The Student Room Group

Firm and insurance choice help!

Hey guys! What do you guys reckon to go with, I have offers from
Birmingham-AAB
Leeds-AAB
Loughborough-ABB
Sussex-ABB
Queen Mary-BBB
My AS grades were ABBCE I know I can get it up to AABB(because I dropped one subject) here are the options
1.Birmingham(Firm) and Loughborough(Insurance)
2.Birmingham(Firm) and Queen Mary(Insurance)
3.Loughborough(Firm) and Queen Mary(Insurance)
I have asked everybodys opinion, some have told me go with option 2 to you will get a wider range AAB-BBB some say dont put yourself underpressure and go for option 3 ABB-BBB. so I am confused what do you guys reckon?
I'm at Bham, it's awesome. When I applied my Firm and Insurance were AAB and AAB lol. Don't go for the easy route unless you prefer those, also you should now have a pretty decent idea of what grades your going to get (or you will after January results). I remember knowing I wasn't going to get lower than ABB.

Clearing in MechEng normally isn't terrible, my advice would be put your firm in the place you want to go to the most and the insurance in the place you like the most after that (providing it has lower entry requirements).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
I'm at Bham, it's awesome. When I applied my Firm and Insurance were AAB and AAB lol. Don't go for the easy route unless you prefer those, also you should now have a pretty decent idea of what grades your going to get (or you will after January results). I remember knowing I wasn't going to get lower than ABB.

Clearing in MechEng normally isn't terrible, my advice would be put your firm in the place you want to go to the most and the insurance in the place you like the most after that (providing it has lower entry requirements).

Thanks A Lot!:biggrin: I really liked Bham and Lufbra when I visited it them, so most probably I will put them, let see hwat other think!How leniant is Bham? Imagine I get ABBB instead of AAB?
I'd say do option 1, as long as you are reasonably confident that you can get at least ABB.

Both Birmingham and Loughborough are very good Universities and well respected for Engineering.

If you think that you can get AAB it'd be a shame to set your bar low and end up with good A levels like those but at a University which you could have done better than.
Original post by historophilia
i'd say do option 1, as long as you are reasonably confident that you can get at least abb.

Both birmingham and loughborough are very good universities and well respected for engineering.

If you think that you can get aab it'd be a shame to set your bar low and end up with good a levels like those but at a university which you could have done better than.

thanks a lot!:smile:
Original post by razmazterz
thanks a lot!:smile:

No problem, there's nothing wrong with setting yourself a challenge, you don't want to regret taking the easy option later on in life :smile:
Original post by Historophilia
No problem, there's nothing wrong with setting yourself a challenge, you don't want to regret taking the easy option later on in life :smile:

Very True! :yikes:I just made my biggest desicions in life, I choose option 1 on UCAS:eek3:!:smile: Thanks for the help.:smile:
Reply 7
Bear in mind that Universities will often accept you if you fall just one grade below what they ask. With that in mind, I would go with option 1, especially since you think that you can get AAB anyway.
Very True! :yikes:I just made my biggest desicions in life, I choose option 1 on UCAS:eek3:!:smile: Thanks for the help.:smile:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: they're both good Unis and I'm sure you'd be happy at either. But fingers crossed for Birmingham!
Original post by Historophilia
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: they're both good Unis and I'm sure you'd be happy at either. But fingers crossed for Birmingham!

THANKS A LOT :top:!
Original post by CJAW
Bear in mind that Universities will often accept you if you fall just one grade below what they ask. With that in mind, I would go with option 1, especially since you think that you can get AAB anyway.

Very True, I went for option 1 in the end:smile:
Reply 11
Very True, I went for option 1 in the end:smile:

Nice, I think that's a good choice.

Quick Reply

Latest