Centrigrade Watch

slk999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Argh, just had this back (the UCAS centigrade thing) and it's so bloody patronising!! Just because of my GCSE results, A*AABBBBBC (the bad grades in science and maths), it has ruled out most of the best Universities in England!! It has no way of judging your intellectual curiosity at all- it's really stupid. I'm predicted AAA/B for AS and thinks I should go to Napier Polytechinic/Uni in Scotland based on my C grade maths GCSE so I can read English Lit which i want to. :mad: I'm just going to throw this in the bin- I notice it's rubbed off Oxford and Cambridge and Exeter and London Unis and Cardiff all because of my BB in science and my C in maths- and I don't even want to do maths/science!! My A* btw was in english lit- argh-it just really annoys me lots and lots.:mad: Sorry for the rant! Anyone else done this test thing?
Alan Smithee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Get good A Levels and it should alleviate the problem.
*River
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've done it, some of my year found it useful, the rest of us have binned it.
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I never bothered to take such a test, I knew what I wanted to do and by a process of elimination found out where I could go based on Alevels and where I wanted to go out of those
follow your A-levels and your heart :p:

he, and the stamford test reckoned I should be an accountant or a business manager
[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We were practicaly forced to do it-it was exciting for teachers as I think we were the first year. :mad:

Most of found it useful but it told me I was going to do Business Studies and Education... :eek:

I don't know how, I've never been near a Business Studies classroom let alone done a lesson....

I *lost* it :rolleyes:
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't take it, but you got much better G.C.S.E's than me and I got offers from some good top uni's - ok not Oxford/Cambridge, but others. Don't worry about it, just get good A-level grades.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I only got B's in science & maths and now I'm at UCL If you're that worried you could always take maths again at college to bump up your grade?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's just a load of nonsense. How can a computer programme really know what you are capable of based on some test results (craply designed tests at that)?

I remember putting my profile into one of these so-called programmes and I was told to be a tree surgeon!
slk999
Rep:
?
Yeah, good ideas folks, I am pretty hell bent on applying to Oxford/Cambridge as well- but I know for a fact they've admitted people with exactly my GCSE grades- so it's just a load of crap that questionaire thing. Hope my teachers see it that way! (House staff anyway as they don't teach me but are in charge of references and the like).
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That centigrade test was the BIGGEST waste of money ever.
I took it as a way of seeing whether or not I really would be suited to a Law degree, and where I should think about applying to certain unis.

When we got the results back, I realised it was a load of crap before I'd even got past the first page.
My degree potential was "good" or whatever the second highest level was. Friends I have who had FAR lower GCSE grades than me (I'm talking Bs and Cs across the board here) were described as having excellent degree potential.

It suggested I go into a course relating to accountancy or something. Given that my lowest GCSE grade (B) was in maths, that's an entertaining prospect.

Anyone thinking of taking it, really don't bother =]
slk999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Konstantine)
That centigrade test was the BIGGEST waste of money ever.
I took it as a way of seeing whether or not I really would be suited to a Law degree, and where I should think about applying to certain unis.

When we got the results back, I realised it was a load of crap before I'd even got past the first page.
My degree potential was "good" or whatever the second highest level was. Friends I have who had FAR lower GCSE grades than me (I'm talking Bs and Cs across the board here) were described as having excellent degree potential.

It suggested I go into a course relating to accountancy or something. Given that my lowest GCSE grade (B) was in maths, that's an entertaining prospect.

Anyone thinking of taking it, really don't bother =]
Good advice- thanks. I plan to bin asap.
dancingqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a centrigrade test?
slk999
Rep:
?
(Original post by dancingqueen)
It's designed by Cambridge something and UCAS and you have to fill in questionaires and then they send it off and it comes back with a list of Unis and courses you should be looking at. In year 11 we also did one for Careers- equally pointless.
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dancingqueen)
It's basically a paid service where you dot a load of boxes according to your likes and dislikes, and give your academic info.
The Powers That Be then dictate what they think you should do.
It's basically paying to be thrown further into confusion.
And anyway, there are a LOT of very very very similar free services online you could use =]
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Konstantine)
And anyway, there are a LOT of very very very similar free services online you could use =]
alternatively, you could use your head
Sami C
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's absolutely ridiculous. I took it last year, and it only confirmed things I knew (I put I want to be a lawyer and surprise surprise it came back as lawyer). However, what really got me going was that because I put I wear glasses I had huge yellow boxes saying my eyesight was a real worry for my career...I leave you to draw your own conclusions...
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gianthead)
alternatively, you could use your head
What, and take responsibility for your own decisions, rather than going through some corporate future-predictor blastmaster 2000 machine?
Surely not :p:
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here it is:
http://www.coa.co.uk/centigrade/?s=s

Take it with a pinch of salt.
db
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
like all tests like that I wouldn't really read to much into it, most of them seem to use any sort of excuse to narrow down the options

however, saying that because your 'bad' grades are in science and maths that it shouldn't matter is only really lying to yourself, expecially when applying to top universities, at the Oxbridge and London University level people will do well in all/most of their subjests regardless of course relevance
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's a very superficial outlook on the process.
By no means are grades the be-all and end-all of an application. For a humanities course especially, grades pertaining to the relevant course are prioritised. Any extra-curricular activities will also be taken into account.
To the OP: email any admissions tutors you want to talk to, they'll be able to discuss you suitability with you. Just do it after this UCAS cycle has slowed a bit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (154)
45.43%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.57%

Watched Threads