For Further Maths, what modules do I need to take for the full A level + questions.

Watch
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Edexcel Examboard)

For Maths A level I did C1 C2 M1, and C3 C4 M2.

For AS Further Mathematics I'm doing FP1, S1, S2 or D1 (Not sure which?)

For the full A level in Further Mathematics, what do I need to do? Do I have to do all FP1, FP2 and FP3 or just FP1 and FP2? I'd like to keep it as easy as possible to be honest, so if FP3 is harder than my other options I'd rather not do it.

Are there any other modules besides D1/D2 and the higher Mechanics modules? Is there any other 'X1' module?

Also, how do you get an A* in Further Mathematics? I keep reading different answers so could someone just clarify it for me once and for all.

Thank you
FloydRix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only have to do Fp1.
Ree69
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You just need FP1 and one of either FP2 or FP3. I think the general consensus is that FP2 is easier than FP3 - although opinions will vary. I myself did OCR, but the integration chapter in the Edexcel FP3 does look quite nasty.

And just pick any 4 other applied modules if you're desperate to avoid FP3; S1/2 + D1/2 is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about what constitutes for AS and what constitutes for A2 (or what constitutes as single maths and what constitutes as further maths, for that matter) - the modules will be allocated in the best possible way to work in your favour come results day. Just make sure you do (at least) 12 in total!

With regards to getting an A* in FM (this must have been posted at least 68639 times by now), you need an average of 90 UMS across three modules (so that's 270/300 UMS) that are A2 units and are a part of your FM A-Level.

So basically any unit that isn't M1, S1, D1, FP1, and of course, C1-4. If you've done well in M2 already then this could be transferred to FM and could count towards your A* (assuming your Maths A-Level hasn't been certified or you've been entered for re-certification).

I should also mention you also need an average of 80 UMS average across your 6 FM modules (that's 480/600). Again, I wouldn't worry about this - if you're aiming for a 90 UMS average in 3 A2 FM units, then you'll 'only' need an average of 70 UMS (210/300) in your other remaining 3; some of which will be AS ones.
A level Az
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Ree69)
You just need FP1 and one of either FP2 or FP3. I think the general consensus is that FP2 is easier than FP3 - although opinions will vary. I myself did OCR, but the integration chapter in the Edexcel FP3 does look quite nasty.

And just pick any 4 other applied modules if you're desperate to avoid FP3; S1/2 + D1/2 is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about what constitutes for AS and what constitutes for A2 (or what constitutes as single maths and what constitutes as further maths, for that matter) - the modules will be allocated in the best possible way to work in your favour come results day. Just make sure you do (at least) 12 in total!

With regards to getting an A* in FM (this must have been posted at least 68639 times by now), you need an average of 90 UMS across three modules (so that's 270/300 UMS) that are A2 units and are a part of your FM A-Level.

So basically any unit that isn't M1, S1, D1, FP1, and of course, C1-4. If you've done well in M2 already then this could be transferred to FM and could count towards your A* (assuming your Maths A-Level hasn't been certified or you've been entered for re-certification).

I should also mention you also need an average of 80 UMS average across your 6 FM modules (that's 480/600). Again, I wouldn't worry about this - if you're aiming for a 90 UMS average in 3 A2 FM units, then you'll 'only' need an average of 70 UMS (210/300) in your other remaining 3; some of which will be AS ones.
Thank you very much for the info Can I just ask, did you find D1/D2 a nightmare or was it alright in comparison to the other modules?
Ree69
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by A level Az)
Thank you very much for the info Can I just ask, did you find D1/D2 a nightmare or was it alright in comparison to the other modules?
I didn't do D1 nor D2 - sorry!
JordanS94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey I thought you had to do FP1, FP2 and FP3 for the full A-level... or my college is forcing one on us ¬¬ D1 is really nice in my opinion I didn't even need to revise for my exam and I still got 90+ ums. D2 is still nicer that M2 and S2 imo even though it is extremely boring :/
and to get an A* you need an average of 90 ums in all 3 exams which count towards A2... which I am not going to get because FP3 includes vector which I fail completely at, I even fail at M1 vectors ¬¬
Rubyx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
maths: C1, C2, C3, C4 with S1 and S2. further maths: FP1, FP2, FP3 with D1, D2 and M1. would that be okay for A2 maths and further maths? or could I do m2 instead if fp3??
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One factor to consider in module choices is the exam timetable. A lot of applied modules are doubly scheduled on the same days. With careful choice doing two exams in one day can be avoided.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads