting your personal statement done well, and I'm sure your As results aren't too bad!

Good luck to you too!

Yes, I went to the one in Spring too! :biggrin:

Which college are you applying to? I've applied at Jesus :smile:
Yes, I went to the one in Spring too! :biggrin:

Which college are you applying to? I've applied at Jesus :smile:

Jesus too! It seemed really friendly and lovely.
Jesus too! It seemed really friendly and lovely.

Awh! May see you at interview then, if I get an interview that is! haha :tongue:
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to HSPS (a bit last minute, of course) and I'm going to choose Jesus college. I saw that some of you are also choosing Jesus, so I'm wondering what type of essay you're going to submit?

I just graduated from the IB Diploma programme (if you know about it?) and unfortunately I have not taken any HSPS related subjects; I think that my TOK essay is the only one I can possibly submit. What do you think about choosing a TOK essay?

I appreciate your help!
/ Cecilia
Apparently Clare college is extremely popular this year for HSPS :s-smilie: Does this make it harder to get an offer?
Applying to King's for this course :smile: Planning to go for Politics, IR, Sociology, and Social Anthropology.
Original post by CeciliaKarlsson
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to HSPS (a bit last minute, of course) and I'm going to choose Jesus college. I saw that some of you are also choosing Jesus, so I'm wondering what type of essay you're going to submit?

I just graduated from the IB Diploma programme (if you know about it?) and unfortunately I have not taken any HSPS related subjects; I think that my TOK essay is the only one I can possibly submit. What do you think about choosing a TOK essay?

I appreciate your help!
/ Cecilia

It might be interesting to them, the skills gained from thinking around such an abstract topic will potentially be interesting: which title did you submit? The other stuff you could think about would be your Extended Essay if relevant, or something else that proves your writing skills: either your first language (presumably English) or whatever Group 3 subject you did?
Original post by CLS94
Applying to King's for this course :smile: Planning to go for Politics, IR, Sociology, and Social Anthropology.

Hey. Were you at the Kings Open Day by any chance?
Original post by CLS94
It might be interesting to them, the skills gained from thinking around such an abstract topic will potentially be interesting: which title did you submit? The other stuff you could think about would be your Extended Essay if relevant, or something else that proves your writing skills: either your first language (presumably English) or whatever Group 3 subject you did?

I hope so. I chose "Compare and contrast knowledge which can be expressed in words/symbols with knowledge that cannot be expressed in this way. Consider CAS and one or more areas of knowledge."
I'm not sure about my EE though, I only got B on it and I wrote about the effcts of guilt in Harry Potter and the DH (perhaps not the best book? haha), while I got an A for TOK. What do you think is the best?

I assume you went IB as well? Which TOK topic did you choose? And what type of essay are you considering to submit?

Thanks for the help by the way!
Original post by CeciliaKarlsson
I hope so. I chose "Compare and contrast knowledge which can be expressed in words/symbols with knowledge that cannot be expressed in this way. Consider CAS and one or more areas of knowledge."
I'm not sure about my EE though, I only got B on it and I wrote about the effcts of guilt in Harry Potter and the DH (perhaps not the best book? haha), while I got an A for TOK. What do you think is the best?

I assume you went IB as well? Which TOK topic did you choose? And what type of essay are you considering to submit?

Thanks for the help by the way!

I'm doing the IB, and am part way through my second year right now but I haven't got a TOK essay yet because my college made a mistake and gave us the titles for the November session instead of May ( :angry: ). I think Harry Potter may not be the best in this case, I personally have nothing against it but it could well raise the eyebrows of a Cambridge admissions tutor in quite an unfavorable way. The TOK essay sounds good, it's quite academic and shows thought which is both logical and open minded, qualities Cambridge tend to appreciate. Do you know what the breakdown of your TOK grade is? (specifically, did you get an A in the essay or a high B made up for by an A grade presentation?)

Which Group 3 subject did you take? In most cases you could consider something from that as well. In my case, I'm probably going to go for a History essay based on either the use of guerrilla warfare in the Algerian War of Independence or the success of the responses of Hoover and Roosevelt to the Great Depression :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending