The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No bad and shocking stories will sell more. Why do you think tabloids/girl mags are so popular? They stick on a headline like "I was abducted my aliens and I now carry their genetic experiment". It will grab your attention and try and make you buy the paper/mag.
Reply 2
So you're saying that editors just trying to fulfil readers needs?
Thus "No news is good news".
Rose-Red
So you're saying that editors just trying to fulfil readers needs?

Is that surprising? Cater to reader's desires and you sell better. Profit is what most businesses exist for.
Reply 5
When I came to England I thought I noticed that the life is getting worse in the world, but my friend just told me that perhaps there are more bad news broatcast. I'm not saying that in my coutry there is no world news about all those disasters, "wars" and so on. But I think here, in the UK, they are emphasized a bit more. Why? What influences that?
Reply 6
Ferret_messiah
Is that surprising? Cater to reader's desires and you sell better. Profit is what most businesses exist for.

I wonder if people like bad news. Wouldn't it be better if more good news was reported?
Rose-Red
I wonder if people like bad news. Wouldn't it be better if more good news was reported?

Can you see that grabbing much interest?

"Man goes to Middle-East. Is not abducted by terrorists. Has good time. Comes home. More details on page 7"
Reply 8
Ferret_messiah
Can you see that grabbing much interest?

"Man goes to Middle-East. Is not abducted by terrorists. Has good time. Comes home. More details on page 7"

perhaps you're right. It would be boooring :sleep:
Reply 9
Rose-Red
I think you've noticed that television, radio or newspapers are full of bad news. There is even more bad news that the good ones. The thing is that editors decide what to broadcast. I wonder what factors influence their decisions. Do these "bad news" affect us somehow?

They rarely affect us directly, unless one happens to be very unlucky, yet they do have indirect effects.
we british are just pessimistic and like to hear of awful stories so we can go, well its not me1 and also because its not us it enthralls us
News stories are based upon a number of different fdactors, such as negativity, amplitude, elite nations/ people, etc.

Also, it's suprising how many people like watching 'bad news' as one, it gets people talking and 2, it makes people feel 'better' knowing that there are people worse off than they are...
Reply 12
Scots_Law
Yes, lets have newspapers dedicated to fluffy kittens and puppies.

Being tortured by sadistic freaks (such as myself).
Reply 13
guitargirl03
News stories are based upon a number of different fdactors, such as ... amplitude ...

What do you mean by that?

guitargirl03
Also, it's suprising how many people like watching 'bad news' as one, it gets people talking and 2, it makes people feel 'better' knowing that there are people worse off than they are...

I thought only Lithuanians feel good when neighbours have problems :biggrin:
Reply 14
Paddington
we british are just pessimistic and like to hear of awful stories so we can go, well its not me1 and also because its not us it enthralls us

As Bill Bailey said:

"I'm British and therefore I crave disappointment."
Reply 15
J Darnley
No bad and shocking stories will sell more. Why do you think tabloids/girl mags are so popular? They stick on a headline like "I was abducted my aliens and I now carry their genetic experiment". It will grab your attention and try and make you buy the paper/mag.

Only if you're an idiot!
Reply 16
In America they made a news channel that was just good news, needless to say it went bankrupt...
Reply 17
brimstone1
Only if you're an idiot!

Well of course. Most people are too ****ing stupid to be let out of a padded cell. These are also the people who buy things like that.
Reply 18
Elipsis
In America they made a news channel that was just good news, needless to say it went bankrupt...

Hmm, do you know where I could find out more about that?
Reply 19
I just heard about it through word of mouth so i havn't seen it or anything, sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending