The Student Room Group

Extended Essay in comp science

Hi, wanted to get some of your advice. I'm currently in the first year of the IB, and starting to think about extended essays... I believe I should choose comp sci as it's what I want to apply to university with, so it could be helpful in interviews and so on.

So, was thinking about a title... surfed a bit around and saw that most essays are on security of some type, be it internet, computer or whatever.
Perhaps something on Botnets? Seemed like one of the more interesting topics out there.

Any help at all would be great, thanks for taking your time
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure what you need to talk about and what depth you need to go in.. but universities would love you if you wrote about the big unsolved computer science problems. P=NP for example.
Reply 2
Its a 4000 word essay that has to be quite specific and in depth. Ideally it should be a somewhat innovative idea, but that can only be done in certain subjects, whereas in others a deep analysis should do fine.

I had read about the millenium problems, but thought that was a bit out of my reach perhaps.. I'll look into it though, thanks for reminding me
Reply 3
I'm got an offer for comp sci, but let me tell you now, DO NOT do you EE in computer science. If you do that, it will be extremely difficult. Do it in English. Secondly, the EE does not matter to university AT ALL. I'm serious. Are you in Year 1 or Year2, because Year12 doesnt exist.
Reply 4
In my school it goes up to y13, so im in the first year of IB right now. What did you do your extended essay in, english? I've taken into account that it could be quite hard, but then again I do find it very interesting so that might help out a bit
Reply 5
Well, it does matter if you are interested in it. But if you can produce an excellent extended essay in a field where you know the rules (and dont have to use many outside resources,) then you will have no prroblems. I did my EE in English. Okay so you are Year 1 IB. good you've got lot's of time. However, if there are teachers at your school for computer science and you know you can do it, then do it in Comp Sci. I just say English so you can do it quick, get away with it, and even do a good one, because English is easy to write an essay in. but in other subjects, there are no rules. (Well, not like in english anyway). Don't get me wrong, i detest eng. lit. but it was the easiest essay subject for me to choose, and probably the best essay i've written in my life.
Reply 6
Yeah, I'm doing computer science as a course and have a supervisor almost entirely for myself. And my second choice is italian, which I know perfectly so if i need an easy extended thats my option...however i'd prefer to go with CS. So anybody else have any topics that could be interesting?
Reply 7
Original post by tooosh
I'm not sure what you need to talk about and what depth you need to go in.. but universities would love you if you wrote about the big unsolved computer science problems. P=NP for example.

What about NP complete :laugh:
Reply 8
Original post by Ice-Zero
I'm got an offer for comp sci, but let me tell you now, DO NOT do you EE in computer science. If you do that, it will be extremely difficult. Do it in English. Secondly, the EE does not matter to university AT ALL. I'm serious. Are you in Year 1 or Year2, because Year12 doesnt exist.

I disagree, for a subject where you don't need any experience in to get in, only passion, you can really show it by a decent EE essay. As long as you talk about it in your personal statement and interview a bit it does help. If you apply to Oxbridge they will love it, it's great interview material.

Original post by FinalMH
What about NP complete :laugh:

Well why not :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
I disagree, for a subject where you don't need any experience in to get in, only passion, you can really show it by a decent EE essay. As long as you talk about it in your personal statement and interview a bit it does help. If you apply to Oxbridge they will love it, it's great interview material.

Exactly my thoughts. I thought it would be great for interviews and I can include it in my personal statement along with other CS related stuff (such as euler project and so on).

Still looking for more advice on the topic xD
Reply 10
I guess. I was told otherwise at my school. I just would do it so i could graduate because i am cheap like that.

Quick Reply