The Student Room Group

you are not dyslexic!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idle
No but then again the workplace isn't about evaluating your academic potential. If someone is badly dyslexic they are hardly going to aim for a career where they have to write essays all day and if they do so they should have to work to the same level as everyone else.

Well yes of course not, but English is important when it comes to any job. Well that was what I was asking, you feel they should have to work at the same level as everyone else and if not, they shouldn't be in that job, am I correct in saying that is what you believe?
Reply 81
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Well yes of course not, but English is important when it comes to any job. Well that was what I was asking, you feel they should have to work at the same level as everyone else and if not, they shouldn't be in that job, am I correct in saying that is what you believe?

I am dyslexic myself and yeah that is my opinion. Exams and work are completely different things.
I'm slightly confused about the wrongful dismissal bit, if they don't get extra time to do their work, and therefore don't hand it in on time because they have dyslexia and so are sacked then could that be viewed as wrongful dismissal?

I don't know the ins and outs of employment law, but I certainly think it could be viewed as such, yes. There are various bits of legislation governing this area and which I am not particularly familiar with, such as the Equality Act 2010 and Disability Discrimination Act 2005. Prima facie, employers are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability, but there is a defence relating to the capacity for the employee to perform his duties, so it would depend on the precise interaction of this defence with the general rule. I don't have time to research unfamiliar areas of the law right now, but I imagine the most accurate answer to your question would be "it is a matter of degree".
Reply 83
back tothe original point. i agree
my college brags about being the 3rd/4th best college in the country and the best in my area. On our first day we were all tested for dyslexia. i know many people who have never had any problems before, that now have extra time in exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by MrHappy_J
so according to you im lying about my dyslexia?

I wouldn't say you are lying because it doesn't sound like you want deceive anyone but you are terribly misinformed and wrong about having it. You sound a bit lazy too.
Reply 85
Read below.

They do not take 6 weeks. They take about an hour.

That guy you just corrected claimed to have dyslexia... Do you see the point I'm trying to make? He obviously has no clue about how the system works yet he claims to have it.

Faking dyslexia doesn't need to be an elaborate conspiracy. I can do a bit of research prior to these 'tests' and deliberately do badly in certain areas which would make me look dyslexic.
Reply 86
Original post by plimsolls
If that poster was dyslexic, brow beating them with such useful advice as 'just concentrate harder' would be of no help what-so ever in dealing with the problem(s) that dyslexic people face regarding language. You are an ignorant fool.

From what he said in his post, i deduced that his lack of concentration was the dilemma. What better advice is there than to concentrate harder? Unless you wanna use that as an excuse for ADHD and start drugging him up? :rolleyes:
Reply 87
Look. I'm not turning this into a debate. As I said earlier, I believe dyslexia is the greatest student hoax known to man. Deal with it, son.
Reply 88
Okay, so I'm slightly confused now:tongue: I understand it is a difficult question to answer, as of course you wouldn't refuse help when it is clear it would be beneficial to you.

Okay let me ask you this, if in work you were given a week to complete a task and due to your dyslexia, that was not a workable time frame for you, but that is what the job requires, and your colleagues are able to do it in that time. Would you expect to get extra time, when your colleagues did not, and the task actually needs to be done in that time frame?

Also, if you couldn't complete the work in said time, when you were told that it needs to be done in a week or else they would have to let you go, would you consider getting sacked, being wrongfully dismissed?

I'm quite interested to hear your opinions on the matter :smile:

I know you weren't asking me but I think I can give you an answer speaking as a dyslexic and dyspraxic. It's about budgeting you're time differently yes some tasks are going to take me longer e.g. typing but that just means that I have to work a bit longer than other people to complete the same task perhaps taking a shorter lunch break or staying a little. The difference between an exam environment and the workplace is that you're not competing with however many people are taking that particular exam you're just completing the task to the spec. asked of you by your superiors.
This is only loosely relevant, but my friend has been tested a few times for dyslexia. He was tested outside of school and was diagnosed as having dyslexia, but then was tested inside school and they told him he was "borderline." He doesn't get extra time in exams, but if you listen to him read out loud in class, or maybe try to read some of his written work, it's quite clear that he struggles.
I have another friend who is dyslexic (this has never been disputed, she is dyslexic) but she also doesn't get extra time in exams. She doesn't really seem to need it. She doesn't have anywhere near as much difficulty as my other friend does. She does sometimes stumble over words when she's reading out loud, but on the whole, he seems to struggle far more than she does.
Original post by Zangoose
I wouldn't say you are lying because it doesn't sound like you want deceive anyone but you are terribly misinformed and wrong about having it. You sound a bit lazy too.

im not wrong or misinformed, i was assessed by someone who knows a great deal more about it than you do, and i'm certainly not lazy.

oh and i'm not steve.
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, so I'm slightly confused now:tongue: I understand it is a difficult question to answer, as of course you wouldn't refuse help when it is clear it would be beneficial to you.

Okay let me ask you this, if in work you were given a week to complete a task and due to your dyslexia, that was not a workable time frame for you, but that is what the job requires, and your colleagues are able to do it in that time. Would you expect to get extra time, when your colleagues did not, and the task actually needs to be done in that time frame?

Also, if you couldn't complete the work in said time, when you were told that it needs to be done in a week or else they would have to let you go, would you consider getting sacked, being wrongfully dismissed?

I'm quite interested to hear your opinions on the matter :smile:

yeah i would expect some extra time but then again bosses can be fairly unsympathetic about this. its not about how much time i get compared to the others, it's about how much time i need to complete the task just as well. if i was to be dismissed because of it i would consider it unfair but probably wouldnt take the matter further as im fairly fatalistic about this. i dont know though, ive never had a job so i dont know what support there is for dyslexics. but it is actually illegal to openly discriminate against someone with a disability. I wouldn't expect to be chucked out of university for not handing in an assignent on time so the same applies for a job, I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Read below.

That guy you just corrected claimed to have dyslexia... Do you see the point I'm trying to make? He obviously has no clue about how the system works yet he claims to have it.

Faking dyslexia doesn't need to be an elaborate conspiracy. I can do a bit of research prior to these 'tests' and deliberately do badly in certain areas which would make me look dyslexic.

um why are you trying to dispute the fact that my test took six sessions to complete? you cant prove me wrong on this one.

oh and i'm a girl. despite my username.
He obviously has no clue about how the system works yet he claims to have it.

Enlighten us, please.

From start to finish, i.e. first screening test through to receiving your support plan DOES take 6 weeks, give or take.
It can take up to 12 weeks to actually receive your support.
These vary between funding body, uni and local authority, but in general 6 weeks is a close approximation to the average timescale.
So far its taken me 7 weeks (taking away 4 weeks Christmas) to get to the point where I've receive confirmation for my funding body and am about to get information of what support I will get.

I love the fact you are disregarding information from people going through this 'system' first hand, when you seem to believe dyslexia is all a lie!
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't know the ins and outs of employment law, but I certainly think it could be viewed as such, yes. There are various bits of legislation governing this area and which I am not particularly familiar with, such as the Equality Act 2010 and Disability Discrimination Act 2005. Prima facie, employers are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability, but there is a defence relating to the capacity for the employee to perform his duties, so it would depend on the precise interaction of this defence with the general rule. I don't have time to research unfamiliar areas of the law right now, but I imagine the most accurate answer to your question would be "it is a matter of degree".

Okay thanks :smile:
Original post by greenpeas
I know you weren't asking me but I think I can give you an answer speaking as a dyslexic and dyspraxic. It's about budgeting you're time differently yes some tasks are going to take me longer e.g. typing but that just means that I have to work a bit longer than other people to complete the same task perhaps taking a shorter lunch break or staying a little. The difference between an exam environment and the workplace is that you're not competing with however many people are taking that particular exam you're just completing the task to the spec. asked of you by your superiors.

Ah okay I see now, thanks :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by jords321
back tothe original point. i agree
my college brags about being the 3rd/4th best college in the country and the best in my area. On our first day we were all tested for dyslexia. i know many people who have never had any problems before, that now have extra time in exams.

My school is the same.:confused:
Original post by lonelykatana
Enlighten us, please.

From start to finish, i.e. first screening test through to receiving your support plan DOES take 6 weeks, give or take.
It can take up to 12 weeks to actually receive your support.
These vary between funding body, uni and local authority, but in general 6 weeks is a close approximation to the average timescale.
So far its taken me 7 weeks (taking away 4 weeks Christmas) to get to the point where I've receive confirmation for my funding body and am about to get information of what support I will get.

I love the fact you are disregarding information from people going through this 'system' first hand, when you seem to believe dyslexia is all a lie!

I just had a look at his profile :lol:

lo and behold Zangoose, the one and only source of The Truth. Let him not be negged as this clearly is a sign of our ignorance! Let us all worship the Messiah! Everything he says must be taken at face value or else we shall perish!
there are an awful lot of people who are dyslexic but dont get tested, maybe the fact that they test them all pick up on all of those who are but dont get it picked up... if that makes sense :s-smilie:
i did the preliminary test at college and again at uni both of which said i am dyslexic but i never carried it on to the actual test... i wonder how many others are the same...
im lucky that it only really effects me in the fact that i cant spell to save my life, which lets be honest isnt really that much of an issue in comparison to people like my friends sister has problems reading, writing and spelling, its such a difficult thing to judge because you cant see it as such..
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Alexander94
My english Lit ones were about critiquing literature, I was more looking at english language ones... mine were pretty much testing your writing ability. Extra time in literature is a bit more of a grey area, that is as you say not about your writing ability. I don't agree that other exams are tested on spelling and grammar.

I think the majority exams should be sat on computers anyway, no one really writes stuff by hand anymore and it will be even less so in the future. I'm fine at typing, I can just not make my hands work fast enough!

And thereby lies the answer to how dyslexics cope in a working environment, they use a computer just like everyone else. They are able to use the features to assist with spelling and grammar etc. no problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending