A little help Watch

queenofdiamonds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, I am an American planning to travel to London... and I was wondering how hard it is to get a license. I have one for America, and I was wondering how long it takes to get on? Any advice?

queenofdiamonds :elefant:
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm pretty sure the british driving test is harder than most others in the world..

if you regularly drive in america you might just need to brush up, and you'll be okay.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hello fellow American. Your license is valid for 1 year in the UK. I still have only my Texas DL, no UK license. I keep going home and back before the year is up.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, the US test is a joke. I'v never heard of anyone failing. Ever.

There, you take a 2 week course, and you just sort of graduate at the end. No driving test. Then you go to the Department of Motor Vehicles office, take a short multiple choice theory test, then get your license.
queenofdiamonds
Rep:
?
Ok, that is good. I drive every day here. So driving in England isn't too different than the USA, right... well except for driving on the wrong side of the road. What about the insurance and such?

PS: In california you need to take two weeks of drivers ed, pass the final test to get you permit, then you drive for at least 6 mos, take the test (writen and practial) to get a license if you are a minor. I have no idea how it goes for an adult.
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To get a full UK licence you need to pass a theory test which involves 35 multiple choice questions and a hazard perception test.

Then the practical test which has:
Paralell parking, three point turns, reversing round corners, maybe bay parking, roundabouts, dual carrigeways....Theres alot

Insurance will probably be the same for a new UK driver for you, so Β£1000-1500 insurance and Β£1000 for car, theres road tax which is about Β£100 for a small car and every year it has to pass an MOT

You should be fine, but read up on roundabouts first lol
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by queenofdiamonds)
Ok, that is good. I drive every day here. So driving in England isn't too different than the USA, right... well except for driving on the wrong side of the road. What about the insurance and such?

PS: In california you need to take two weeks of drivers ed, pass the final test to get you permit, then you drive for at least 6 mos, take the test (writen and practial) to get a license if you are a minor. I have no idea how it goes for an adult.
It's VERY different; the main one being our lovely sharp bends and our ever so gorgeous roundabouts (or Rotaries :confused: I think Americans call it)
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
roundabouts, the fact most cars are stick shifts and that laws such as you can turn right on a red if its clear not existing are some of the main differences I can think of off the top of my head.
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There will be some different rules etc on the roads as well as the roundabouts etc being different. You could try and get hold of a copy of the highway code - its pretty cheap and read through that. Its got all the rules and regs of the road in and is easy to understand. You could have a look through just so that you are aware of ths things that are different.
queenofdiamonds
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ynox)
the fact most cars are stick shifts
OK, I drive automatic, so that will be a minor problem... I only wanted to know, because I was looking into being an Au Pair and most of the listings want a drivers liscense. I figure that if I read the code I should be OK. I will only be in London for 6 mos, so can I get insurance and pay monthly or is it yearly??? I don't know... so confused.
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends on the insurers, alot will do monthly pavements.

You will be able to find an automatic car, but it will be harder and more expensive.

Read up on roundabouts, otherwise you'll be screwed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.53%
Leave (354)
20.47%

Watched Threads