Is history GCSE a good subject to take?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I'm choosing my GCSE courses and I'm really not sure wether to take History or not.
Is it a good subject?!
Is it fun?!

Also, I'm doing the course about the origins of medecine or something like that
please help )))
mcs31
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't do that course, but I came out of my GCSE loving the subject and with analytically and essay skills that have really helped me out now
Converse Rocker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's totally subjective, some people loved it, some people hated it. You can't really categorise subjects as 'fun' or 'not fun'. Regarding whether it's good to take or not, it's academic if that's what you're looking for?

As a big fan of the subject though, I thought History was great. I think I did the course you are referring to as well - 'medicine through time'. This will probably get moved to the GCSE section but good luck choosing man

Edit: For what it's worth, I'm doing A level History at the moment. I'm a terrible History nerd though
Dandaman9999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I took history GCSE and really enjoyed it! Because of this I'm continuing it on for A-Level

There is hard work involved, obviously, but nothing that doing the class work and homework regularly won't solve.... There is analysis of source questions which some people dislike, but the actual subject was quite fun and interesting and it is looked very highly upon by universities

Can I ask you what are you hoping to get into when you're older, because the origins of medicine should really help you if you want to get into the medical field (so extra knowledge as a bonus :P), but it is a very good overall subject in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
loved it so much I'm currently doing it for AS It's all well learning about timeless things e.g Maths but History is so interesting.
username818763
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
History is a respected subject. I personally find it one of the most interesting subjects that are out there. It depends on your definition of fun, I mean no subjects are all about fun but if you mean enjoyment then I personally would say yes, but that depends on you. It would also be worthwhile to check out the topics covered in Origins of medicine.
ohio12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi I did history GCSE, and enjoyed it so much that I continued it through to AS and A2 Level! And I even applied to do it at Uni. It is my favourite subject at the moment, I find it very interesting and I think it is a great subject to do good luckkkk
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, it's not the easiest course but it's certainly respected because of the essay writng/analysis skills you're meant to develop during the course.

If you're looking for something fun, however, I wouldn't go for history unless you're really interested in it. Do media studies or something...
Dandaman9999
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No problem! And I guess this extra knowledge will help you in your future then... History does help develop various useful skills, like the ones the other posters are saying, so I would definitely recommend it
Abc1234x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take it ! I mean, I didn't do the same course as you bur from my experience, history is such an interesting subject ; although it was the one I found the hardest, personally..and had to do a couple of module retakes.. - it was still one of my favourite subjects.
The Phelps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends what modules you do! If you get anything to do with medicine through time then avoid History like WWI !!!!!!!!111111!!!!111!!!! If it's other modules then I would suggest you take it.

A neg for that? You Sir/Madam, are a hater!
jwf13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I do that course- Edexcel? Anyway, personally I think History is great. It takes a lot of effort and is quite difficult, but it's really interesting. Also, the skills that you will learn mean it's respected and gives you a really good base for lots of A-Level courses and careers.
star10159
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's no FUTURE in history.

Get it? :cool:
username851717
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
History at GCSE was a bit meh Dont get me wrong I love History, I just felt it wasn't how I wanted to learn it. Far too basic and it really was a case of the good and bad guys (or thats how my teacher put it anyhow)

History at A level now this was better, you actually required some knowledge to understand it

History at Degree :coma: everything I ever wanted!
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. I loved it, wish I'd continued on with it to A level
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found the medicine through time section really interesting but the american west and local study a bit dull . . .
pink pineapple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I really enjoyed it, I did medcine and found it really interesting.
funsongfactory
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take it, it's really valuable and interesting
DeadGirlsDance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a really interesting subject and a well respected one to have as a GCSE. It is good to do just to gain a bit more knowledge about things that have happened in the past anyway.
I didn't do the origins of medicine for mine so i can't say whether you will enjoy it. The best thing to do is to talk to a History teacher about it, they should be able to tell you more about it as well
marquisinspades
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Medicine through time is really good, as not only does it teach you the skills of history (essay writing etc) it also gives you a sense of general historical progression, which can be applied to so many other things...I'd really recommend it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise